Hi All! I'm new to MFP, not Medifast....

Options
shell1005
shell1005 Posts: 5,945 Member
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie around MFP, but not Medifast. I used MF in 07/08 and lost a little over 80 lbs. In the last year, I gained back about 25 lbs...which of course....made me an unhappy camper. Grr. I decided that with the amount to lose....I'm not going back to MF per se, but something very similar. I am reducing my carbs...and increasing my protein. I happily went into ketosis last week and things have been going smooth since then.

I just wanted to find a group of liked minded people...who know the program works.

So....hi!

P.S. If anyone would like to be MFP friends....I'd love that. I will say that my diary is private...which I know bothers some people. I just don't want to spend my time defending what I am eating since most of MFP thinks eating between 800-1000 calories a day is SO unhealthy. It saves the arguments....

Replies

• tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey. Feel free to add me as a friend because I am on MF too and love the program. I hear you about having your diary private. I have gone back and forth with mine as well but I figure that if you don't like the way I eat and lose weight, then unfriend me! I know that a few people have unfriended me because of that but I don't want anyone as a friend if they aren't going to be supportive. I have lost 25 pounds and 30 inches with MF and it has changed my life. This is my first time on MFP too and I really like it. I also use the bodymedia fit that syncs with MFP and it is awesome. Welcome to MFP and good luck to you!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey for the person that wears the bodymedia fit & doing medifast - how many calories a day does the bmf tell you burn? how much of a deficit is medifast from that?
  • tgibbons1935
    Options
    I have the bodymedia fit and am doing MF but my daily calories varies depending on whether I work out or not. I think I need to do some adjustments because my target for calories burned is 1700 but I burn a lot more than that even without working out. I need to play with it some more. Or I may need to lower my calorie intake. I don't do heavy aerobic workouts because I am not taking in enough calories to do it, but I stay in a fat burning zone so it is working.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am also using the Bodymedia Fit armband, and it does vary from day to day. I don't do heavy workouts either, but my calorie burn "target" is 2000, and I am hitting at least 2300 every day. My highest day was just over 2800. I have a "steps" goal and a moderate activity goal of 30 minutes. I get my moderate activity in easily just by walking a little more briskly than I used to. My calorie deficit varies greatly, but as an example, yesterday, the deficit was 1468, and Sunday (day of rest - I don't push at all) it was 1223. Saturday, which was busy from sunup to sundown was 1861. Incredibly, I wasn't hungry or lacking in energy on Saturday at all.

I try to stay in the recommended 800-1000 calorie zone with what I eat, with Carbs under 100g, Fat under 30g and Protein over 75g.
  • tgibbons1935
    Options
    yeah, my base is 1700 calories burned but I am averaging about 2200 a day and I had a high of 2800 this last Sunday but we worked a water stop at a half marathon and then spent most of the day shopping for furniture so I was active pretty much all day. I really have a bad habit of not logging my food on the weekends and I ate some things I shouldn't have this past weekend but it appears that I have worked it off though! I am also trying to get in 4 workouts in a week so that is helping. I still have about 15 pounds to lose and I am kind of stuck right now so I am not sure what I need to do but I am not giving up!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I find the information I'm getting from the Body Media Fit to be very motivating and useful. I feel like I have the trifecta of weight loss tools working in my favor now. My Fitness Pal, Medifast and Bodymedia. MFP is so easy to use and I have my friends and forum etc., that are familiar. MF with my health coach and the ease of simple meals and guidelines that make the nutrition aspect very nearly idiot proof, and Bodymedia, which gives me the big picture - what my metabolism is doing, my activity level, my sleep habits, etc. I'm loving it!
  • tgibbons1935
    Options
    I feel the same way as you about the trifecta of weight loss tools and it is so very motivating. I am friends with someone else who is on MF and uses Body Media too and she said that she prints out a report of what her totals were for when she goes into the center and I thought that was a great idea. It is so easy just to pull up a report but I had never thought of it. I may do it today before I go in for my weigh in. I don't know if you have heard about the Earndit website but it is pretty cool too. You can do challenges and earn points towards gift cards, etc. the website is http://earnd.it/Yi7igu I sent you a referral so we both can earn points if you want to do it. Everytime you download your Bodymedia, it adds points to this website. Just another way to get some motivation! We are all here to support each other!
  • tgibbons1935
    Options
    I think they are kind of the same thing but I don't know that much about the Fit Bit. I think they both track your calories burned, steps, etc. and they both sync with MF. However, the Body Media Fit is on an arm band that you can wear 23 hours a day and it will monitor your sleep patterns as well. The Body media fit also involves a subscription fee and instead of only having the option of paying for it monthly, you can now pay $59 for one year or $89 for two years. You just attach it to your computer and it will download your information and then you can do reports, etc. I think they are about the same base price, but one has the subscription fee. You still log your food through MFP and then when you sync your Body Media, it will automatically download your calories burned, etc. I would check out both before you decide. There are a few of us on here that use the Body Media so maybe they can add something that I haven't covered.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Options
    The BodyMedia armband is in direct contact with the skin and, according to the BodyMedia information, gathers over 5000 bits of data to essentially track your metabolism. It measures body temp, salinity of the skin and movement etc. My experience is that it's been incredibly accurate, with the one exception that it doesn't recognize steps when walking on a treadmill, although it does register the activity and increase in energy expenditure during that time. I assume that the accelerometers in the device require some directional movement in addition to the stride to recognize walking. I'm told that the fitbit has a similar issue.

The Fitbit clips onto your clothing or bra, so it has the advantage of being "out of sight". My friend who owns one tells me it's essentially a glorified pedometer that very accurately captures movement and translates it to energy expended.

So the technology of the BodyMedia seems to be a bit more advanced, but it will show if you have on very short, see through, or tight sleeves. There are a small percentage of owners who have a reaction to the metal on their skin - about 1%.

The Fitbit owners I know seem very happy with their devices too, particularly the ability to keep it hidden from view.

I'm a data / technology geek, so the BodyMedia is a great fit for me. I think either one will help you monitor your activity level.
  • tgibbons1935
    Options
    I think you will be happy with either one. I was shocked when last weekend I burned 2,800 calories in a day and had about 11,000 steps. Once you start using it, you will feel lost if you leave the house and forget it. I have actually gotten used to sleeping with mine too and I think one of the FitBits also monitors your sleep patterns too. Good luck and let us know how it is working for you.