New here, curious about alochol

Options
so, im 22 years old and realistically im not going to give up alcohol altogether (although i went from 3-4 nights to only 1 night of partying) and after doing some research it says that wine is alright, as well as tequilla. it also says that vodka that is distilled from fruit would be ok too.

any suggestions, advice, favorite products/brands?

wine makes me feel super loopy and i can barely form a sentence so its not my first choice but i can adapt :)

Replies

• Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Alcohol makes you get fat. It happened to me even I am on Primal/Paleo for years.

Christmas break, I drank few beers and I gained 10 lbs. I am in struggle to lose it. I drank Whiskey, Scotch, Jagisermester, and lager beers.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    In the past few years, every time I've fallen off the wagon of ANY diet (especially one where I'm limiting carbs and refined sugars), it was alcohol that started the fall.

IMO, Primal/Paleo isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Many people, myself included, have special treats they imbide. For me, I refuse to give up my daily coffee w/creamer (for now). Others choose wine or something else.

If you want to keep alcohol, keep it, but don't be surprised if it makes you slide. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, thus resulting in decisions you wouldn't normally make.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yep, I went off alcohol for 3 weeks in december , lost 6 pounds...back to drinking at christmas , gained it back...I'm done with alcohol for a while...Ya its nice to have a drink, but gaining the weight and lack of losing, pisses me off too much lol
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    ....Doesn't make me get fat, never has. I'll continue to have my chardonnay and not get fat! My advice is see how you react to it, do the pros outweigh the cons? And base your personal decision from there.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    See how you do without it and then decide from there. I know I feel better and lose the bloat when I don't drink, but I do enjoy the occasional wine or drink out with friends. Alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes it more likely you'll make poor food choices.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    Iv already lost +40lbs and I never gave up alcohol, cut back yes, but realistically I'm going to go out and party with my friends so I was more so asking for suggestions of better brands or types not so much a alcohol haters club.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an alcohol hater... I belong to a wine club in fact. Brands aren't really gonna matter. If you like more expensive stuff, go for it, if you like mid shelf stuff, have at it. I avoid flavored vodkas and rums, and any crappy mixers of course (sodas, juices since they're not going to be 100% juice, etc). I personally like whisky and tequila. Apparently mezcal is popular among paleo eaters (so I've heard) but I've never seen it anywhere
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have heard the Angry Orchard hard cider aren't too bad - a lot of natural sugar but the traditional dry variety is the best for that.
    I'd like to know more about this fruit distilled vodka!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like others said... when you drink alcohol, it's not Paleo so consider it your treat. If you're gluten sensitive.. avoid beers unless you get a GF one.

This is the "official" Paleo drink: NorCal Margarita... invented by Robb Wolf (so he says)

2 shots (4 oz) of top shelf Tequila
    juice of one lime
    club soda
    ice

But remember, as Mel Joulwan of www.theclothesmakethegirl.com says... "First you have a drink, then your drink has a drink, then your drink is ordering cheese fries."

You can do the exact same drink as above without the tequila, throw in a few olives, and everyone will think you're drinking booze.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I typically will drink a few glasses of Merlot, and do a few shots of tequila with friends. I don't do it every weekend, maybe more like once a month, so my tolerance is low. I no longer drink beer but I do like those Angry Orchard Ciders once in a while.

Also, if you're gonna eat, do it before you drink and that way you're less inclined to eat empty-carb bar food.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is Stoli and soda water with a few limes....
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually drink once a week. I stick to straight alcohol as it has no sugar and it's usually Wild Turkey or Vodka. I know it's not technically primal/paleo at all but I mix it with coke zero. It hasn't affect my weight loss in a negative way as yet
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I typically will drink a few glasses of Merlot, and do a few shots of tequila with friends. I don't do it every weekend, maybe more like once a month, so my tolerance is low. I no longer drink beer but I do like those Angry Orchard Ciders once in a while.

Also, if you're gonna eat, do it before you drink and that way you're less inclined to eat empty-carb bar food.

I'll remember that if we ever finally get to hang together. I never drink anymore, so when I do, one wine hits me hard. Two wines and I'm dancing on tables. Add tequila? Puking in the bushes.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    I rarely eat when I drink, it's the day after I usually slip but I am going to plan and have yummy food ready for my next day hangover
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat when I drink, it's the day after I usually slip but I am going to plan and have yummy food ready for my next day hangover

To be straightforward with you. If you plan to drink and you gotta to expect to gain weight at some point. No one could drink alcohol and lose weight, unless he/she don't eat anything for most of the day and it is less than 1k calories.

Alcohol has a huge amount of calories in it, so you gotta play with the calories math to keep it under 3k calories in order to maintenance your weight. For example, 4 oz of Whiskey/Jagerimester is about 250 to 300 calories. If you want to get buzz then don't eat anything for the day and drink, you'll lose weight but you could black out easily. I could tell from your comments that you are a very social lady and you drink to the point where you have a good buzz to loosen yourself up with someone (not in the bed thing but in the conversation with someone) is understandable in your age and in the area where you live at.

I am not an alcohol hater club. I love alcohol but it messed me up during the Christmas break, which I want to share with you from my own experience. My blood is Czech and the Czech people are #1 drinker in the world (google if you want to know the fact), therefore I know what I am talking about.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    While I feel alcohol has probably slowed down my weight loss, I love wine, and "get-togethers" with friends and family generally include sharing a few drinks as well as laughs--so it's just not something I'm going to give up completely. I try to not have more than a few, and try keep it on the special occasions and random weekends.

I generally stick to dry wines, usually red in winter and white in the summer. I can't handle straight tequila, and I almost never drink it... although the margarita recipe posted earlier looks interesting. My husband and I sometimes drink "Sobieski" brand vodka... it's gluten free, and as far as I know distilled only from potatoes--many vodkas actually contain wheat. That mixed with some club soda and a lemon or lime wedge seems pretty safe for me, or at least the lesser of evils.

I used to drink beer sometimes before I started eating primal, and now it makes me feel horrible... like 2 beers equals 3 days of upset stomach... not worth it. I've tried that cider someone else mentioned, and it's tasty, but I thought it was very very sweet. I hope that helps!