Whaddya give a MAN for Valentines Day (long distance)?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
OK, first of all, we're geographically separated now so I'm looking for something a little mroe applicable than the "S&BJ" jokes.

V-Day mass marketing gives men a lot of pointers on what to give women, but what do you give MEN?

My ex never did things like V-Day, B-Days, or anniversaries (even Christmas gifts stopped after awhile) so this is something I've never had to think about before. I was thinking of sending BB a card and some of his favorite candy - nothing overboard.

Guys, what would YOU want for V-day?

Anyone wanna share funny stories of gifts gone bad?

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    The last time I gave a guy a V-gift it was a book!! He used to love reading biographies, so it was personal and appropriate. I wrapped the book in MY favourite underwear!! lol :bigsmile:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    What if you ordered him some kind of awesome dinner from a restaurant, had it delivered and had a Skype date? You could set your table with roses and candles and eat your meal "together" while you're apart?
  • JanieJack
    Options
    What if you ordered him some kind of awesome dinner from a restaurant, had it delivered and had a Skype date? You could set your table with roses and candles and eat your meal "together" while you're apart?

OO that would be nice!! But for some reason my mother decided she and my stepdad are coming to fl for V-Day so I'll have parents in my hotel room. Sooooo not romantic!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would send him something that he is interested in! For instance my guy loves books, cooking and wine, so I will put a little basket together containing those things.

This is the 1st time in years that I have a bf for V-day and the guy is taking me to a Bed & Breakfast for the weekend. I am soooo excited!!

Edit: Spelling
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I love the dinner idea!

I am hoping this v-day turns out nice. With my last two ex-es I always anxiously waited to see what they would do and nothing. It has always been depressing. I chipped in on a wine cooler last weekend so my boyfriend can use as a humidor for his stash of cigars and said: "happy valentines day!" It was a bit more than I expected to pay for v-day ($75). I am thinking of getting him some of his favorite chocolates and a card, and maybe a cigar or two for the actual day. That weekend he is traveling with me to surprise a friend, so I'm pretty excited :)
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've always received a kiss or special treatment during V-day. I don't think V-Day is as big a deal for guys as it is for ladies. I think a little card with an "I-O-U" special massage coupon inside would suffice. It doesn't need to be sexual, it can be an I-O-U anything coupon.
  • afv417
    Options
    I've always received a kiss or special treatment during V-day. I don't think V-Day is as big a deal for guys as it is for ladies. I think a little card with an "I-O-U" special massage coupon inside would suffice. It doesn't need to be sexual, it can be an I-O-U anything coupon.

What would you do for your lady? I don't particularly want anything from him. I'd like it to be romantic. I.E. I LOVE the ocean so maybe going for a late night stroll on the beach? A walk on the pier?

I don't even need the fancy dinner. Is this something I need to be direct with him about since you say guys don't think of it as such a big deal?
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a guy, we are pretty easy. Get him anything that lets him know you are thinking of him and took the time and made the effort to let him know. I dont know your guy, but for me, if there is something I need or want I just buy it, and as for cheesy V day specific things like flowers or candy...no go. Any little thing that lets him know he is on your mind!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    To not have to clean my apartment.
  • afv417
    Options
    Speaking as a guy, we are pretty easy. Get him anything that lets him know you are thinking of him and took the time and made the effort to let him know. I dont know your guy, but for me, if there is something I need or want I just buy it, and as for cheesy V day specific things like flowers or candy...no go. Any little thing that lets him know he is on your mind!

But what about me? I'm such a romantic. If we were dating, would I have to be direct with you as to what I'd like to do that night? Or wait for your to surprise me? I've already mentioned that I'm looking forward to v-day.

EDIT- I don't want "something", I want romance.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I will tell you the best gift you can give a guy on Valentines day: tell him you don't want to do gifts and would rather just get dinner when you get back to town.

I think most guys don't care for hallmark holidays.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I will tell you the best gift you can give a guy on Valentines day: tell him you don't want to do gifts and would rather just get dinner when you get back to town.

^^ This was what I was thinking. Or tickets.... to a game, concert or an event you both enjoy?
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I always heard "Valentines Day is for amateurs" meaning only new relationships celebrate the Holiday.

That is what I have heard since divorce, as when I was married, ex was one of the few men that liked and celebrated that Holiday.
  • JanieJack
    Options

hehe...after over a decade of getting nothing I sooooooo want the flowers and balloons at work! Ix nay on the dinner though (too crowded and too expensive). And gifts (like jewelry) can come anytime- doesn’t have to be V-day.

I told BB he's lucky I'm in a location where he can't send me that kind of stuff bc for some reason just the thought of flowers where everyone can see someone loves me gets me going.
  • will010574
    Options

But what about me? I'm such a romantic. If we were dating, would I have to be direct with you as to what I'd like to do that night? Or wait for your to surprise me? I've already mentioned that I'm looking forward to v-day.

See Poncho's post below....V Day is a made up day....and guys tend to balk at the "you must be romantic on this day because Hallmark says so vibe"
    If you want romance, demand it everyday, in some small fashion. If you want romance on V day because it is V Day, then tell him exactly that or prepare to be disappointed....That is if we were dating...I cant speak for your bf
  • afv417
    Options

See Poncho's post below....V Day is a made up day....and guys tend to balk at the "you must be romantic on this day because Hallmark says so vibe"
    If you want romance, demand it everyday, in some small fashion. If you want romance on V day because it is V Day, then tell him exactly that or prepare to be disappointed....That is if we were dating...I cant speak for your bf

Thank you!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something a little mroe applicable than the "S&BJ" jokes.

It's like you know me! :noway: :laugh:

I do like the idea of putting it as a "Let's do this on X day when I get back". Do you know if he's planning on going out with buddies? Maybe you can arrange to have one of them pick up some of his favorite beer so they can all share and drink it together while you write him a sweet note saying why you love and cherish him?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure all days are "made up" days.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

What would you do for your lady? I don't particularly want anything from him. I'd like it to be romantic. I.E. I LOVE the ocean so maybe going for a late night stroll on the beach? A walk on the pier?

I don't even need the fancy dinner. Is this something I need to be direct with him about since you say guys don't think of it as such a big deal?

Something out of the ordinary...if you're married, and you hardly ever cook or clean, then get up off your *kitten* and cook and clean and light a candle or two. I you're single, what is that you know she loves and you've not done it in a while?

I love buying flowers for my lady and showing up at her work with flowers and Starbucks. So naturally, I'm not going to show up with Starbucks and flowers on V-day because that's something I already do. I prefer something simple and thoughful. A card, a walk at the park. I'm not one to go all out and go to an expensive resteraunt, I'd rather cook the meal myself and she can by my dessert.
  • will010574
    Options
    for some reason just the thought of flowers where everyone can see someone loves me gets me going.

This is really it, isnt it ladies??? Flowers at work so all the other ladies can see you are loved etc...Ill send flowers to work, on random occassions but on V Day I say NO FLOWERS for you!! Possibly pettty and immature but I honest to god see no point in V Day, other then to stimulate the economy.