How do you keep yourself motivated?

nikkik8806
nikkik8806 Posts: 25 Member
Seriously, I need to stick with this program! I'm going on vacation in 89 days (yeah... counting down!) . So I need to stay on track but one way or another I always get derailed. What do you all do to keep yourselves motivated?

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    As soon as my alarm goes off I think to myself "WWJD?" as in What would Jillian do? I make myself get up and workout before I can change my mind. After I am done I feel SO much better! You can do this!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    I finished the program a few months ago and never missed a day. I have to admit that I was only motivated about half the time though. the rest of it was routine and consistancy, I looked at it then and still look at just like I do brushing my teeth. No way I would skip that! Same concept really since it is just a way to maintain your health.

I know it sounds simple, but it was hard for me to wrap my head around how little motivation helps. Once I did this all became a LOT easier. Good luck! I bet you will LOVE the results!
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    I don't always feel motivated either but I treat my workouts like a daily appointment. On days I didn't feel like working out I thought of it like going to work and doing taxes. I may not be in the mood but I have to do it anyway. With that consistency exercise became routine and now it's a just a part of my day.
  • patticarbjunkie
    patticarbjunkie Posts: 133 Member
    I have 59 days to my vacation and that is what keeps me motivated. I have to agree with WWJD, it is only 30 minutes and I can do that!! Keep picturing yourself in your bathing suit after doing 90 DBR and then picture yourself in a bathing suit after NOT doing 90 DBR! Good luck!! You can do it!!!!!
  • I wished this has been posted YESTERDAY. I couldn't pry myself out of bed at 5:30 to get my AM workout in (I do think my body is fighting off a bug that everyone around me seems to have). I have at least not managed to talk myself out of doing it at night. And now I won't be able to.

I found it easiest (except for this morning of course...) to find a routine that works. I didn't think waking up so early would work for me - but it actually does. I can't use late nights at the office as an excuse to not spend 30 minutes with Jillian.

Plus- the one guy in the back who never has his shirt on is pretty hot. I don't even know what his face looks like - I just stare at his abs and that is all the motivation I need.
  • vee1217
    vee1217 Posts: 13 Member
    I am almost finished with the entire program(phase 3 week 10). I do my workouts as soon as I get home from work. I change right into my sports bra/shorts and start doing it. If I even sit on the couch for a minute or do anything other than workout right when I get home I find myself second guessing.
    I've tried P90x and other programs but have not completed them(I think mostly because the workouts were so long and if I couldn't do the entire thing I would get frustrated). But these being between 30-35 minutes start to finish helps. I also like how the people in the video are sweating and Jillian seems to 'know' when I'm thinking "Ugh I wanna turn this off" and she will say something to get my head back in the game.Some days are so tough (they still are-even this far into the program). I've missed one day but I doubled up the next to get back on track.
    I think getting into a routine has helped the most and I do it even when I don't want to. When you finish up you will feel proud you did it-especially on days when you really realllly dont' want to!
    I also take photos once a week and seeing the physical changes makes it all worth it and the support of fitnesspal friends doing the program has been amazing for me! It helps to know that I am not the only one struggling through some of them and they motivate me not to quit too when they complete their workouts for the day.
    Best wishes to you. You can do it!!
  • vee1217
    vee1217 Posts: 13 Member
    @erinkelly-the guy in the back does help too ahahah!!!
  • kay4020
    kay4020 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm 2 days away friom finishing phase 1 and getting a kick out of being able to do things that I couldn't do at the start. I found it too difficult to fit the exercise in on a morning as recommended but I have noticed a difference still doing it after work. I try to do it right before I eat so although i'm not running on total empty as I would be on a morning and thereby using my fat reserves I am running on pretty empty!! lol. That way my metabolism is also speeded up whilst I have my evening meal. I think it's just about finding a routine that works for you and remembering your "WHY!" Keep going. xxx
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    I'm 2 days away friom finishing phase 1 and getting a kick out of being able to do things that I couldn't do at the start. I found it too difficult to fit the exercise in on a morning as recommended but I have noticed a difference still doing it after work. I try to do it right before I eat so although i'm not running on total empty as I would be on a morning and thereby using my fat reserves I am running on pretty empty!! lol. That way my metabolism is also speeded up whilst I have my evening meal. I think it's just about finding a routine that works for you and remembering your "WHY!" Keep going. xxx

How much have you lost if you don't mind my asking?
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    for me it was looking what what derails me or makes me quit. is it lack of energy? too sore? busy life? identify your triggers and take steps to reduce the impact. schedule better, recover with better foods, stretch longer...etc.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    also. for me it was about consistency and making it just part of my life. i made sure that i worked out before dinner so that my dinner was always healthy because it was my recovery meal. for the first month of JMBR i wouldnt even go out or do anything "fun" that involved extra calories (bar/food with friends/parties) unless i worked out.
  • kay4020
    I weigh myself tomorrow so will let you know. xx
  • kay4020

• kay4020

I've lost 7lb in the first phase but that is on the back of already losing 8lb in the two weeks before starting so i'm more than happy with that, down to my last 7lb to lose as well now. I have really noticed a change in my strength and muscle tone more importantly though. Keep going. xx