To have an epidural or not .. that is the question?

Options
13»

Replies

• jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had an epidural with my daughter and it hurt like hell but I would do it again. The pain went away and I was able to relax. I just got the shakes from it really bad but it was ok bc I wasn't hurting anymore. I tore pretty bad so I was very glad I didn't have to actually feel any of that when it happened bc I had to get quite a bit of stitches afterwards so was glad I could lie there then and feel absolutely nothing. I just wish it didn't hurt so dang bad! I'm pregnant again and really dreading that part of it but I will be getting another epidural bc going through the labor itself is very hard. I didn't get my epidural until I was already dilated to 7 cm bc they took forever to give it to me and by the time I finally got it, I was getting ready to lose it! I just couldn't take it anymore going through so much pain! Good luck to you!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had an epidural with my first - I was induced at 10 days late, and the pitocin finally got to me. However, by the time I asked for one and finally got it (1.5 hours AFTER they called for anesthesiologist), I was pretty much fully dialated and ready to push one the meds kicked in. The problem? I couldn't feel anything to push. :/ So, I took a nap to let it wear off a bit, but still had problems pushing when I woke up.

As a result, I got a lovely episiotomy (/sarcasm) and a vacuum delivery. Cord was clamped in baby's neck, so the drs were trying to rush the baby out so I'm surprised I didn't end up with a c-section.

While the epidural was very helpful (I had a lot of panic, especially from them unnecessarily upping my pitocin dosage-- I was contracting just fine but they kept bumping the dosage anyway despite protests), I'm not going down that route again. Looking back and seeing that I really did make it to the final home stretch without the epidural, I'm much more confident this time.

That, and I'm not inducing this one unless it's an emergency. I'll go 2-3 weeks late if I must!

To the OP, I would say do your research. Determine what you want to do, and research and stick to it. There are pain coping techniques that you can use (even if you do decide on the epidural). Knowledge is power. Have your partner involved as well so your partner can help you through the process when your mind gets muddy.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oooh. I had an epidural with my first and it was great. It helped speed up birth and I felt like a rock star.

The second child and the epidural was terrible. It didn't work the first attempt to put it in and I had natural labour most of the day. Once I complained about the catheter being uncomfortable did someone believe me. Then the anesthesiologist came back in and rammed the needle in too deep and punctured my spinal cord. The minute they took the epidural out I had the most debilitating headache. Again, no one really took me seriously.

3 days later I was in so much pain in my head I couldn't stand. I was having hearing problems. It was so much pain I could barely nurse my son. The headache was worse than any migraine I ever had and was only relieved after I laid down for a few minutes. I called a help line and they told me to get to a hospital. I went to the ER and told me I had a dural puncture from the epidural and the headache was because my cerebral spinal fluid was leaking into my body and my brain wasn't floating anymore. It was resting on my skull. O.M.G.

I had to have a "blood patch" where they put a tube of my blood into my spine to try and heal the puncture hole. It was great. It worked. For like 12 hours. Then the hole opened back up while I was bending to pick up my son to nurse him. I could physically feel something in my spine and the headache hit me like a ton of bricks. 2 days later and not only was I having intense pain and auditory problems, but I was having visual disturbances tooo. Back to a different ER (the local hospital didn't want to touch me with a 10 foot pole. They said to go back to the hospital where they made the error). 8 hours later and I'm getting a rare second blood patch. They were afraid of permanent brain damage.

The worst of the headache was over, but not gone. The theory was that the hole was quite large and leaking a lot of fluid, and the 2 blood patches were helping to close the hole, but it was still slow leaking. They put me on supine bed rest for 1 week. I wasn't allowed to use a pillow. Lay flat on my back except to pee. I could still nurse, but my head had to be flat. You get the picture. I was useless and a drain on my family. I couldn't care for my daughter, couldn't even change my newborn's diaper. Before that week was over I was officially suffering from postpartum depression.

In the end, my headache finally cleared after 6 weeks. The postpartum medication lasted 6 months, and the Zoloft withdrawal was a treat. And my spine hurt like a b*tch for over a year, right at the spot where they poked me and poked ma and poked me each time. On a particularly active day, I can STILL feel the scar tissue where it bound my two bones together. Acupuncture has worked like a charm on that tho.

Now I'm pregnant with my third. Will I have an epidural again?

Oh HELL no. I don't care if my body goes into shock from labour. I'm going natural. Emergency C? Put me the hell under. I do NOT want someone to poke me in the spine again for the rest of my life.

Now, it sounds funny for me to say NOW, but you go right ahead and get one if you want. But when they give you the verbal warning that 2% of all epidurals cause a headache, please know that it's not just ANY headache. It's debilitating and might have lasting effects, mentally and physically. And from what I've read in various baby forums, the headaches are more than 2%, just most women have a smaller puncture and it resolves itself within a week without making complaints to their doctors. Also, some women get pooh-poohed, told that pushing causes a headache.

Anyway, there's my essay. Good luck with your new bundle of joy!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Oooh. I had an epidural with my first and it was great. It helped speed up birth and I felt like a rock star.

The second child and the epidural was terrible. It didn't work the first attempt to put it in and I had natural labour most of the day. Once I complained about the catheter being uncomfortable did someone believe me. Then the anesthesiologist came back in and rammed the needle in too deep and punctured my spinal cord. The minute they took the epidural out I had the most debilitating headache. Again, no one really took me seriously.

3 days later I was in so much pain in my head I couldn't stand. I was having hearing problems. It was so much pain I could barely nurse my son. The headache was worse than any migraine I ever had and was only relieved after I laid down for a few minutes. I called a help line and they told me to get to a hospital. I went to the ER and told me I had a dural puncture from the epidural and the headache was because my cerebral spinal fluid was leaking into my body and my brain wasn't floating anymore. It was resting on my skull. O.M.G.

I had to have a "blood patch" where they put a tube of my blood into my spine to try and heal the puncture hole. It was great. It worked. For like 12 hours. Then the hole opened back up while I was bending to pick up my son to nurse him. I could physically feel something in my spine and the headache hit me like a ton of bricks. 2 days later and not only was I having intense pain and auditory problems, but I was having visual disturbances tooo. Back to a different ER (the local hospital didn't want to touch me with a 10 foot pole. They said to go back to the hospital where they made the error). 8 hours later and I'm getting a rare second blood patch. They were afraid of permanent brain damage.

The worst of the headache was over, but not gone. The theory was that the hole was quite large and leaking a lot of fluid, and the 2 blood patches were helping to close the hole, but it was still slow leaking. They put me on supine bed rest for 1 week. I wasn't allowed to use a pillow. Lay flat on my back except to pee. I could still nurse, but my head had to be flat. You get the picture. I was useless and a drain on my family. I couldn't care for my daughter, couldn't even change my newborn's diaper. Before that week was over I was officially suffering from postpartum depression.

In the end, my headache finally cleared after 6 weeks. The postpartum medication lasted 6 months, and the Zoloft withdrawal was a treat. And my spine hurt like a b*tch for over a year, right at the spot where they poked me and poked ma and poked me each time. On a particularly active day, I can STILL feel the scar tissue where it bound my two bones together. Acupuncture has worked like a charm on that tho.

Oh HELL no. I don't care if my body goes into shock from labour. I'm going natural. Emergency C? Put me the hell under. I do NOT want someone to poke me in the spine again for the rest of my life.

Now, it sounds funny for me to say NOW, but you go right ahead and get one if you want. But when they give you the verbal warning that 2% of all epidurals cause a headache, please know that it's not just ANY headache. It's debilitating and might have lasting effects, mentally and physically. And from what I've read in various baby forums, the headaches are more than 2%, just most women have a smaller puncture and it resolves itself within a week without making complaints to their doctors. Also, some women get pooh-poohed, told that pushing causes a headache.

Ohmygosh this is crazy! I'm glad everything turned out okay, Shayztar!
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Holy crap, that is quite the horror story! Glad you made it through all that and no guesses needed as to why you're foregoing the epidural this time!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am not planning on an epidural or any pain medication for that matter. Nor am I really that open to it. My husband and I have an agreement that if I ask for an epidural, he'll encourage other things like getting in the bath, shower etc etc. I need to be under control and calm to make the decision. As I understand it, most women will get to a point when going through transition where they ask for pain relief.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am not planning on an epidural or any pain medication for that matter. Nor am I really that open to it. My husband and I have an agreement that if I ask for an epidural, he'll encourage other things like getting in the bath, shower etc etc. I need to be under control and calm to make the decision. As I understand it, most women will get to a point when going through transition where they ask for pain relief.

Transition is tough, but it is a lot of mind over matter. Laboring in the tub was amazing for me. Usually when I get into the tub, I dilate from about 6 to 10 in 30 minutes or so. The water just has a calming affect. Early labor is also great in the shower.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Transition is tough, but it is a lot of mind over matter. Laboring in the tub was amazing for me. Usually when I get into the tub, I dilate from about 6 to 10 in 30 minutes or so. The water just has a calming affect. Early labor is also great in the shower.

Thanks, that's the way I am looking at it. I understand why people want to be 'open to anything', but I can't see the point in intending not to have one BUT not really planning how to get past that point where you will almost inevitably ask...

I would like to labor and hopefully birth in the tub. Did you give birth in the water?
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options

HOLY EPIDURAL!!! for sure keeping my request to go all natural, no drugs. and yes, I kid you not I will scream like there is no tomorrow from the pain, I experienced back labor with my first son but I take that temporary pain to the horror I just read.

You are one strong mom!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I tend to be a thread-killah so I only checked back to confirm that. LOL

I have nothing against epidurals for other people. I just wanted to share my experience. I told hubby that if we ever got pregnant again I'm going to spring for a doula. Cause he's pretty useless, and I'll need someone to keep me strong. This baby was a pure accident (IUD is still in there), so he's going to be springing sooner a lot sooner than he anticipated! haha

:flowerforyou:
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Thanks, that's the way I am looking at it. I understand why people want to be 'open to anything', but I can't see the point in intending not to have one BUT not really planning how to get past that point where you will almost inevitably ask...

I would like to labor and hopefully birth in the tub. Did you give birth in the water?

For my first baby I labored in the tub, but birthed on all fours. My second and third were water births. I am planning a home water birth for my fourth this April.
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No epidural as I was in the hospital for preterm labor at 32 weeks, and you should SEE the size of the needle they stuck me with that time. That scared the pants off me and I was able to labor without epidural 5 weeks later.

I agree, the pain of labor isn't a "something is wrong, or scary or broken" kind of pain. It's more like "my muscle is working so hard that it's actually painful" I mean, ever lift heavy weights and hold them in position until your arm shakes and you experience muscular failure? That's the kind of pain it is. And the fabulous thing is generally between most of the contractions, except for the very very end, the pain disappears. Even workout pain doesn't do that.

Good luck with your decision!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    No epidural as I was in the hospital for preterm labor at 32 weeks, and you should SEE the size of the needle they stuck me with that time. That scared the pants off me and I was able to labor without epidural 5 weeks later.

I agree, the pain of labor isn't a "something is wrong, or scary or broken" kind of pain. It's more like "my muscle is working so hard that it's actually painful" I mean, ever lift heavy weights and hold them in position until your arm shakes and you experience muscular failure? That's the kind of pain it is. And the fabulous thing is generally between most of the contractions, except for the very very end, the pain disappears. Even workout pain doesn't do that.

Good luck with your decision!

Thats a great way to put it (pain reference). I think a lot of women (myself included with baby #1) get into the mindset of the wrong, scary or broken pain and freak out. I freaked out, and therefore wanted anything that would help calm that fear. This time around, I'm going to be working on acknowledging the pain for what it is.