I was super unbalanced and the bar felt
wobbly. Is this normal, or does it mean I'm
not ready for SL?

Any tips would be great. (:

Replies

• sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You can start with less than the Olympic bar. Lots of gyms have preloaded bars from 10 to 60ish pounds, either straight bars or EZ curl. Look for those.

As for balance, I will say that I got a pair of Converse lo tops and they have been a huge improvement over wearing running shoes or cross trainers to lift.

Have you read Starting Strength? It has a great diagram of how you want to balance yourself. You want to keep the bar balanced right over the middle of your feet.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    when I see people unbalanced while squatting, it tends to be because they are putting their weight too far forward onto the balls of their feet.

So, a few things to try - 1 is just widen your stance a little. or a lot. That can help. The second is to get a lowish chair, bench or box and put it a little ways behind you (not SUPER low or anything) and then squat down so your butt settles down against the edge of the chair. Its called a box squat, you can look it up -it teaches you to sit BACK into your squat (it overexagerrates it a little bit but I've heard its a good way to learn).

Try the stance first though - but otherwise, yeah, being unbalanced isn't normal, but its not because you aren't 'ready' or 'strong enough' - it just means you need to figure out how to distribute your weight.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Shoes with softer soles, or like running shoes that have a lot of cushion in the heel, make it nearly impossible to feel steady enough. try a hard soled shoe, or at least go barefoot and see how that feels.
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I had this problem it was because I was wearing running shoes with support in the heel that pushed me ever so slightly on to the balls of my feet. I started wearing flat shoes and added about 60 lbs to my squat in one day. It was all in the footwear. I was also just squatting downward and not sitting back into the squat. I have to think of it as a hip movement to get my form right.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    that happens to me sometimes, and 2-3x i would double check my weights and everything was fine. so i think i'm just crazy.

it only happens with the first rep, after that everything feels normal.

though these comments about footwear have me wondering. maybe i should try doing squats barefoot.

i love doing my warm ups with just the bar, it gets me into the proper form without too much weight.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips, I'm wearing running shoes so that's probably the problem.
    I heard that converse are good, but I guess I didn't think it would make that big of a
    difference. I'll pick some up and try again! I'm pretty sure LA Fitness wouldn't want
    me to take off my shoes, haha.

Thanks guys. (:
  • sarahz5
    Options
    You'd be surprised. I did it barefoot a few times before getting my Converse and no one even blinked.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised. I did it barefoot a few times before getting my Converse and no one even blinked.

I may try that tomorrow then. I have been practicing my form barefoot at home so maybe that will help. (:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Really good advice from Tameko!

I have major trouble with my balance, even before I started lifting weights—I always have been wobbly no matter what I'm doing. So I felt really unbalanced when I started squatting too. It gets better if you keep practicing, and take some of the suggestions here!

Also what helps me is to just rock a little back and forth on my ball and heel when I unrack the bar and step back. Just to feel where I'm at and get my feet planted well before I start going down. I also always do one warm-up set if I can.... when I was just doing the bar, I would do a set or two with no weight. Now that I have some weight on the bar, I do a warm-up set with just the bar.

Have you tried squatting without any weight with a box or something behind you? I did that a bunch with the edge of my bathtub at home when I first started.

Keep trying! You'll get better!! :)
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but it is somewhat related to balance. Last night I did the OHP with 35 lb bar (that looks like dumbells on a long rod) and I kept leaning back slightly to avoid hitting my face with the bar. Am I doing this correctly?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but it is somewhat related to balance. Last night I did the OHP with 35 lb bar (that looks like dumbells on a long rod) and I kept leaning back slightly to avoid hitting my face with the bar. Am I doing this correctly?

it shouldn't be your whole body leaning, it should be just moving your head out of the way. I find I do best if I arch my back and hold a lot of air in my chest - that more or less moves my head mostly out of the way and all you have to do is move your head a tiny bit. Watch some people OTHER than the rippetoe people do these. I found it more beneficial to see people wearing tight clothes do it, as well as larger/stockier people, Also I like watching Medhi lift.
  • sarahz5
    Options
    I'm so glad I came back to this thread, because I have been cracking up at myself feeling like I was going to hit my head with the bar. Glad to hear I'm not alone and I'm dealing with it correctly.