Ground Deer Meat

Options
So I have a hunter friend who has passed some ground deer meat on to me. I cook it up and notice a ton of fat?? I ask my friend if he added some kind of fat to it and he tells me he doesn't know. So down about it at this point. How do you account for something if you don't know what is in it?? Anyone know what the common practice of a butcher is with ground deer meat??

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    They often add pork to ground venison in order to give it some fat content.
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In my area they usually add pork fat to the ground deer to give it more of a 'hamburger' consistancy.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    my butcher adds 10% pork fat, otherwise deer and elk meat is way too lean and won't stick together (you absolutely do NOT eat deer fat, it ruins the meat)
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yup you gotta add pork fat into the deer meat. Otherwise it will be very dry!
  • sasu27
    sasu27 Posts: 51
    Options
    When we grind our own deer, we add 70/30 ground beef usually about 10% beef to 90% deer. When we have it processed you can have suet, bacon fat, beef or pork added to it around here. Usually all at about 10% fat. When I cook up my deer have a ton of fat, so your's may contain more.