Game of Thrones

Options
Hello. Has anyone read Game of Thrones? I am waiting to borrow it from the library ebooks program. What did you all think of it?

Replies

• Rach03k
    Rach03k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I loved the first book. Could not put it down, finished it ridiculously quickly. I think I liked books 2 and 3 too, at least enough to keep me reading the series. Book 4 I started to slow down, and the most recent installment, book 5 - well in my opinion it was just terrible. I think the author has lost control of the plot and there is so much going on at this point I'm not convinced he's going to ever actually finish.

Anyway, if I had known then what I know now I wouldn't have read it, after all that reading effort the fifth book was such a let down!

Like I said though, the first book was really good! Can't hurt if you're getting it from the library I guess :)
  • loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've just started reading the first book this morning. It's so long and the writing is so small that it's been sat on my shelf for ages but I figure I might as well give it a go. Hopefully it will be as good as the hype!
  • siriusgirl
    siriusgirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found that I had to take them slow. The places and names are so foreign that I was easily mixed up. I did the same thing with the LotR series. Book one was good and set the story up nicely. Book 2 I felt furthered things along but what it really did was set up book three. And book three? Wow! If you start reading the series you at least have to read through book three! That is what the 2013 HBO GoT is going to be on. I heard that they were talking about breaking it up into two seasons so they could do the book justice. I hope they do because so much happens. I am currently on book four. I read that book four and book five actually take place during the same time (or at least partially). That there were so many story lines to try and keep straight he actually split them up and told some in book four and the rest in book five. I agree with Rach03k and am afraid that he won't finish the series because he is such a busy man and it already takes him forever to write the books. His website is pretty good if you ever want to check it out.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    The first 3 are my favourite. I had read alot of bad reviews about the 4+5 and it was with alot of trepidation that i finally read them.And they weren't bad! I think its just that the first 3 were so amazing that by comparison the 4 and 5 are not that good, but as a stand alone book not being compared to the earlier books it is decent. I did miss some of my favourite characters though as the narratives were more from characters i didnt care for but overall i just enjoyed being back in the amazing world George created.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I keep stalling on starting the 4th book. I get really tired of Martin just rambling on and on and on...I love the story lines but there is so much unnecessary filler. I think Martin is too big for his britches and just likes to hear himself write.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I keep stalling on starting the 4th book. I get really tired of Martin just rambling on and on and on...I love the story lines but there is so much unnecessary filler. I think Martin is too big for his britches and just likes to hear himself write.

I 100% agree with this! I slugged through book 4 and can't get through book 5... I want to because I do enjoy the story line and want to know what happens but there's so much rambling...
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think the series as a whole is amazing. The fist book is great, I think the third is the best, then five, then one, two, four. I love authors that aren't afraid to kill off main characters, and it's brilliant how he switches perspectives so that the idea of "villain" is completely blurred. It's hard to hate some of the characters when you're seeing their actions through their eyes. I love that aspect of it.
  • siriusgirl
    siriusgirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    and it's brilliant how he switches perspectives so that the idea of "villain" is completely blurred. It's hard to hate some of the characters when you're seeing their actions through their eyes. I love that aspect of it.

I have never thought of it that way but you have a very good point!
  • MrsBarkhouse
    Options
    I look at GOT this way.

Books 1 to 3 are amazing ways to get to know all the main characters.

Books 4 & 5 is just set-up for the ending. Moving this character here, and making that character go there. Let's solve ABC so XYZ can happen.

My favourite characters are Tyrion and Ayra ...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i wondered about this.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the story. I've read all 5 and the first 3 went really quick, the 4th was harder to hang with and the 5th was crazy! There is A LOT going on. It's a very, very in depth story. It is kind of hard to keep up with all the different characters and places. My husband is reading them on audio, and the guy, yes one guy, that reads the books made it into the Guiness Book of Word Records for reading 200 different parts in one storyline. The 6th book is supposed to be out this year. Personally I think they are wonderful. I can't wait to read book 6!!!
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found that I had to take them slow. The places and names are so foreign that I was easily mixed up. I did the same thing with the LotR series. Book one was good and set the story up nicely. Book 2 I felt furthered things along but what it really did was set up book three. And book three? Wow! If you start reading the series you at least have to read through book three! That is what the 2013 HBO GoT is going to be on. I heard that they were talking about breaking it up into two seasons so they could do the book justice. I hope they do because so much happens. I am currently on book four. I read that book four and book five actually take place during the same time (or at least partially). That there were so many story lines to try and keep straight he actually split them up and told some in book four and the rest in book five. I agree with Rach03k and am afraid that he won't finish the series because he is such a busy man and it already takes him forever to write the books. His website is pretty good if you ever want to check it out.
    Book 6 is scheduled to be published this year...it is supposed to be the final book. Martin said sometime last year that there would NOT be 7 books. He's, hopefully, going to finish it up with book 6. I'm just scared that he will keel over dead like Robert Jordan did before he could finish The Wheel of Time!!!
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with this! I slugged through book 4 and can't get through book 5... I want to because I do enjoy the story line and want to know what happens but there's so much rambling...

I also found this to be true. I'm glad that he got a tv deal & they are making this series come to life (I haven't watched it yet) but I think that he is way too dismissive and rude to his fans that have been waiting years and years for books only to end up with the rubbish of books 4 & 5. One of my least favorite authors but a decent story if you can swallow all the bs from the author.
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Book 6 is scheduled to be published this year...it is supposed to be the final book. Martin said sometime last year that there would NOT be 7 books. He's, hopefully, going to finish it up with book 6. I'm just scared that he will keel over dead like Robert Jordan did before he could finish The Wheel of Time!!!

I cried my heart out when RJ died! Started reading his books 15 years ago. I met my husband on a WOT fansite. Oh, Robert Jordan made my life a better place in so many ways. <3
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's a really good series. The first three books will hook you and I found that I actually needed a break after the first three books. IT's a very dense series. The fourth book is a bit of a dissapointment after the dynamic third book, but the fifth book was better.

I would definitely recommend it; the world that Martin creates is very full and detailed.

Happy reading!
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    GoT is my addiction. I've read all five books twice, and watched every episode of the first two seasons at least six times. :blushing: I hope G.R.R.M. releases the next book this year, but he's notorious for running late.

Although I liked some of the books better than others in this series, I loved them all. Like a previous poster said, I like an author who's not afraid to kill off a character. One of my favourite avatar tag lines is: Every time you ask when the next book is coming out, G.R.R.M. kills another Stark.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved first 3 books, i devoured em within 2 days. The 4 took me over a week on its own and weeeell, 5th book, after such long wait just seemed like dissapointment for me They are still very well written, they are. Take that for someone who translates books, mostly fantasy/sci-fi as ocupation and some of the artocities I read ...man. So yeah. Song of Ice and Fire are still one of my favourite series, despite the anger inducing dissapointment content of book 5 was for me ;(

I just hope Martin wont do a Robert Jordan on me, cos Wheel of Time books ...waiting for that to come to end/conclusion ..that took better part of my concious life -.-. Don't die Martin, don't die bro.
  • TheHistoryLady
    TheHistoryLady Posts: 1,875 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading book 4 and really enjoying it. I love the whole series so far.