confusion over what cals I should be eating

Options
quackmunch
quackmunch Posts: 20 Member
Hi guys,

I'm new to this group and MFP in general and after doing some reading around I've completely managed to confuse myself! I had set my profile up to reflect my weight, goal, etc and that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week so MFP put me at 1200 calories a day.

I've read around and a lot of people mention BMR and TDEE and how I shouldn't be eating as little as 1200 calories a day. I then changed my goals to lose 1lb a week and my daily calories are now 1450 according to MFP. I'm just wondering if this is accurate, or if I should be setting this myself according to my BMR details.

I was on 1200 calories a day for a few weeks (say4-5) and only changed to 1450 today. I work out in the gym 3 times a week for an hour a go (one of those with a PT) and walk to work every day. I've been trying to up my exercise even if it's just a DVD in the house and eat back my workout calories, or most of them.

I'm 168 cm in height and my current weight is 70.9kgs. I set my profile to be lightly active. I have to say I have been losing weight on 1200 calories a day but I'm just worried/confused and also concnerned about what will happen when I reach my goal and go to maintenance - will I put on weight then eating the MPF recommended 1900 a day?

My BMR is apparently 1,443 and my TDEE is apparently 2052. I guess I'm just confused as to whether I should stick to what MFP tells me or change it?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to measure and weigh everything?

Please read this thread before answering the above:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

How active are you outside of work?
    In the 4-5 week period where you ate at 1200, what was your total losses?
  • quackmunch
    Options
    Hi,

I use a food scale for things that don't have a calorie content on the packet, you know if I ate a mars bar the calories are on it so I don't measure that but brown rice for example I do. If that makes sense :)

I have a diet plan from my PT for main meals and follow it so don't add sauces etc to food unless he says so but I always track ketchup or butter if I add it. I feel dishonest otherwise!

Outside of work, I walk to work which is 30mins brisk walk 5 times a day. I work out at the gym 3 times a week, once a PT session, once a circuit program I have and once a 40-45min run. This last week or so I've also tried to do 1 hr of yoga a week and 2 x 30min exercise DVD the Ripped in 30 from Jillian Michaels.

Total losses for January, the length of time I've been on 1200 was 8lbs.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Sara or I will get back to you sometime this afternoon. You definitely can afford to increase intake but we'll discuss it and come back with either more questions or a recommendation.
  • quackmunch
    Options
    SideSteel thanks, I appreciate your help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ooop - just realized I missed this one.

Quick question: is the TDEE you mention with or without exercise?
  • quackmunch
    Options
    The TDEE I worked out is from http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx and I worked it out with moderate exercise (working out 3-5 times a week).