Post-Op RNY Stressing Over Future Pregnancy

Options
I have always wanted a big family, I love children, I can't imagine a better, more important job than being a mommy... but now, after having my Gastric Bypass surgery in December, I am starting to kick myself, what was I thinking!? I have a 6 month old baby boy now, but I want more children in the future, and all I can think about is I should have waited, I am so scared of gaining back all kinds of weight and not being able to get it all off. I have lost 100 pounds since my pregnancy with my first son (I gain 50-60 pounds during my pregnancies even if I am dieting) and I still have another 100 to go. I know that losing the weight will be healthier for both me and the baby when I do decide to have another, but I am just paralyzed by the thought of putting on so much weight.

Has anyone out there had a pregnancy post-op?

It's literally breaking my heart, giving me nightmares thinking I can't have anymore children without making everything I have gone through a waste.

Replies

• Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • rachellouise_2003
    Options
    I can't say from personal experience, but I do know from a professional experience that....

1) once you become smaller it will be easier for you to become pregnant

2) it is normal to gain 20-30 lbs per pregnancy.

Gastric bypass is suppose to be used as a tool, as long as you use it this way there should be no reason why you could not get the weight off after delivery. So, you should still be able to have a happy, healthy pregnancy post op.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant at a healthier weight is so much better for you and the baby. I am looking to become pregnant also. I will just monitor what I eat and make sure i eat the right things and enough to feed both the baby and myself.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have known several women who have gotten pregnant after RNY. The ones who were thin before geting pregnant had an easier time of losing their pregnancy weight than the friends who got pregnant while they were still above their goal weights. I would wait until you are at goal and have maintained your weight for a period of time before getting pregnant again. I's about the healthy habits you learn while losing that will help determine if you can lose it again after pregnancy.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I agree with waiting (as difficult as it is) and I know that the healthier I am the better my pregnancy will be... I was 360 pounds when I was pregnant with my son and I was just so miserable. My surgeon and nutrition team have not given me a goal weight, but my personal goal is 150-160 so I can gain those 20-30 pounds during pregnancy without going into the 200s... which means I still have 70-80 pounds to lose.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    had 2 pregnancies and 3 babies post op, so its entirely do able!!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I struggled emotionally when I got pregnant with my son, I had lost over 200 pounds and putting the pounds back on was making me crazy. My Dr assured me that I was supposed to gain weight and it would be very unhealthy for my unborn child to NOT gain weight while pregnant. My son is 1 now and I am 5 pounds below my pre pregnancy weight. It's all doable and nothing to stress about. I gained 1 pound per week (total35 pounds) and lost it relatively quickly.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm terrified as well. You don't need to eat for two when you're pregnant and most exercises are safe up to delivery, so those two things will be a big motivation for me.