Vegetables...

Options
b_ray_73
b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
So, I've been having a really hard time getting my veggies in. My house is stocked with nightshades of various types, peas, corn... a bunch of stuff that I shouldn't be eating on the plan. Most of this is because my daughter will eat those... Needless to say, I've been avoiding legumes, corn etc and haven't really been getting my veggies in. Even days where I get the salad bar at work I'm still not getting enough.

Today is payday and I was planning on going grocery shopping and getting things more plan-friendly. I haven't had a chance to look at the recipes yet but I'm wondering what types of veggies are good to have around that you can make a lot of primal/paleo dishes from. (My veggie cooking skills are severely lacking since I've been working with such a limited palette)

I know everyone is going to have different opinions on what the staples are because of different tastes, I'm just wondering so I can make sure I make smart choices at the grocer on my way home from work.

Thanks!

Replies

• JasonKoverman
    JasonKoverman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually keep lots of brussel sprouts stocked along with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Cauliflower is very diverse as it can be steamed, mashed or raw. It is also used in lots of paleo/primal recipes. My wife likes to keep sweet potatoes around but they are a little too starchy for me as I am trying to currently lose a few more pounds. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    Green bell peppers were used in my Whole30 way more than I thought.

When I would cook philly cheese steaks for others, I'd top my meat with bell peppers and onions. When we had chicken tacos, I'd saute my chicken with peppers and onions and eat it in lettuce wraps. You can even stuff the bell peppers with mixes of your choice. More veggies even.

I kept around: canned tomato sauce, onions, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, carrots.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I always have bags of cauliflower in the freezer to make into mash or fauxtato salad. We love broccoli so I buy lots when I find a sale. We eat a LOT of greens: turnips, collards, bok choy, spinach, cabbage.... and they're so easy to fix. Wash, chop and set aside. Get a BIG pan or pot and throw in some cut up bacon slices and some chopped onion. Cook until the bacon is mostly done, then throw in the greens and add several inches of water or stock. Cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.

Some weeks, the only veggies I can get my kids to eat are green beans (canned, not freshly cooked ... nasty!) and raw carrots, so I keep plenty of those on hand.

The kids are weird about zucchini in stirfries, but they will eat all I can make if I turn them into noodles (juilliened). They are pretty delicious, but I prefer spaghetti squash. ;)
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, kale and broccoli are on my list every week, as are zucchini and other squashes when they're in season. Spinach, kale and other greens too, plus brussels sprouts, parsnips and cabbage.

This steam saute method from The Clothes Makes the Girl can be really helpful for keeping things on hand and ready to go: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/10/13/the-secret-of-veggies-steam-saute/

I also roast a lot - it's amazing how much more palatable that can make veggies for a lot of people!

Edited to add: nomnompaleo.com is a great resource for veggie ideas too!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I saute' a lot of spinach and cabbage. I also steam green beans and broccoli a lot. I also try to sneak my veggies into stuff, such as putting a lot of veggies into my eggs in the morning (usually spinach, peppers, onions, etc.).
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I second the steam-sautee method!

Also, if your kids don't want to eat veggies, here's a DELICIOUS way to encorporate more. I love these things so much. Seriously. Best. Meatball. Ever.

http://everydaypaleo.com/garden-fresh-meatballs/
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat an obscene amount of cucumber and tomato. It's my sort of go-to side for dinner. A bunch of meat and cut-up cucumber and tomato with some dressing or mayo or sometimes just salt and pepper. If I'm feeling froggy, I'll boil up some spinach or broccoli.

I have pretty low standards for food preparation, I think. pretty much cut up the veg, burn the meat a little and I'm good to go. I'm not good enough at cooking to be any more elaborate than that.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm a roasted brocolli girl. I could eat it at every meal. I also eat a lot of green beans.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    the veggies I use the most are cauliflower, peppers, onions, brussel sprouts, brocolli , carrots, turnip , zucchini and sweet potatos. They would be my main go to veggies for most of my recipes ...hoever lately I have been roasting parsnips, so yummy!!!
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I saw you mentioned nightshades and how you have an abundance of them in your house right now. Do you have issues with your thyroid? That's typically the reason people mention nightshades. I know because I have Hashimoto's and have to watch my intake of these veggies in their raw state and even in their cooked state, I try to limit them.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I have pretty low standards for food preparation, I think. pretty much cut up the veg, burn the meat a little and I'm good to go. I'm not good enough at cooking to be any more elaborate than that.

i love it!!!

i'm similar with the raw veg, except that my go-to is red bell pepper. i eat it with other stuff, without other stuff, raw, cooked into lasagne/meat sauces/stir frys etc. i got funny looks at work the other day as i was spreading pate onto a chunk of pepper...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My go to list of vegetables is:

Zucchini
    Yellow Squash
    Spaghetti Squash
    Butternut Squash
    Pumpkin
    Brocolli
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage (green, napa, red)
    Brusselsprouts (see above)
    Spinach
    Different types of lettuce (right now I have romaine, red leaf and ice berg from my market crate)
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Provided you get in a good whack of organ meat now and again, you don't need to sweat veggies much.

I have a sweet potato or two for post-workout.

Occasional spinach, broccoli, carrot, squash. I probably cook at least an onion a day, 'cause they're damned tasty.

Cerebrus189: Nightshades are a common irritant. I can't deal with them well myself. I have to even avoid paprika.
  • b_ray_73
    Options
    I saw you mentioned nightshades and how you have an abundance of them in your house right now. Do you have issues with your thyroid? That's typically the reason people mention nightshades. I know because I have Hashimoto's and have to watch my intake of these veggies in their raw state and even in their cooked state, I try to limit them.

I'm mostly trying to stay away from them because the seem to mess with my system some and I can't seem to prepare them in a way that doesn't so I thought I'd try to live without them for a while.
  • b_ray_73
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the ideas! I'll definitely have some things to try out this week :)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, green beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus, AVOCADO, salad greens, carrots, celery, spaghetti squash, acorn and butternut squash. I want to try turnips again soon.

Frozen cauliflower thrown into a food processor makes a great "rice".
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Provided you get in a good whack of organ meat now and again, you don't need to sweat veggies much.

can someone please tell me good ways to cook organ meats so that i can swallow them? I like steak and kidney pie if i cut the kidneys up small enough. and i've seen a recipe for goat liver curry that i could tweak. other than that, i stay away from them though i'd like to eat more if it's palatable...
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Avocados, zucchini, green beans, kale (which I'll eat sauteed with olive oil or bacon or raw in a salad...Love it!), broccoli, mushrooms,bell peppers. Pretty much if its green, I'll eat it haha. I like zucchini and yellow squash probably the best out of all the veggies because I can spiral slice them into noodles, sautee with bacon or olive oil and some thin sliced onion, slice down the middle long ways and scoop out the seeds and make a boat to fill with meat, I eat it raw dipped in some kind of dip (guacamoleis good )
  • b_ray_73
    Options

can someone please tell me good ways to cook organ meats so that i can swallow them?

^^This. The only organ I've had before is liver. I'm sure it was just the person who cooked it not knowing what they were doing but it was really not good. I've seen beef heart at the grocer and been curious but I have no idea how to cook it or how hard it is to cook either...

Also, thank you all so much for the ideas yesterday, I arrived home from work with a ton of veggies and some good ideas on preparing them!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered frozen veggies. There are these steamfresh bags (not the ones with sauce!) that you can stick directly in the the microwave. I usually put a little bit of butter (but you could totally use oil or ghee or something) and salt and lemon juice after I steam em and it's super yummy and easy.

Also I've been putting a lot of frozen spinach in things like last night I made a frittata/casserole type thing with it and it was a great way to sneak in some veggies.

I'm sure fresh is better, but it's nice to just always have some frozen on hand to hide in casseroles or steamed on the side.