Former wallflower here

Options
wendybird5
wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
Since everyone was introducing themselves, I thought I'd post a little blurb as well.

I've been on MFP since June of 2011. I celebrated my 40th birthday a few months ago by registering a 70 pound weight loss and hitting my goal size (I'm now two sizes smaller). I wish I had done this 10-20 years sooner, but at least I have now. I'm just 4 pounds away from my original goal (155 - my high school weight which is just a five pounds shy of the suggested healthy weight for my height). But these last four pounds have been the hardest. I had hit the +2 pound mark just before Christmas and... well, you know... Christmas.

So for the last week of 2012 and the first couple weeks of 2013 I was fighting so hard to lose that gained weight and hit my goal, but kept hitting a wall at 157 and just bouncing between it and 159. Got frustrated one weekend, binged heavy and all the sodium gave me a ton of water weight. So I joined a weight loss challenge at my gym to give myself a new goal of 140 to hit by the end of February. (I intentionally made it almost impossible just to push myself.)

I also decided to hide my scale because watching the needle go back and forth was starting to depress me. Hiding my scale turned out to be the best thing. I never realised how much I was stressing myself out until I stopped weighing myself every morning. Now I'm doing it biweekly at the gym for this weight loss challenge and spend the rest of my time being more focused on developing a new fitness routine for myself and just using my jean size as a gauge for progress between weigh-ins.

I'm now working on switching up my routine to incorporate more strength training and reducing my cardio a bit. Also I'm thinking of a career change. I like helping people and after all the success I've had losing weight and having people coming up to ask me so many questions all the time, I'm thinking I'd like to be a healthy lifestyle coach and help people find ways to incorporate healthier living in their lives that will work with their lifestyle.

Anyway, none of this would have happened without MFP and I love it here. I also love hearing everyone's great ideas, insight, stories and even the non-weight and diet stuff. I'm really excited to be a part of this group and hope I can contribute in a meaningful way. Thanks for starting this one, Suzi!!

Replies

• SuziScott
    Options
    Great story! Thanks for sharing! I agree about the career change! I am a photographer, but love doing Beachbody Coaching way more. It is so easy because people are always asking me what I do to stay fit :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Great way to celebrate your 40th! And what an awesome career change! KUDOS!
    :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou:
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Nice accomplishment Wendy! Way to achieve your goals. Sounds like you're focused on a lot of positive changes. Good for you!
  • jbr121
    jbr121 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good to hear you've freed yourself from the scales! I lost 40lbs before I joined MFP and at first I'd weigh every day, but found it demotivated me more than it helped, with those funny blips that we all get. These days I only weigh every week/10 days (when I remember) and I know if I've been good, then the scale will show it.

I'm happy to say now, at 40, I weigh less than I ever have since I was 16(!) , I'm considerably fitter and feeling great!