Safe for very overweight people?

Options
crazyola26
crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
Hey! I'd like to do this, but I'm very out of shape. I'm close to 220 right now and I'm 5'5". The comments about this sound both exciting and a little scary. Is it safe for someone my size to jump into?? I'm not a runner... not much of an exerciser right now period... but I'm motivated to try!! Just don't want to hurt myself.

Replies

• bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well, I weigh a little more than you do and I'm shorter--and I'm going to do it. I've watched the Level 1 workout and Jillian says she has 400 lb people doing the jumping jacks. I don't think it's going to be easy--but I think it'll be good for me. Some people say they pause when they can't keep going. I'll probably walk in place or do legs without arms if I have trouble keeping up. I remember from aerobics classes in my younger days was that the goal was to keep moving--so that's what I'm going to do!

I'm going to stop at ****'s and buy new shoes on the way home--and hopefully a useful sports bra. I'm going to have DH take my measurements and pictures tonight.

I'm going to do this--it's going to be hard. But I think it'll be good for me--and 30 days from February 1, I'll be glad I did it!
  • kkimber2
    kkimber2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did it last night for the first time and I am 236 lbs. I have to admit it was kind of hard doing the jumping jacks and jump rope at first beacuse it has been so long since I have done them but once I got started it was kind of easier. The workout is slow but it does make you sweat. I found it easy to follow and I really like it. The only thing is I probably should have streched out before doing the video because I pulled my hamstring in the rt leg. I will do it again tonight just not as many jumping parts.
  • shawnachaffins
    shawnachaffins Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on day 6 of doing it, and I will be honest when I first done it I thought I wasn't going to make it through but then the way she has it set up right when you get to that point the exercises ease up a little ( like easier types of strength training it lets up catch your breath then your ready to go back into the cardio.) I love this and gained a lot of endurance just from six days of it. Just don't over do it and ease your self into it. I have RA so I have to be careful a bout joint damage so I modify some of the exercises just a little to take less strain off my joints.....But def give it a try!!!!!!!
  • Princ3ssj
    Princ3ssj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely try! JM knows from years on BL how to work with all body types, I think her routines are designed to be modified as needed.
    As said earlier, at the very least just keep moving! even if its walking in place or just doing the arms and not the legs... its going to burn calories and eventually your muscles get use to it and you can do the full movements. Its a tough 18 minutes, she packs it full of a full body work out. Have some water handy and dont push TOO hard... if youre crazy sore the next day you might be discouraged to not keep going(Ive done this too many times to count) the soreness the next day is worse than the actual work out for me...
    Ive never made it through the full 30 days.... hoping this group will make it happen.
    Lets all stay motivated!
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    Hey! I'd like to do this, but I'm very out of shape. I'm close to 220 right now and I'm 5'5". The comments about this sound both exciting and a little scary. Is it safe for someone my size to jump into?? I'm not a runner... not much of an exerciser right now period... but I'm motivated to try!! Just don't want to hurt myself.

I agree with the other posters that you just have to keep moving and work out as hard as you can, take a breath, sip of water, pause it and just keep moving. You can do it!

On another note.......If you are looking for a video that has modified moves "The Biggest Loser - The Workout At-Home Challenge" is absolutely fantastic. It has 4 contestants from BL and they do different versions of the workouts depending on their abilities.
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! I have a nasty cold right now but I am hoping to start as soon as I can breathe... Thank you for your encouraging posts!!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The thing is to listen to your body. If you cant keep up then just go a bit slower do a few less whatevers, switch to something you can do. As long as you keep moving your still doing it ;)
    and dont be too hard on yourself!
    x
  • sumerain28
    sumerain28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    im 210 lbs and.today is day 3 for me and let me tell ya ..its a great work.out . im sooo sore ..but in a good way lol ..especially my thighs
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would give it a go and make sure your form is perfect rather than keeping up, I am a heavy girl and when jumping or anything really I need to be sure me form is right or the weight all goes to my knees to carry and I will get injured. So focus on form rather than how many reps.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet... have a checkup with your doctor first.

Assuming that you are fairly healthy or that you have seen your doctor or that you don't have really bad knee issues - just make focus on your form during circuits and try to do as many reps as you can in the time allotted.
  • Cilla001
    Cilla001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Updated my stats. I believe they are visible to friends list. Can't wait to start!
  • bethFromDayton
    Options
    I think my weight (223) is why I'm having so much trouble with the cardio--the jumping up and down is really hard for me. The punches I can do. I'm not sure what to do about it other than to keep at it and keep moving.
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it. I am just about your size and I'm doing it and I am feeling GREAT! Yes, it's tough, but we have to start somewhere right? The great thing is that she shows you how to do easier versions of some of the exercises. Even if you can't do it at first don't give up. You'll notice that with time it'll start to get easier and your body will back you up.
  • Kmadden316
    Kmadden316 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 239, and I don't have any problem doing it. It's a butt kicking, but if I can do it, so can you!
  • bethFromDayton
    Options
    I started this at 225. I stopped after 5 days because of knee pain. My doctor told me today that the problem is with both of my inner miniscus. He says no more jumping jacks--ever--that they are bad for knees, ankles, and hips. (That doesn't mean they're not good cardio--but he doesn't think anyone should be doing them.) (Other doctors might have different opinions, of course.)

If I restart 30DS, it will be without any jumping cardio--that means for level 1, the only cardio I'll do without modification is the punches.

Of course, not everyone has my knees!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I started at 240. The main thing is to listen to your body. Push yourself but KNOW when you need to modify and be ok with that. I modified jumping jacks and pushups. And did *skip rope* instead of jump rope lol. But I got through it and deft got stronger :)