exercise?

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Anyone find they were too weak and lightheaded to exercise during induction?

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    At first, yes. I didn't even start trying to get any exercise until well into my second week of induction--for that reason. If you're going to stick with Atkin's, I would suggest giving it at least 2 weeks before trying to add in exercise. You'll feel great soon!
  • vickiwo55
    Options
    Yes! I'm on day 3 of induction and feeling a bit dizzy. I did p90x early this morning, but I definately didn't put forth full effort!
  • heather_c_73
    heather_c_73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am doing Atkins, P90X Lean and hitting the elliptical in the mornings... LOVING the exercise.... and yes, I almost fell out one day. So, around 3 - 3:30, I have an Atkins Day Break Cranberry Almond Bar, then head home at 5. It's made a difference for me!
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do boot camp M/W/F and spin class T/TH and yoga on the weekends. I am definitely feeling weaker during induction. I can't lift as heavy dumbells in bootcamp and I'm feeling it in my leg muscles on the hills in spin class.

It can be both a good and bad sign.

Good because it means you are in ketosis. You are so low carb that your body is using fat instead of carb to create the glucose that fuels the brain and body. (You probably also have zero hunger/cravings, that's another sign.)

But working out requires more glucose to fuel the body, and you don't want to be in a state of gluconeogenisis where your body is pulling from muscle to make glucose. So, a trick I heard is to eat a tsp of coconut oil before your workout. It's pure fat (and fat is good when you are on induction). The fat is immediately available to the body to make glucose for your workout.

It actually tastes good in a smoothie and adds creaminess. But I don't eat before my workout, so I just stir a half tsp into my coffee. It works!

If you don't like the taste of coconut there are brands that are tasteless.
  • TheFrugalBatavian
    Options
    I am not working out yet this time around, but ya definitely last time a few years ago I felt weaker. After a weak or two, I was able to not feel so weak. I just made sure to eat a little bit more fat and protein, and "snacked" a bit more even if I was not hungry.
  • DragonzMom
    DragonzMom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of Induction for me but have been successful in the past with Atkins & never felt deprived like low calorie diets. Excited to find this group! Net 20 carbs....here I come!

Question: do any of you stick to a calorie range (ex: 1500?) and/or incorporate more calories after exercise to ensure you are eating enough? I walked 3 miles this morning, but haven't really added any extra calories to my day.