anyone with PCOS ever conceived just by loosing weight?

Options
After trying Clomid and Femera for many months with no luck, I am hoping that by loosing weight I will be able to conceive naturally, and if not hopefully weighing a lot less will help the clomid work? If you have conceived by just loosing weight here is my questions:

What was your highest weight?

What was your weight when you conceived ( with or without clomid)?

How much weight did you loose before yourperiods started to regulate?

Also, did you gain a lot during pregnancy?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Highest weight - 240
    Weight when I conceived: 225 (no Clomid, or anything else, all natural)
    I honestly don't know if my periods had regulated. I just kind of conceived. It was a bit of a surprise. We had been trying for a year with no luck (and cycles of about 6-8 weeks). We were just about the start fertility testing and I got pregnant.
    I gained about 15-20 lbs. during pregnancy.

This time around, we have been trying for about 13 months. Seven of those months I had no period at all. Thanks to Metformin, I now have one every 4-5 weeks. All of this even though I now weigh about 5 lbs. less than I did when I conceived last time, I still have not conceived yet.
  • motivatedshi
    motivatedshi Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing miranda, I have been trying to conceive for 4 years, one time i was able to with clomid in year one , but miscarried shortley afterwards, and now three years after miscarriage nothing :( I hope you get you BFP soon!
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    With my oldest, I had been on the pill for 3 years prior & started having issues with it & went off of it to see if that was the problem. The year after stopping birth control I had 1 medically induced period, so we assumed that we were infertile & stopped preventing. I would have gotten pregnant on cycle day 80 or 90 something. After that I assumed the issues with my cycles were caused by the pill. I was 268 when I got pregnant.

With my youngest I had been on the nuvaring for a few months when we decided that we would like to have another baby & figured it would probably take a while considering we didn't prevent for a year before getting pregnant with our oldest. Surprisingly it only took 5 months, but I only had 3 cycles in that time frame & the 3rd cycle was the one that we conceived on. I was 272 when I got pregnant.

This time around we have been trying for 19 months. After stopping birth control in July 2011, I had a 113 day cycle & then went on to have 3 somewhat normal cycles (36-38 days). After that they started getting longer again. July 2012 I went to my doctor to be seen because I suspected PCOS. Blood work & ultrasounds confirmed it. I also found out that I am insulin resistant & in September 2012 I was started on 1500 mg of metformin. Since then I have had 3 cycles on my own & am on the 4th now (which based on my chart is looking annovulatory.... boo!) I hope that getting down to a healthier weight will regulate my cycles & allow us to have one more child, but if not I want to be at a healthier weight before we try any fertility treatments.
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story thus far mrswaite!
  • mommy_of_four
    Options
    I have concieved 3 of my 4 with just weight loss. No fertility treatments of any kind. My husband and I don't use birth control at all. Why bother with PCOS? Yes I know it can regulate your cycles, but I don't like what it does to me. The highest weight I have been when we concieved was 194 lowest was 125 (with our first) I gained 75lbs with our first! Lowest after that was 160. With our 4th I had seen an endocrinologist who put me on metformin. I took it for about 2 months or so then started taking lots of cinnamon instead. I concieved in just a few months. It was really a surprise. We really weren't trying. But it's been that way with all 4 so far. Now we have decided to leave it in God's hands. If He chooses to bless us with more children we will gladly take them, if not we'll be happy with the 4 blessings we have now!
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    After trying Clomid and Femera for many months with no luck, I am hoping that by loosing weight I will be able to conceive naturally, and if not hopefully weighing a lot less will help the clomid work? If you have conceived by just loosing weight here is my questions:

What was your highest weight?

What was your weight when you conceived ( with or without clomid)?

How much weight did you loose before yourperiods started to regulate?

Also, did you gain a lot during pregnancy?

I was around 220-230 (5'6) when I was diagnosed with PCOS. They gave me Metformin and told me to lose 10 percent of my weight before they would try clomid. That took 2-3 months. I tried Clomid for three months. No dice. Turns out my husband has fertility issues as well. About four months later we went to a RE who said IVF was the only shot. We couldn't afford it so we gave up. Three months later (I was at 180ish), I was pregnant. No meds (but Metformin for weight loss.), we weren't even trying anymore.

I actually lost weight during pregnancy but I don't think I'm the norm for that. :) I did have questionable blood sugar levels but after the 3-hour gestational diabetes test I came back fine.
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Rachel!!! Keep the stories coming girls!
  • ginaNJ73
    Options
    I was told I had PCOS a couple years before conceiving. Although, my doctor did not really know too much about it, she did not prescribe any medications or anything. She told me if I lost some weight it would increase chances of getting pregnant. I did lose about 40 lbs. over the span of 2 yrs. Up and down... ya know how it goes. I was still over 200... about 220. I got preggers and only gained 7 lbs with my daughter.! 3 yrs later, again, with no meds I conceived my son and only gained 6 lbs with that pregnancy! 6 years later I am still dealing with PCOS, and finally trying to get this weight off once and for all! Good luck with your PCOS and trying to have a baby!!
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I tried clomid (100mg) conceived and miscarried. I got on the kick of working out my stress and lost about 17lbs which brought me back to 220lbs (give or take a few; I can't remember). Anyways I got pregnant without out trying and my doctor was sure it was because of the weightloss. (Before we had been TTC for about 3yrs). We lost our baby boy due to PTL and then I went back on my kick of stress free and lost more weight and got pregnant (SURPRISE) with my daughter. I think I gained during whole pregnancy maybe 25lbs. I was 247 when after I had her. I've since gained weight and am at my highest of 265lbs. I'm not TTC but do wish you the best of luck and prayers. Feel free to add me to friends if you need the extra support. Its hard having PCOS stuggling in "normal"
    life and then TTC.

":YOUR STRONG YOU WILL GET THERE"
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    melody, im so sorry about your losses, I also had a misscarraige a couple years ago, and it was very hard... but also happy for you about you daughter. Thanks for the kind words
  • LaChinaDoll
    LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I conceived my son after losing 50lbs. Had an amazing pregnancy.

I go to a natural doctor. So aside from the herbs (pills) I took to regulate my cycle along with natural progesterone. Diet was a huge help in my opinion. Mainly clean eating and I went vegan for about a year before I had him.

highest weight 197
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    Inspiring stories ladies, so important to hear about successes, it really keeps a girl going :)
  • irishgrim
    Options
    I conceived my son after losing 50lbs. Had an amazing pregnancy.

I go to a natural doctor. So aside from the herbs (pills) I took to regulate my cycle along with natural progesterone. Diet was a huge help in my opinion. Mainly clean eating and I went vegan for about a year before I had him.

highest weight 197

What herbs did you take? Vitex? Cinnamon w/Chromium? Maca?

I just started 2x a day Vitex and 1tsp Maca. I am not TTC but just trying to regulate my cycle. How long till you saw improvement?
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I posted my full story here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/854527-infertility-weight-loss-and-hope-my-story?page=1#posts-13067088
    It's all about how losing weight helped me conceive.

To answer your questions,

My highest weight non-pregnant: 198 lbs
    Weight when we conceived:
    Baby #1- 183 (with clomid after 18 months trying)
    Baby #2- 164 (naturally after 18 months)
    Baby #3- 155 (naturally after 12 months)
    Baby #4 - 136 (naturally after 2 months)
    Weight loss it took to regulate periods: about 10 -20 lbs each time seemed to help significantly, but not until close to a healthy BMI was it really regular.
    Gain during pregnancy: 29 lbs, 25 lbs, 22 lbs respectively. Still pregnant with #4.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It's not just overweight women with PCOS that have trouble conceiving. Obesity causes MOST women problems conceiving.
    Our bodies are not designed to support pregnancy when unhealthy or obese. How many 300+ pound pregnant woman have you met in your life?? Though I knew of a 400 pound woman who constantly complained that she couldn't get pregnant. :grumble: She lost a ton of weight an BOOM, pregnant.. :laugh:
  • motivatedshi
    Options
    bump
  • mylifemadelite
    Options
    I started out at 307 (5'9").

I actually conceived on Clomid with an IUI the first time and I was 277. I lost the pregnancy at 7 1/2 weeks. This was before I started losing weight. Then my weight ballooned up to 307. In March of the following year I started losing weight. I got down to 255 lbs. I was tracking ovulation about three months into it. It took me that long to have a normal cycle. I started ovulating on my own after about 35 lbs loss (close to the 10% everyone recommends) and continued to ovulate every month for a couple of months until we started trying again. We did not start trying until October. We conceived on our own the very first month no Clomid, no IUI.

I gained all the way up to my highest weight so 50 lbs! Most of that gain was in the late second trimester. It turned out I developed hypertension and had to be induced. After two weeks I was only 10 lbs from my prepregnancy weight so that was all fluid and baby (he was big), but I never developed GD. Unfortunately, after I stopped breastfeeding I packed on some weight and here I am trying to get back down to prepreg weight again and then continue losing. I am currently 10 months post partum.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant with my first daughter I weighed 197 pounds (I am 5'4") I lost 30 pounds and found out I was pregnant quite by surprise. I hadn't had a period in the 5 months it took me to drop the 30 pounds. I weighed 212 pounds when I gave birth but I had developed Preeclampsia which caused me to gain 15 pounds in the last 7 days -- it was all water.

With my second (10 months later) I got pregnant as soon as my weight got back down to 170 and I gained 25 pounds.

With my third I got my weight to 170 got pregnant and gained 20 pounds I was following a low carb eating plan when I got pregnant.

I never took any meds.
  • amandacondon
    Options
    This thread is so encouraging to me. I have been overweight since forever. We have tried for several years and nothing. THis year I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with pcos so now I understand why but I dont want to live on medication and do want to have many children. I am encouraged that losing weight could be enough.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My weight gain that triggered my PCOS happened during my first pregnancy (was a normal weight before and had been for 6 years - normal weight was achieved by eating low carb (back when it was popular) and exercising 1 hour a day). Had no trouble concieveing my first, or my second, less than 5 months later (both boys). BUT, I gained almost 100 pounds with each one while following a diet plan given to me by a nutritionist who basically called me a liar each week when I weighed in. Something about the pregnancy hormones with boys combined with my PCOS packed the weigh on like CRAZY.

After those pregnancies, I never lost the weight and my periods were irregular, but I didn't know Then, when concieving number 3, we struggled for 19 months and I realized I wasn't ovulating. Went to an endo, who diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on met and a low carb diet. 6 months later (and 35 pounds lighter) we were pregnant with #3, a girl. Funny enough, I LOST weight my entire pregnancy with my daughter, eating the same way I did before, and was able to lose weight easily right after her birth (those darn hormones again, apparently my body LIKED the girl hormones), but eventually it stabilized and I went back to gaining/unable to lose.

I since have taken the met without the low carb diet, and it doesn't help me lose weight on it's own, so I think it was more the low carb and the weight loss that helped me concieve my daughter, than it was the met. Good luck!