Cold Weather Training

Options
krisiepoo
krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
I live in MN... it gets cold here in the winter :)

In the past, I've just gone running on a treadmill when it gets cold but I'm not looking forward to 10+ miles on a treadmill on a regular basis (I'm going to start training for a full marathon soon).

I've checked out some local field houses and they're all around 7 laps = 1 mile which is redonkulous

So, I'm going to need to run outside, in the bitter cold. I'll set a limit, like nothing under 0d or 10d or maybe the windchill can't be below a certain number. I haven't decided yet.

But, my question is... what kind of gear do you all use for this stuff? I'll be checking out a running store before too long but I'm so busy that I don't have time right now to really research this stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I live in Montana, so I understand!

My general rule of thumb is that I don't run in anything less than 20 (with windchill factored into that), but I'm big baby when it comes to the cold. My husband will run when its 10 degrees...

When it does get that cold, I wear long johns under my sweats, a long sleeve tech shirt, and a Nike Running jacket. Also gloves (with hand warmers on colder days) and a hat and/or heavy duty head band that covers my ears. And Smart Wool Socks.

Basically you need to dress in layers than figure out what you need and don't need over the course of several runs. I would suggest a couple of short runs in the cold to give you an idea of what works for you.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • dipletti
    dipletti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada (Ontario) so I understand cold...
    My group doesn't run if it gets below -30.
    I wear fleece lined tights, a base layer shirt, a long sleeve shirt and my winter running coat (which more often than not comes off at some point) I start with mitts but they also end up coming off. My toque stays on...

It really depends on how hot you run. There are some in my group who wear a balaclava and mitts their entire run.
    It will take a bit of trial and error...good luck!
  • ChylaF
    ChylaF Posts: 2
    Options
    We've been running in -20'C weather... it actually really wasnt that bad... I wore winter run pants with a shell pant over... winter run jacket with a hoody over... made sure to have mitts, scarf and ears covered. Id rather the cold than the wind. Try to stick to neighbourhoods that are close together so theres less wind.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I have some underarmour running tights and an underarmour long sleeve shirt and a fleece jacket. I also wear a fleece hat and some stretchy gloves. This is plenty for me as I warm up quite a bit when I run. That being said, I'm also a 20's person. Anything colder than that and I'm a big baby and head to the dreadmill at the gym!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've been out running several times this winter and while it hasn't been UNpleasant I'd have to say it really hasn't been my favorite thing either. I've run in temps as low as -4*F and I don't have the gear for that even wearing several layers... it's the sweat that gets to me... last weekend I couldn't get my thumbs out of the sleeves because my clothes were icicles, LOL

That being said, theres something magical about running on a winter day.
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That being said, theres something magical about running on a winter day.

There really is, isn't there? And I don't even like winter! LOL...But it can be so pretty out...