What is "TDEE diet break week"

Options
Kuritaki1
Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
I am still learning about Metabolic reset thing. Please someone explain to me? I understand you are suppose to eat TDEE cal for about 8 weeks as increase weight training. Then lower 15 percent of TDEE. Is it correct? How long we suppose to do lower 15 percent? and when do I need to do TDEE diet break week?

Replies

• Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    From what I understand if you are doing a reset you should eat at TDEE for at least 8 weeks but the time frame is different for each individual. I do understand some people will eat extra calories on lifting days. I think its between 100 - 200 calories but that again is individual preference. Also most people recomend a diet break every 6-8 weeks. And that is when youneat at TDEE for a week or so. I would say read all of the stickies. There is alot of great info them.
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am still learning about Metabolic reset thing. Please someone explain to me? I understand you are suppose to eat TDEE cal for about 8 weeks as increase weight training. Then lower 15 percent of TDEE. Is it correct? How long we suppose to do lower 15 percent? and when do I need to do TDEE diet break week?

You can also take care of 2 birds with 1 stone.

Every 6-8 weeks take an exercise break, but eat at the same TDEE deficit amount. Which is likely close to your non-exercise TDEE anyway.

Not only the diet break then, but also a full recovery week from exercise.

Usually you don't recognize how un-recovered you were until you take the exercise break and come back stronger.

So body rest from exercise, and stress rest from diet.
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    I have never done exercise break,,,. I even did exercise during my summer vacation (and gained weight ). But I guess I can try. Can I do stretch and yoga type of thing during break? or should I do complete nothing,,,.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have never done exercise break,,,. I even did exercise during my summer vacation (and gained weight ). But I guess I can try. Can I do stretch and yoga type of thing during break? or should I do complete nothing,,,.

Casual walking and yoga is fine. You just want to stop putting a load on your system for a bit.

Might measure your morning resting HR before you get up too at beginning and end. If it goes down, you were stressed going the wrong direction.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Every 6-8 weeks take an exercise break, but eat at the same TDEE deficit amount. Which is likely close to your non-exercise TDEE anyway.

Usually you don't recognize how un-recovered you were until you take the exercise break and come back stronger.

Eat at your non exercise TDEE or at your exercise TDEE? I don't know that I am reading the above properly.
  • heybales
    Options

Eat at your non exercise TDEE or at your exercise TDEE? I don't know that I am reading the above properly.

Your normal exercise TDEE with deficit - so what you have been eating all along.

Personally though, I prefer to separate the two.

So on exercise break week, eat at for me Sedentary TDEE with deficit.

Then some other time, during a normal exercise week, eat at my normal exercise TDEE with no deficit.
    Because really, what better time to get extra calories compared to normal diet than when you are working out and your body can really make great use of them.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I take an exercise break every 6 weeks or so. I just need it and I've come back more rested, less sore, and much stronger. I sometimes walk or go out dancing with friends during that week, otherwise it really is a break. I eat my full TDEE (the higher one with exercise factored in) during this week. Basically I don't change my eating habits for week, but I do change my exercise habits for that week.

And I'm at maintenance now, so I'm eating TDEE for 3-5 hours of exercise a week.