Making the Homestyle Chili Edible

Options
If you're like me, you saw the winter warm up package and ordered two. Now you're stuck with two boxes of "chili" that is just not palatable, that is unless you like your beans as hard as rocks.

What I have done is soak the chili for two hours in 6 oz of water (rather than the suggested 4). Cook as instructed on the package. I heard that following the stove top instructions helps as well, but I have only had opportunity to use the microwave. Once the chili is done, add a condiment size serving of salsa (try to find one without sugar as an ingredient). The one that I have found tastes great has Roasted Tomato & Chipotle.

When the directions say "season to taste", they weren't joking. This can be pretty bland unless you add stuff to it. Try experimenting with your favorite chili spices.

What other medifast meal alterations have you guys found that are good?

Replies

• muscat_princess
    Options
    ya i ordered it once n just couldnt...then tried it again n soaked them. id add the water when i made my MF meal before..so like two or three hours...then when it was time i heat it n add a WHOLE LOT of hot sause. lol now i dont mind it all that much.
  • jodybob
    Options
    I also use fat free chicken broth instead of water!! A Smaaladen teaspoon of fatfree sour cream also helps ;)
  • maryb2011
    maryb2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a thermos container that I pour 4 oz of boiling water in in the morning. It is perfect by lunch and pretty tasty. I will sometimes add a low calorie laughing cow cheese and some Tiger sauce (hot sauce).
  • spacreek13
    Options
    Thanks for the great tip on the chili. Just starting and it has been very bland.
  • disappearingdeb
    Options
    I love the chili after I season it up - a lot! First I do add almost a cup of water so it's not so thick and more like soup. I boil it the whole 2 1/2 minutes then add salt, pepper, and lots of chili pepper and cayenne pepper, then cook the entire minute and the beans are cooked enough. It is one of my favorites now
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You can add 1 wedge of laughing cow lite cheese (2 wedges of the lite l/c cheese is 1 fat). Or 1 tablespoon of salsa. But whatever you do, make sure you let it soak before you cook it.