Any young peri-menopausers out there?

Options
Hi, I'm new to this group. I am about to turn 43, but am in full peri-menopause mode. I am really surprised it is happening this young. I'd love to hear from other young menopausal women. I am surprised that it bothers me so much -- I have 2 children, and didn't plan on having more, but just the term "menopause" makes me feel so old. That is my big motivation for losing weight -- I am told it only gets harder. I would be interested in some good news/inspiration/empathy!

Replies

• juiceplusbecky
    juiceplusbecky Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I turned 44 last Sept. I had my blood and such done last year and the dr. informed me of the same thing (though I could have told you that myself :-). I figure the best thing I can do for myself is lose weight so that is what I am trying to do. Friend me if you would like, I understand what you are feeling.
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi, 38 here. Happened to my Mom young, as well.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm 48. Have always had regular periods, every 28 days. This past year they have started to become irregular. And now my period is over 3 weeks late. I'm thinking I must be starting menopause. But no other symptoms.
  • appease
    appease Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will be 42 in March. I have been having some hormonal shifts for the last year. I have a 4 year old son so it is strange to think I am heading in that direction. My Mom went through menapause young so it is not completely surprising. Since balancing my hormones I feel more sane right now thank goodness. Nice to know I am not alone.
  • Cathy0420
    Options
    I'm 49 but my brain tells me I'm 29. Always had, regular, light periods. couple months ago started heavy bleeding, hot flashes and weight gain around my middle. need reading glasses and have ridges on my finger nails, doc answer to everything is the same...your peri-menopausal!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i am 41 and having probs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and first started noticing things (like hotflashes and night sweats and dizziness) when I was about 43.

I still have periods. Sometimes.:tongue:
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at age 39, and at age 40-41, I found out I was peri-menopausal. I was trying to have another baby and the ovulation predictor tests were not giving me a positive. After a visit to a fertility doctor, I discovered I was out of eggs! So, I was done and menopause was here. I was getting occasional hot flashes, but they stopped once my doctor put me back on birth control pills to replace the hormones I was losing. So now I don't have any symptoms (except the absence of a monthly cycle...yay!).

None of the other women in my family hit menopause this early; I was just 'lucky" I guess. ;-) Lesson learned: don't wait too long to have children! LOL
  • josieconnellan
    josieconnellan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to posting too, but I'm 44 and started getting hot flashes a good 3 years ago. It drives me insane. I also think I have slight depression from it and it affects my diet and exercise, often turning to food as comfort, so my weight goes up, then down, then up, then down. Classic example of yoyo dieter and I'm over it, Just want to shift the kgs and keep them off for good. Am interested in knowing what others have done to control the hot flashes and menopausal symptoms in general. Is anyone taking anything ? I went to see a naturopath for a while and that helped, then I went and saw an alternative doctor and that seemed to help too, but truth is I don't want to rely on anything but feel I really do need something most days. My emotions are all out of whack too. I'll cry for no reason at times and get angry and impatient with "life". I must really sound like a fruit cake lol!!!
  • Me48Plus2
    Options
    I'm 48 and have some of the symptoms now for a few years. Still have the period though :(
    It's very hard to adapt to getting old, but my husband is dealing with low-testosterone issues, so I don't feel as bad.
    The hard part is still wanting sex, and he doesn't :(. Well, he does, but he doesn't get the desire because of the low-T, and that's hard to take as a woman too because we want be be desireable.
    It's a matter of telling yourself that it's life, and we have to find a balance to our self-worth, rather than age.
    Taking vitamin supplements definitely helps with the night sweats !! I take a good green powder vitamin supplement every morning and the difference is huge ! I never had hot flashes, although I do feel warm overall most of the time.
    I can't stress enough that vitamin supplements are huge in squelching alot of the symptoms.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, last cycle was when I was 42. Symptoms started prior to that. :smile:
  • tcchasse
    Options
    I too am 43 almost 44 and am peri-menopausal! It's been a HUGE struggle losing weight through this which the dr claims is because of the hormones. I have lost about 30 lbs on here and 20 on my own before that. Of course now I've been stuck for a while but dr says keep plugging away and eventually my body will catch up. I too started feeling really old just because of being told that and all the things that go with it...hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, ect, lol. I feel really alone being this young going through this because most women don't understand our age. SO I def hear ya!
  • delor44
    Options
    I am 44, have not had a cycle for over three years. Fully menopausal. Hot flashes have been very rough, mood swings, whole nine yards. The worst is not sleeping well. I have found if I eat healthy, exercise regularly and keep alcohol intake low, hot flashes are much better, Easy, right? :embarassed: Have had some miserable days but keep telling myself it is only temporary. I highly recommend the book Our Bodies Ourselves Menopause. Great info no matter what option you choose and great insights. Reading it made me feel glad to know I am not alone.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My doctor ran the test when I was in my early 40's and said it will be soon. I'm almost 50 and it has been gradual - now I'm starting to really notice.

Hang in there - you get to be free at an earlier age :happy:
  • michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have some of the symptoms now for a few years. Still have the period though :(
    It's very hard to adapt to getting old, but my husband is dealing with low-testosterone issues, so I don't feel as bad.
    The hard part is still wanting sex, and he doesn't :(. Well, he does, but he doesn't get the desire because of the low-T, and that's hard to take as a woman too because we want be be desireable.
    It's a matter of telling yourself that it's life, and we have to find a balance to our self-worth, rather than age.
    Taking vitamin supplements definitely helps with the night sweats !! I take a good green powder vitamin supplement every morning and the difference is huge ! I never had hot flashes, although I do feel warm overall most of the time.
    I can't stress enough that vitamin supplements are huge in squelching alot of the symptoms.

Can you please share the name of the supplement you're taking?

Thanks!
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi - so glad to have found this group! I am 44. About 2 years ago had to have two big knee surgeries that just left me totally wiped out. My dr. thinks that my body tried to overcompensate and it just threw me into hormone flux. Thyroid got shot - I am hypo but not Hashimotos. I just upped my thyroid (taking Armour) and am starting bio-identical compounded progesterone and am having my androgens checked in a few weeks as well. I feel really lucky to have a dr available and covered by my ins. who specializes in bio-identicals but would really like to find other women who are navigating this new phase of life also. I put on about 20 lbs in the last two years - 10 of that I understand as I was working out and lifting a lot - but the other 10 has got to go ASAP ;)
  • lynblizzard67
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newibe to both this group and MFP. Janaury 2012, my blood work up confirmed peri-menopause. Since my 45th birthday, I'm not in a good place meantally or physically. Feeling over whelmed all the time, sad, angry, not giving a rats *kitten*, severe case of clausterphobia for some reason, I just got get enough space!!! No hot flashes but running warm ALL.THE. TIME! Now, I'm having trouble sleeping and whoever came up with "Don't sweat the small stuff", I just want punch square in the face!! Cause if the garbage is taken out, dirty clothes not in the hamper and the 2 dishes in the sick can't get washed...those around me run for the hills..LOL
    My job is another story but definitely does not help with my rollercoaster ride of emotions. I'm tired of feeling this way and being uncomfortable in my own skin. I'm 5'11 and 166# so I am within my weight range (I think) but I can't stand the loose, jiggly feeling anymore either, I don't even want my spouse touching me. After months of reading articles on menopause, diet/exercise, nutrition/supplements...Here I am! Ready, willing and able..today anyway as the mood swing permits..LOL

Looking for friends to share this rollercoaster ride with
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newibe to both this group and MFP. Janaury 2012, my blood work up confirmed peri-menopause. Since my 45th birthday, I'm not in a good place meantally or physically. Feeling over whelmed all the time, sad, angry, not giving a rats *kitten*, severe case of clausterphobia for some reason, I just got get enough space!!! No hot flashes but running warm ALL.THE. TIME! Now, I'm having trouble sleeping and whoever came up with "Don't sweat the small stuff", I just want punch square in the face!! Cause if the garbage is taken out, dirty clothes not in the hamper and the 2 dishes in the sick can't get washed...those around me run for the hills..LOL
    My job is another story but definitely does not help with my rollercoaster ride of emotions. I'm tired of feeling this way and being uncomfortable in my own skin. I'm 5'11 and 166# so I am within my weight range (I think) but I can't stand the loose, jiggly feeling anymore either, I don't even want my spouse touching me. After months of reading articles on menopause, diet/exercise, nutrition/supplements...Here I am! Ready, willing and able..today anyway as the mood swing permits..LOL

Looking for friends to share this rollercoaster ride with
    You're my twin!
    fwiw, bioidentical progesterone "cooled me down". I was warm for 2 years.
  • cktb4him
    Options
    I'm 37 and already experiencing insomnia, night sweats, crazy nightmares and dreams, and occasional hot flashes. I'm finding it insanely difficult to get off the midsection weight I've never experienced before. I've gained 10 pounds. I used to be able to lose weight with no problem, not now! I'm also crazy emotional- very similar to when I was pregnant. One minute I'm crying over nothing (and I'm not one to cry) and the next I'm fuming mad at nothing as well. I am scheduled to go in for bloodwork to confirm peri-menopause since I had a total hysterectomy 3 years ago my cycle is not a good predictor of where I am.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have got to do some reading up on this....I have been having these symptoms for months....