Team Jillian Week 4 Challenge

Options
Hey Team!! Can you believe we are 1/4 of the way through the challenge already! I have really enjoyed getting to know each of you through the past 4 weeks. I am so proud of all of us! We need to work together to help motivate and support each other through this process, it is not easy changing your lifestyle choices! I am excited about this week!!

Its SUPERBOWL this Sunday!! I would like everyone to share your favourite dishes for SuperBowl (or any party)! What are some healthy options to bring/or have at parties? What are your tips when attending parties to stay healthy? Share them here!

Are you ready to be ARMED AND DANGEROUS?!

This idea came from: http://skinnyms.com/armed-and-dangerous-workout/
Sculpt strong shoulders, biceps and triceps with this workout. No more hiding your arms in sweaters, go sleeveless this season & get ready for Spring! Show off those guns! Follow up this arm workout with 30 minutes of your choice of cardio and enjoy the results. What you'll need: 5-12lb dumbbells (or use 2L pop bottles and add water to the bottle until you get the weight you want :happy: )
Each exercise complete 12-15 reps, 2 sets, every other day. Complete the entire workout and repeat for a total of 2 sets. Rest 15-30 seconds after each exercise.
**Bicep Curls, Flyes, Side Raises, Front Raises, Shoulder Press, Skull Crushers**

Please YouTube any of these that you don't know the technique for :happy: I don't want anyone hurt, please only do what you feel comfortable doing! Record your progress here. Every day record your cals burned, I will tally them up and let everyone know next Tuesday who our top burner is!

WAHOOO!! Lets do this Team Jillian!!!!! :happy:

Replies

• LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    I am going to a superbowl party on Sunday I already let my friend know I will be brining homemade hummus and veggies, then I know I can at least have that!! Everyone else will be indulging in wine and beer and deep fried things! I will post my recipe later today for the hummus :)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I am going to a superbowl party on Sunday I already let my friend know I will be brining homemade hummus and veggies, then I know I can at least have that!! Everyone else will be indulging in wine and beer and deep fried things! I will post my recipe later today for the hummus :)

Mmmmm...I love Hummus! Can not wait for the recipe :)
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Baked Buffalo Wings

Ingredients

3 pounds drumettes and wings
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon butter
    6 sprigs fresh thyme
    10 garlic cloves, crushed
    3/4 cup hot sauce

For blue cheese dip:
    1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
    Scallions to garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F, and lightly grease an oven-proof pan.
    In a large bowl, generously season drumettes and wings with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    In a sauté pan over low heat, melt butter. Add thyme and garlic and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Once thyme and garlic become aromatic, add hot sauce and stir.
    Pour entire mixture over chicken and toss to coat. Allow wings to marinate in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, combine blue cheese and low-fat Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Mix well, and refrigerate.
    Transfer chicken to oven-proof baking dish and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes; with tongs or a fork, flip and baste wings.
    Bake for 25 minutes more, occasionally basting wings while they're in the oven.
    Remove pan from oven, and allow wings to slightly cool in pan. Baste with juices, and serve with blue cheese dip!

Serves 12
    188 calories per serving
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    Baked Buffalo Wings

Ingredients

3 pounds drumettes and wings
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon butter
    6 sprigs fresh thyme
    10 garlic cloves, crushed
    3/4 cup hot sauce

For blue cheese dip:
    1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
    Scallions to garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F, and lightly grease an oven-proof pan.
    In a large bowl, generously season drumettes and wings with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    In a sauté pan over low heat, melt butter. Add thyme and garlic and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Once thyme and garlic become aromatic, add hot sauce and stir.
    Pour entire mixture over chicken and toss to coat. Allow wings to marinate in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, combine blue cheese and low-fat Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Mix well, and refrigerate.
    Transfer chicken to oven-proof baking dish and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes; with tongs or a fork, flip and baste wings.
    Bake for 25 minutes more, occasionally basting wings while they're in the oven.
    Remove pan from oven, and allow wings to slightly cool in pan. Baste with juices, and serve with blue cheese dip!

Serves 12
    188 calories per serving

YUMMM!!! I wonder what you could substitute the blue cheese for... I am not a blue cheese gal, maybe just some seasonings?!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options

YUMMM!!! I wonder what you could substitute the blue cheese for... I am not a blue cheese gal, maybe just some seasonings?!

Do you like ranch? You could mix a packet of ranch seasoning with low fat sour cream. It's not your typically runny dip but it would be tasty!
  • Hyder1
    Hyder1 Posts: 30
    Options
    I enjoy humus and pita chips.

Calories burned- 780
  • april_nicole1981
    Options
    DAY 1 = 1440 CALORIES BURNED :)

I will post a party food as soon as a get a free minute :smile:
  • CurvyGirl6577
    CurvyGirl6577 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Calories Burned:

Tuesday 1/29 = 1025
    Wednesday 1/30 = 964
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options

Mmmmm...I love Hummus! Can not wait for the recipe :)

Ingredients:
    1 can Chickpeas
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp cumin

I also add about 1 tbsp of Garlic and Chili Powder to taste :)

I blend all the ingredients together in my magic bullet. Sometimes it is thick so I add water until I get the consistency I want! Super easy, so healthy and way better than eating the extra ingredients that are in the store bought hummus! :happy: You can keep the hummus for about 3 days refrigerated in an air tight container.
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    Calories Burned:

1/29 - 137
    1/30 - 130

I have been doing 30 min walks @ 2.5m/p @ a 10 incline. I don't think my cals burned are a 100% accurate :happy:
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    'Peño Power! from hungry girl - http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/2527 (I highly recommend this website for great tips and ideas! I bought her cookbook its amazing! )

Creamy dips and Super Bowl Sunday go together like fireworks and the Fourth of July -- bonus points if the dip is guilt-free. So having this delicious dip at your party is like getting a touchdown and then nailing the two-point conversion. SCORE!!!

Ingredients:
    One 8-oz. tub fat-free cream cheese
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    3 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1 tsp. chopped garlic
    Two 14-oz. cans whole artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and chopped
    1/3 cup jarred jalapeño slices, drained and finely chopped

Directions:
    Place cream cheese in a large microwave-safe bowl, and stir until smooth. Add sour cream, mayo, mozzarella cheese, Parm-style topping, and chopped garlic. Mix thoroughly.

Stir in chopped artichoke hearts and chopped jalapeño slices. Microwave for 2 minutes.

Stir well. Microwave for another 2 minutes, or until hot. Yum!

MAKES 12 SERVINGS
    Serving Size: 1/12th of recipe (about 1/3 cup)
    Calories: 72
    Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 576mg
    Carbs: 9g
    Fiber: 1.5g
    Sugars: 2.5g
    Protein: 5g

PointsPlus® value 2*
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options

Do you like ranch? You could mix a packet of ranch seasoning with low fat sour cream. It's not your typically runny dip but it would be tasty!

MM Yes, I love Ranch!! Thats a great idea :smile: Thanks!
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    DAY 1 = 1440 CALORIES BURNED :)

I will post a party food as soon as a get a free minute :smile:

Way to go!!! That is an amazingggg burn!! :happy:
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    Good Morning, Calories Burned:

Tuesday 1/29 = 1025
    Wednesday 1/30 = 964

You are such a consistent burner!! What are your tricks!?
  • mgeaux
    mgeaux Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Calories burned so far this week

m-253
    t-768
    w-192
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    Calories burned this week:

Monday
    Biking to work - 141 calories
    Zumba - 685 calories
    Walking my dog - 115 calories

Tuesday
    Biking to work - 141 calories
    Zumba - 685 calories
    Walking my dog - 115 calories

Wednesday
    Walking to work/walking my dog/walking to run errands - 518 calories
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hey Team Jillian!

I have been down in the dumps lately and I apologize for not being more involved.

I just did the upper body strength training sets... Feels good to be doing at least something!

Cheers,
    Alison
  • Hyder1
    Options
    Calories burned 818
  • Hyder1
    Options
    @ LeighAnnaMS about april_nicole 1981

Her tricks are that she is amazing and dedicated! She helps keep me motivated when we work out together. You should see her go!
  • mmcqueen927
    mmcqueen927 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    1/29 325 cal burned
    1/30 zero (not feeling well)
    1/31 590 cal burned
    walking, Ultimate Boot Camp, Zumba (Wii)