Legitimate tips and other info

Options
Thought I might make this cause you guys will take it more seriously than the average miscer..

Been using this app off an on for over 2 years. I'm also a health and exercise science major. I've taken nutrition and sports nutrition classes with Dr.s who have decades upon decades of experience.

so you can ask any ?s you want b/c i feel like I'm a decent source of legitimate information backed by STUDIES not juicy ****s online who have sick genetics and do w/e broscience works for them.

#1 tip for this app - USE A SCALE AND WEIGH YOUR FOOD WHENEVER YOU CAN. seriously, reading descriptions in regards to volume it's just too variable. A chopped cup is different than a diced cup is different than a heaping cup.

#2 tip for this app - CROSS REFERENCE FOOD LABELS, ESP. WHEN SCANNING - again user differentiation, some people just input stuff differently/wrong when they create a food so make sure it's right if you have the real label in front of you

Macro tips - don't go overboard on protein. studies show that ELITE athletes need typically 1.2-1.6g of protein per KG of bw. so an 80kg athlete would need about 112 g of protein. That being said, if you only eat 112 that doesn't mean you're good to go. Almost never is that 100% complete, animal protein. A good rule of thumb is ~1 g to 1.5 (max) of protein per pound of total body weight to compensate for all the incomplete protein you get through fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, etc. And in regards to Soy, and a couple other plants - they may be "complete" but some aminos in their profiles are basically trace and almost negligible.

I'm getting tired of typing but carbs post workout are great, but for them to be the "highest" GI rating they'll basically need to be in a solution i.e. your protein shake, or chocolate milk.

Macro split that has been working for me for a recomp is 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat. If I was bulking I'd probably go 45/30/25 and if I was cutting I'd drop the carbs periodically until I hit my goal (performance will suffer depending on how drastic you go).

Obv. lift heavy, I don't take a multi but I do supplement D3 (next big thing in sports nutrition), creatine mono (other stuff is worthless), beta alanine, and fish oil. I drink a whey isolate, casein, dextrose mix shake post workout, and other than that I'm whole foods all the way.

IIFYM is great for when you're eating on the go or convenience or if you just want some snacks or w/e every now and then. Some of my favorite things that fit my macros that have accurate nutrition stats out there are: Jersey Mike's #7, Pei Wei Stock Velvetted chicken with brown rice, or any chipotle burrito bowl (you can build it on the official site online then create the food on here). Chicken sandwiches from almost any fastfood place are also great as long as they're grilled and no sauce (for calories sake).

/ramble

edit: random remembrances - get a lot of fiber, animal fat is not evil, fukc crossfit phaggots

Replies

• hostessfactory
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I figured out a lot of that stuff on my own. If you look at my diary I input the labels of food I eat frequently on my own. My reasoning behind this is I like to weight my stuff in grams and if I input it myself I can set the unit of measure to grams. That way if I eat 223 gram chicken breast I just input it as 223 (1g) serving. I found this to be the most accurate and easiest way for foods I buy in bulk like chicken, broccoli, greek yogurt etc. I just pop the desired amount on the scale and input it. I don't have to worry about matching up with serving sizes.
  • enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with tip #2
  • texan2010
    Options
    Also with people that need help figuring out macros this thread is great if you weren't aware. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • Sullerson
    Sullerson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I do most of them, but didnt know about hight GI carbs post workout.
  • sooner24
    Options
    Also with people that need help figuring out macros this thread is great if you weren't aware. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

there are TONS of studies on the anabolic occurrences associated with drinking chocolate milk post workout. I just prefer to mix my own shake to get more whey in there (milk is something over 70 or 80% casein) and to have a bit more overall protein without having to drink so much fluid.