Am I too fluffy to start this program?

Options
tessa175
tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
Hi all,
So I'm sure this question has already been answered but I went back through the topics and couldn't find it anywhere... I've lost 63lbs with MFP since July, mostly with cardio and circuit training, and am looking for a weight training program to start toning and increasing my strength. I read the book over the weekend and am very interested in the program. (I'll need a trainer to help me with the exercises as I'm a total newbie in the gym, but that's not an issue). I'm 215lbs, 5'5" and still have around 35-40 lbs to go to reach my goal. From reading some of the posts it seems like there will be no weight loss with the program, but obviously a loss in inches, which, though I'm sure I would benefit from is not exactly what I'm looking for. So I'm trying to figure out if this is the right program for me... Is there anyone out there that has started this program at a higher weight? What were your results like?

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am only in week 3, loving it.
    I have around 30lbs to lose. I still do cardio 2 times a week to help woth the weight loss.
    I believe lifting is the way to go for me, hopefully I will have some great results to share one day.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've also got around 40lbs to go (currently my bf is around 34 percent, it was about 36 percent before I started, and my goal is to get to around 20-24% bf), and I'm just starting week 4.

I think that, if you are starting at a healthy body fat percentage, then you won't lose much weight, you will just lose inches. For folks like us, I'm pretty sure we will do both, as long as our calorie intake isn't excessive. I suspect we won't get strength gains as quickly, because like me you are probably reducing your calorie intake which means that sadly muscles won't get fed as much as they want, but lifting heavy seems to be the best way to preserve muscle mass/strength. So if you want to lose lots of weight, from both fat loss and loss of lean body mass, go ahead and do lots of cardio and light lifting. And THEN work on your muscles. But that seems silly.

If you want to lose weight a bit slower, but have a rockin' body when you get down to your goal weight, stick to this.

At least, that's what I suspect will happen. I'm currently testing it out :p I'm also doing cardio (I use my bicycle as my main form of transit, I've done 305 miles so far this month), which helps for a bit of extra calorie burning (probably around 3.5 pounds worth of calories burned this month), but probably isn't helping on the strength front, but the financial savings make up for it.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just started this program today! I am 5'7 224. I don't think its about being "fluffy". Its about building muscle. Muscle WILL burn fat more efficiently and longer than any cardio. I still do C25K and spin on non-lifting days (sometimes c25k on lifiting days if I need a bigger burn). Like they said above, because we have excess fat our muscles will use THAT for fuel. I think if you cut calories but make sure to follow the workout with a protein shake you will be fine. As you get skinnier and more muscular you will have less fat to lose, ie the less the scale drops and the lower your deficit is (hence the focus on inches lost). The good news is the more muscle you burn now, the more it will help you in the long run with your weightloss goals!

Hope this helps!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    So I'm sure this question has already been answered but I went back through the topics and couldn't find it anywhere... I've lost 63lbs with MFP since July, mostly with cardio and circuit training, and am looking for a weight training program to start toning and increasing my strength. I read the book over the weekend and am very interested in the program. (I'll need a trainer to help me with the exercises as I'm a total newbie in the gym, but that's not an issue). I'm 215lbs, 5'5" and still have around 35-40 lbs to go to reach my goal. From reading some of the posts it seems like there will be no weight loss with the program, but obviously a loss in inches, which, though I'm sure I would benefit from is not exactly what I'm looking for. So I'm trying to figure out if this is the right program for me... Is there anyone out there that has started this program at a higher weight? What were your results like?

I currently weigh 212 lbs, 5'5", and 32% body fat. I'm in Stage 3. No reason you can't do it! What matters is lowering your body fat, not your weight. And why wouldn't you want to lower inches without the scale changing? I lost a whole pants size in Stage 1 without the scale moving. I have some weight to lose, but honestly, I'm comfortable weighing more as long as my body fat percentage is heading towards the normal range. Give the program a shot. You might lose weight. But you might not. Either way, you'll be doing your body good!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    As long as you continue to maintain a calorie deficit (burn more than you consume) you will continue to lose weight. The loss will be both fat and muscle. A lifting program helps to minimize muscle loss. As a beginner you will increase your strength considerably if you follow this program.

My advice is to ignore the book's nutrition plan and continue to use MFP the way it's designed to be used:
    1. Maintain a reasonable calorie deficit (lose 1-2 lbs. per week.)
    2. Make sure your activity/lifestyle setting is accurate (don't include dedicated workouts in this setting)
    3. Log your workouts using the Exercise tab. Eat back your extra earned calories. Log your lifting workouts under the "Cardio" tab using "strength training" from the database.

However, you should customize your maco percentages because MFP's defaults are dreadfully low for protein. To do this, go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Increase your protein to 30%. This is the minimum you need. My macros are set to 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat.

While you're on the customization screen, consider increasing your fiber to 25g per day and decrease your sodium to 2,200mg per day; the lower the better. If you have high blood pressure a better number is 1,800mg. You can also overtype the calories consumed per day number to anything you want. You can see the change of your projected weight loss on the right hand side.

Best of luck and congratulations on your weight loss!
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is just what I was looking for! I'd love to get going with lifting as well, but I want to keep losing. Thanks everyone for your responses, it helps a lot!
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there that has started this program at a higher weight? What were your results like?

I started at 290 and in Stage one lost 20 pounds. Now because I have so much to lose I do cardio...30 mins on the bike 3 times a week along with doing 3 NRol4w workouts a week. The thing is us heavier girls need to take the time to work on our balance on some of the single leg stuff. I use the bar on the Smith Machine to just keep my balance when doing lunges...Stage 2 has a lot more single leg stuff (that is the stage I'm on now). As the book suggested, since I was a complete n00b at lifting, I did stage one twice.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    However, you should customize your maco percentages because MFP's defaults are dreadfully low for protein. To do this, go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Increase your protein to 30%. This is the minimum you need. My macros are set to 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat.

thanks so much for this...I was wondering how to increase my protein target.

OP, I agree with all of the posters above that you are not to fluffy for NROL4W. Caloric deficit is the key!
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hiya, i got through stage 1 to stage 3, but stoppped for 8 weeks due to injury, i have about 35lb to lose i DEFINITELY lost weight follwing this programme, can think off the top of my head right now (its in my book in the kitchen), i lost a LOT of inches too, at a faster rate than pounds, but that doesnt matter really, both were coming down nicely :)
  • tessa175
    Options
    Wow ladies, thanks for all the info and encouragement, I've made an appointment to start training next week, I've upped my protien in my macros,set my loss to 1 pound per week, and am rereading the book to make sure I've got all the basics down when I meet the trainer, as he has never heard of the program before..Wish me luck!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Wow ladies, thanks for all the info and encouragement, I've made an appointment to start training next week, I've upped my protien in my macros,set my loss to 1 pound per week, and am rereading the book to make sure I've got all the basics down when I meet the trainer, as he has never heard of the program before..Wish me luck!

Good luck!!
  • tessa175
    Options
    Update:
    I started today and OMG I :heart: Lifting!!! There's something completly empowering about lifting a barbell! My trainer said I have perfect form for squats, (my pushups, haha, they need work) and that he's ordered the book because he thinks the program is really interesing based on what I've shown him so far. I'm sure I'll be sore tommorow, but I can't wait to do workout b on Thursday!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Update:
    I started today and OMG I :heart: Lifting!!! There's something completly empowering about lifting a barbell! My trainer said I have perfect form for squats, (my pushups, haha, they need work) and that he's ordered the book because he thinks the program is really interesing based on what I've shown him so far. I'm sure I'll be sore tommorow, but I can't wait to do workout b on Thursday!

Yay! That is so awesome! Good for you!!!:heart:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Update:

VERY cool!
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love this post, as I am 'fluffy' too! lots of great info! I just got the book last night.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Update:

Yay! I know exactly how you feel! ^__^ I have about 20 + lbs more to drop and I just started nrol4w last week. I'm the only person in my gym I've ever seen use the smith machine (there are no squat racks so I don't have a choice >.<) and I got over the initial hesitation about lifting. I don't care about the ocassional look thrown my way and I roll onto my swiss bal for the jackknife XDD

P.S. Yeah, I literally roll onto the swiss ball because it's just the quickest and simplest way for me to get on it XD
  • tessa175
    Options
    P.S. Yeah, I literally roll onto the swiss ball because it's just the quickest and simplest way for me to get on it XD
    [/quote]

Haha! I do this too, I'm sure it looks awkward and funny to anyone walking by but it really is the easiest way to get into position!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Haha! I do this too, I'm sure it looks awkward and funny to anyone walking by but it really is the easiest way to get into position!
    [/quote]

Haha well, with a 60 sec break, there's not that much time to faff about trying to look glamorous getting onto a swiss ball XD Besides, I just think "one day you're going to wonder what it is about that swiss ball that makes me look so awesome!" ;)
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this post. The one thing standing in my way of buying the book and diving in is the fact that I want to lose about 15-20 pounds. I'm not at goal weight and I want to be solidly in the healthy BMI range before stalling dropping the pounds, even if I lose inches and dress size. I have such a hard time letting go of the number on the scale!
  • tessa175
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this post. The one thing standing in my way of buying the book and diving in is the fact that I want to lose about 15-20 pounds. I'm not at goal weight and I want to be solidly in the healthy BMI range before stalling dropping the pounds, even if I lose inches and dress size. I have such a hard time letting go of the number on the scale!

Phizzy:
    I've just finished stage one, with a 500 calories a day cut but eating back all of my exercise calories, and I'm steadily losing a pound a week still, not to mention the almost two inches from my waist and 1 1/4" from my thighs. I've still got 30 pounds to go to reach my ideal weight but I feel so awesome. It's definately worth the effort!