Confession- Do I lose my geek badge?

Options
Kennkaru
Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
I've watched a season and a half....and I really can't stand The Walking Dead.
Lazy writing, terrible acting, and so many elements directly ripped off from other zombie stories that were already ripping off from something else.

I know that a lot of people love the show. Some even claim they can't stop watching it, despite their admission that it is a bad show. So far, the only claims anyone has made to me in defense of it is "it's not as bad as (some other terrible show)" or "I heart zombies."

I can watch twelve hours of Downton Abbey but somehow this violent and graphic show about flesh-eating zombies is painfully boring.

I am sincerely interested in understanding why it is so popular, and I WANT to like it.
I've heard that I have to get through the first two seasons so that I can watch season 3, when the show "gets good."

So why have I watched a season and a half of a show I don't like? I keep thinking that I'm missing something. I keep thinking it will grow on me. It has not.

Are there others here who share my opinion? If you LOVE the show, please help me understand why. I'm in need of your guidance.

Thanks! -Katherine

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I think you're safe - IMO it's getting to be too much drama and not enough zombie.

Just make sure you find a cancelled sci-fi show to obsess about in your new free time. Star Trek, Firefly, etc.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree. I watched the half of the first season and don't see what's go great....
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've seen every Star Trek episode that exists, and have watched Firefly maybe twelve or thirteen times.
    So I guess it's safe to say those were good suggestions for my interests :)
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yes, you lose your geek badge. Please put it in the box as you exit the building.

Seriously, though, if you only like stuff because they are trendy with a group of geeks, then what makes you a geek? Screw that. I think the point of being a geek is liking whatever you like regardless of what is popular. Otherwise, you would just be a hipster. Hate The Walking Dead all you want, and don't care if other people like you or dislike you for it.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was hooked from episode one. I think the show has some pretty excellent acting at times, especially Rick this season.

However, not everyone has to love every show. People are crazy over Mad Men and I just find it boring. It's like "Really, I get it already. Life in the '60s seemed ideal, but people had secrets, and aren't we happy that we don't have to all hide our true identities now, but hey, we're still kind of nostalgic because they were just so damn classy." Yawn.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    **** you got a badge, damn i need to save more frosties tokens :tongue:
    I wouldn't worry though it isn't everyones cup of tea like trek vs wars, rings vs potter
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    hB2A0D346

We're all geeks for different things (I sometimes feel alone in my love for Excel) so no badge needed. :-)
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It's just one show...when there are so many more to LOVE! Heck, you can dislike TV and still be a geek.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Of course not! Everyone enjoys different things. Some people hate ALL zombies. It doesn't make them any less of a geek/nerd/whatever term you want to use.

I've never seen Firefly. It's on my radar but it's not something I feel I need to see. Does that make me a bad nerd? Not at all. Different strokes for different folks!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    If it helps, my husband and I feel this way about fringe. Last weekend we tried to watch it again, becuase people keep pushing it on us, and Nick turned to me and was like "I kind of feel like maybe everyone else is trolling us, or like they all watch it because they've found some way to enjoy it as a bad show, but they aren't explaining themselves well or something."

But even my friend who pushes Fringe on me said the walking dead wasn't good. So I haven't even tried it. The only thing that makes you a geek in my mind is being really into the things you're into often within a particular sphere of geekery, not some nebulous checklist of 'geek' things you must do to qualify for a membership card. Because good lord, its a pretty damn long checklist. When would you sleep?
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I tried to watch Fringe when it first came out but I just couldn't get into it.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    We're all geeks for different things (I sometimes feel alone in my love for Excel) so no badge needed. :-)

I just made an insurance premium rating engine/quote schedule PDF program using excel - i fist bumped the air more than once in the office from version 1.0 through to 2.0 :happy:
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Can't get into it either. I think I was zombied out at Zombieland!!

However.... put a zombie in a table top rpg and I'm in, and if you could make it nazi zombies too that would be great!! (I know that's a little bit non pc but I'm a middle aged mum with 4 kids, I've got to get my fun somewhere!)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I tried to watch Fringe when it first came out but I just couldn't get into it.

I tried so hard to like fringe I really did but no dice.......
  • mruntidy
    Options

However.... put a zombie in a table top rpg and I'm in, and if you could make it nazi zombies too that would be great!! (I know that's a little bit non pc but I'm a middle aged mum with 4 kids, I've got to get my fun somewhere!)

Nah its not non pc, we won both wars, technically we should be able to say 'make me a cup of tea NOW, n theyd have to do it' as said on The Fast Show :wink:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to not like Walking Dead and still be a geek. Hell it's fairly mainstream really.

I do like the show, but it does have a few problems. I think it could better with the challenges of extending out a zombie movie into a continuing narrative of a television series. Zombies attack, people die, and add a dash of day time tv drama for good measure. Rince repeat. It can be kind of a hard balancing act. You give too much zombie gore and people eventually kind of get bored with it. Give too much human drama, and then people wonder where the zombies are. Something has to change the nature of the game in a systemic way for it hold people's attentions. Some of that is happening, but it seems like they thought of it a little too late.

Still going to watch it, though.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No badge loss. Zombie love is just one categorey of geekyness.
    It's a rather popular comic book series, perhaps it's easier to love if you've read them.
    I was bored halfway through the first episode BUT I don't care about zombies. Sorry, zombie-cores!
    I'm more history and sci-fi friendly. My horror-geek friends still love me. lolz 8)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options

OOOoo Nazi zombies rpg would be bomb!!
    "omg we opened an old bunker... filled with undead.... SS!!!" (yeah I'm bored)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    not at all. like you say its not that well written. but i still find it fun.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    I've seen every Star Trek episode that exists, and have watched Firefly maybe twelve or thirteen times.
    So I guess it's safe to say those were good suggestions for my interests :)

Um... hai. No, you didn't lose your geek badge. heck, my first response was Wow! I wonder if she's single! :) Your geek badge is safe!