Asda turkey sausages...

Options
MattArcade
MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
I've been eating these a lot as a way to increase my protein and stay away From processed sausage and red meat. Now on the packaging they. Say 100% turkey with nothing added. Are these healthy for me?

Wanted to see if anyone else has them :)

Replies

• spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    100% of which bit of the turkey? and does it mention mechanically reclaimed meat?
  • MattArcade
    Options
    got this info from the asda site:

Ingredients
    Turkey (75%) , Rusk [Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Raising Agent (Ammonium Carbonate)] , Water , Seasoning [Salt, Stabiliser (Triphosphates), Spices, Wheat Flour, Preservative (Sodium Sulphite), Dextrose, Herbs, Preservative (Ascorbic Acid), Flavouring, Spice Extracts] , Beef Casing .

Other information

Allergy Advice
    Contains Gluten. Contains Wheat. Contains Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites.

Nutritional Values
    Typical values (grilled) per 100g:
    Energy 754kJ/180kcal
    Protein 20.6g
    Carbohydrate 6.3g
    of which sugars 1.3g
    Fat 7.6g
    of which saturates 2.2g
    Fibre 1.9g
    Sodium 0.52g
    equivalent as salt 1.3g
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i tend to go for sausages that are 90% or more meat if possible... the more actual meat they have in the less cr*p they have in... 75% turkey means 25% god knows what!!!!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would buy turkey breast, flavour and season at home. If you really want sausage shape, form into rissoles and cook.. no unpronouncable ingredients.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Gosh, based on no evidence at all, I would avoid them.they are surely processed to Hell and contain who knows what?

I am with Dave H on this, but would use free range or organic, and avoiding anything with Bernard in the title
  • MattArcade
    Options
    thanks all i but turkey steaks and turkey mince too so can just drop the sausages :)
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Really good sausages are upwards of 80% meat, and the remainder will be rusk and herbs and that's how it should be.
    However they will also tell you what part of the animal they came from.

75% turkey is not total junk (some are like 40% meat or less) but its not special.
    You tend to get what you pay for with sausages so its more cost effective to buy plain turkey meat and just rub in some herbs or something if you want a more interesting flavour.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    A sausage designed to be low calorie is usually going to have some amount of 'filler'. I think they sound fine. If you enjoy a food, I think you should try to include that food in any long term eating plan. If you can find a healthier alternative, bonus points.
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Great thanks everyone :) ill keep searching for healthier alternatives
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Best just to avoid the premade all together, recovered meats and remember salmon, chicken and turkey are your friend for upping protein :)
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A sausage designed to be low calorie is usually going to have some amount of 'filler'. I think they sound fine. If you enjoy a food, I think you should try to include that food in any long term eating plan. If you can find a healthier alternative, bonus points.

I've had success adding 25% shredded cauliflower to well seasoned ground meat, it works in any mince meat recipe, forms into patties or sausage shapes and reduces the calories per portion.

Try adding other shredded veg, onion, garlic, celeriac all work well.
  • LilMissDB
    Options
    I've never made sausages but you can totally add all kinds of veg to patties. I always add way more grated courgette and carrot than meat - need to bind it together with an egg though :)