Weight Loss Does Help for Many

Options
I lost 10 lbs of body fat and went from Prilosec to a Tums night.

Replies

• peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that weight loss will work with me too. I'm about 90 lbs overweight and I guess I've had this for a while, but I didn't know it until recently. Now, I realize that what I thought was a normal feeling after eating, isn't. I've been on antibiotics this last week. That's since two days after finding out what was going on. I've made a lot of changes in my diet and didn't realize until today that I probably am still getting acid reflux because of the antibiotics. So, I'm hoping that all the changes I'm making are actually going to be helping me once I get those out of my system. I've started walking and eating smaller meals. Well, until today. I went a little crazy today. But not as crazy as I have in the past. I think I did really well over the Holidays.

How are you all doing?
  • rkleine74
    Options
    I hope it helps. I would like to lose fifty to sixty pounds. I have had digestive problems for some time, but just found out that it's GERD. I will probably have to be on medication for a while, and when I looked up what kinds of foods are bad for the condition, it was, of course, everything I like. So if nothing else, I'll lose weight from dropping the fast food, high fat, high sodium, high calorie foods from my diet. I'm not thrilled about it, but I would rather be healthy.
  • peniculala
    Options
    Oh, I know what you mean! Everything I love, including spices on the no can eat list! I just had the worst reflux I've had since starting to change my diet. I've been so good and I think it's because I coated my tilapia in something that included a bunch of chilli powder. I didn't think that stuff was spicy, really! But, my husband says it is. It also had butter and mayo, but only a little. It was a large fillet so maybe it was a big meal and the spices. Ugh! So not worth it and I have 3 more fillets and no one but me to eat it! It's so yummy too! I really hate having GERD right now! I've lost close to 20 lbs though. So, I'm glad for that part of this. I've been so uncomfortable in my skin for a while because of my weight. So, I am thankful for this inspiration. I just wish I got it another way!
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm not officially diagnosed (no insurance), but a doctor suggested I may have GERD. I've been eating a very bland diet for 2 weeks, and so far my symptoms have improved a lot. I was having severe nausea, sometimes all day, periods of throwing up, etc. Anyway so far I've lost 7 lbs. I'm almost scared to try to introduce new foods. So far I know that tomatoes and carbonation are big triggers, also probably citric acid, onions, and garlic. I hope to get some great advice from you all!
  • peniculala
    Options
    A site that I really like is http://www.gerd-diet.com/. It's pretty straight forward. Also, sleep with a wedge if it's keeping you up at night! Watch out for food allergies. I'm allergic to soy and mildly lactose intolerant and those things can trigger acid reflux in me. Since I started changing my diet, I also realized that I am sensitive to Gluten! Talk about a strange diet! If you want to see my diary to see what I'm eating, just ask to be my friend. I'd be happy to support you that way.
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will definitely check out the site. That's really mainly why I joined MFP, to help keep up with my food intake to try to track any triggers. That's how I figured out citric acid was a culprit. I really like the notes section too, it's great to be able to jot down how I'm feeling each morning. I do need to look into a wedge. So far my nausea has been much improved in the mornings, the only time I noticed a major issue was when I had a late night snack, so now I'm no longer eating 3-4 hours before I go to bed. I sometimes am coughing and burping a few mornings, but no longer the dry heaves or throwing up (sorry if TMI). I also really try not to bend over first thing in the morning, which is sometimes hard bc I'm rushing around helping my little boy get ready for school.
  • rkleine74
    Options
    I have made similar changes, too. It isn't easy, because I love tomatoes and citrus fruits (not to mention fast food!). I have cut out soda of all kinds, tomatoes, citrus, eating after 7 pm, and high fat foods. I feel like all I get to eat is lettuce and chicken. At least I feel better, though!
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting a lot of foods too, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, apples, and a few others I'm sure I'll find as I go along. I get stomach aches all day most days and heartburn at night. I've been woken up in the middle of the night with the pain and often feel very weak and tired from feeling sick all the time. I'd really love some "GERD friends" if anyone is up for a few more fitness pals :)
  • hurdlesrus
    hurdlesrus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jayne,

5 lbs can make a difference for me. I went from surgery, to tums, to Zantec, to Nexeum, back to Zantec, now back to Tums. Actually maybe one at night. My only trigger is Red Wine which is worth a Tums and Tomatoe Sauce.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm taking Tecta, it seams to be working fairly well the past few days. :)
  • peniculala
    Options
    Since this isn't a very active topic and they don't send alerts when people comment, feel free to add me as a friend if you come on here. Just let me know this is what we have in common. :happy: