Greek Yoghurt that doesn't cost the earth!

Options
carly_am
carly_am Posts: 145 Member
Hi UK-ers!

I have recently started eating Greek yoghurt for the protein content as I don't eat meat. However it is so expensive!!

I've only been able to find the Fage Total 0% Greek yoghurt which is about £2.39 for a 500ml tub. I know most supermarkets sell Greek STYLE yoghurt but this tends to be much lower in protein and higher in sugar than actual Greek yoghurt.

Does anyone know of any other Greek yog brands in the UK that are cheaper than the Fage Total 0%?

Replies

• hazeyt123
    hazeyt123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't had myself but a friend of mine sings the praises of the yoghurts they do in Aldi and Lidl, she buys greek and splits it.
    I was going to say Sainburys but when I think about it I think it is greek style.
    In terms of protein have you thought about quinoa? Veggy pal of mine turned me to it the other day, less carbs than pasta and rice but more protein and less fat.
    Had it for lunch today and really quite like it.
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for greek yog!
    Good luck and well done with your weight loss x
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I've heard only good things about lidl and aldi, unfortunately there isn't one in my town. Apparently they do reasonably priced nuts/seeds etc. maybe ill take a trip there some time!

I eat quite a lot of quinoa, usually instead of rice - it is yummy!

I read a lot of (US) users eat cottage cheese as a dessert type thing with honey and fruit so thought I might be able to substitute Greek yoghurt for that as it is also high protien but I couldn't bring myself to put fruit in it!!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I've heard only good things about lidl and aldi, unfortunately there isn't one in my town. Apparently they do reasonably priced nuts/seeds etc. maybe ill take a trip there some time!

I eat quite a lot of quinoa, usually instead of rice - it is yummy!

I read a lot of (US) users eat cottage cheese as a dessert type thing with honey and fruit so thought I might be able to substitute Greek yoghurt for that as it is also high protien but I couldn't bring myself to put fruit in it!!
    I've not actually tried quinoa, but I plan to.

As for Greek yoghurt, other than Total, the rest is all Greek-style. I wouldn't have a clue about Aldi or Lidl.

Cottage cheese though - yummy!!! :love: I have it with honey if I want a sugar fix, or add chopped tomato and cucumber with a little ground cumin and a pinch of salt as one savoury option, or just cucumber a little coriander chutney, pickled beetroot works well too. it's a case of experimenting and finding out what works for you taste-wise.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    asdas low fat greek yoghurt is not bad £1 for 500g 57cals and 8g protein in 100g...its a little sour so I chuck in some fruit and a little honey

Tesco does a similar one....they are greek style but I can't afford the 'branded' ones so that's what I get

martyxx
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% has better macros than the cheaper brands of greek style imo so I just cough up for it. I use it in sweet and savoury dishes yum!

I have not mastered quinoa and it always ends up a bit soggy would love a good recipe
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I've yet to find one that has such a thick creamy consistency as the Total - and I was going to suggest Aldi but I see you've not got one close.

A recent discovery for me is Tesco fat free fromage frais, great for eating with fruit, 8g protein per 100g, so slightly lower than the Total but I think I'm right in saying £1 for a similar size tub. It doesn't have the 'tang' that Greek yoghurt can sometimes have either.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Tesco 0% fat Greek style yogurt.
    Tastes better than fage and pretty good on the cost/sugar/protein front.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    asdas low fat greek yoghurt is not bad £1 for 500g 57cals and 8g protein in 100g...its a little sour so I chuck in some fruit and a little honey

Tesco does a similar one....they are greek style but I can't afford the 'branded' ones so that's what I get

martyxx
    Nearest I've found to protein content of fage is asda extra special fat free Greek yog. It's about 1.20 I think.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    Have you thought about trying natural yoghurt instead? I buy the yeo valley non-fat one and it has 13g protein per 170g tub. Not sure on the price or if cheaper brands are as high in protein but might be worth checking as I think there is a lot more choice in natural yoghurt brands.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I also tend to eat Natural yogurt by Yeo Valley. I love that its local ish, has nothing added (like sugar). I always eat full fat. I do like co-op Greek style yogurt, that has a lovely consistency. :love:
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    only ever seen fage, I have also been looking for an alternative, but everything else seems to be greek style. Asda quite often do fage at a reasonable price on special deals but then the price fires back up again for a couple of weeks. I tend to watch out for the special offers and stock up, then buy natural yogurt if I run out while the fage is still full price.
  • SkyVetis
    Options
    my GF eats a lot of greek style, while she does have her more expensive favourites, the morrisons own brand for £1 a tub seems to be good.
  • 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use Easiyo low fat Greek yoghurt ....delicious!!!
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just bought a big tub of the lidl, tastes great and only cost £1.50 or something for 1kg, got a month to eat it too :-) Bargain!
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use Easiyo low fat Greek yoghurt ....delicious!!!

Me too and £2.70 per kg