SL FOR FAT LOSS?

Options
Hi everyone,
i have just joined MFP and i have hearing such amazing reviews about strong lifts that i really want to star asapt. So far i have only been doing cardio( les mills classes,power walking etc) but i am really bored of doing only cardio. I have alot of weight to lose..around 35 pounds and my bf is 32%. So, i was wondering if i will shed my fat loss doing strong lifts.?or is it more more for toning up than actual fat loss?Sld i continue with my cardio. Also pl dont shoot me but what is TDEE?
pl advice..i so desperately want to shed my fat and get into my pre pregnancy clothes
thank u so much
carrie

Replies

• newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

go to that link. It will tell you everything about TDEE you need to know. I am jsut starting SL myself and am not sure how it helps with fat loss but I hate cardio so I'm hoping it helps.
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL for 3 weeks and I've lost 0.5% BF in the last week. No change on the scale. I am a happy girl :bigsmile:
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    BF% loss is a good sign! I wouldn't expect weight loss. I've read others posting that they have gained "weight" but I wouldn't care what my weight is if I'm "ripped!" :laugh:
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    In two weeks my weight has stayed the same but I've lost 1% body fat. And I eat pretty comfortably and don't count calories.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yeah, start lifting! It's awesome. For instance, I dropped 0.5" off each of my hips and seat in 11 days without any change in weight, and my butts looks perky for the first time in, well, ever. (I've got about another 16lbs of fat to go, but I hope to gain up to 7lbs of muscle so my net weight loss is only about 9lbs over the next year to 18 months. That'll put me. on 20% BF instead of 29%)
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm due to measure again next week (only measuring once a month). And I only weigh myself to get a workout weight for Fitocracy!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I started 3 weeks ago, and I've dropped 3 pounds in that time. I am a lot heavier than the other girls, and I have about 65 pounds more to lose. I'm eating at a deficit, which is leading to the weight loss, but I'm hoping that the SL will help me to to retain as much lean body mass as possible (limiting losses to fat not muscle). However, eating at a deficit means that I can't gain muscle beyond newbie gains (I've not seen an amount, but I'm guessing for women that would be a pound). But, I'm fine with that. When I get closer to goal I can deal with trying to build muscle.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL off and on for the past 8 months. I do very little cardio; 3 mile walks when the weather is nice, maybe 20 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical after I finish my SL workout, but other than that the majority of my exercise has been my SL routine. In the past 8 months I have lost roughly 32 inches! So yeah, I'd say it works for fat loss. LOL

My weight when I started SL - 195 pounds
    Today's weight - 169 pounds

My measurements from May...

Waist - 39 inches
    Belly button area - 42 inches
    Hips - 46 inches
    Neck - 15 inches
    Right thigh - 23 inches
    Left thigh - 24 inches
    Right upper arm - 14 inches
    Left upper arm - 14 inches

My measurements from last week...

Waist - 33 inches
    Belly button area - 35 inches
    Hips - 37 inches
    Neck - 13.5
    Right thigh - 21 inches
    Left thigh - 21.5 inches
    Right upper arm - 12 inches
    Left upper arm - 12 inches
  • JBG1987
    Options
    I have been doing SL for 2 weeks along with C25K and I lost 14lbs this month.

SW: 278, CW: 264. My calorie deficit is set at -2lbs a week. My diary is open.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL off and on for the past 8 months. I do very little cardio; 3 mile walks when the weather is nice, maybe 20 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical after I finish my SL workout, but other than that the majority of my exercise has been my SL routine. In the past 8 months I have lost roughly 32 inches! So yeah, I'd say it works for fat loss. LOL

Waist - 39 inches
    Hips - 46 inches
    Neck - 15 inches
    Right thigh - 23 inches
    Left thigh - 24 inches

Waist - 33 inches
    Hips - 37 inches
    Neck - 13.5
    Right thigh - 21 inches
    Left thigh - 21.5 inches

^^ WOW!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Waist - 39 inches
    Hips - 46 inches
    Neck - 15 inches
    Right thigh - 23 inches
    Left thigh - 24 inches

Waist - 33 inches
    Hips - 37 inches
    Neck - 13.5
    Right thigh - 21 inches
    Left thigh - 21.5 inches

^^ WOW!

WOW is right. Congratulations!!! Women.... lift!!!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! :)

One piece of advice...TAKE BEFORE PICTURES!!! I didn't take any when I started and I sooo wish that I had. Most days I don't feel like I've really lost anything, but looking at my measurements, there's no denying it. I just wish I had some before pictures to compare with where I am now. :-/
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JBG1987
    Options
    I have been doing SL for 2 weeks along with C25K and I lost 14lbs this month.

SW: 278, CW: 264. My calorie deficit is set at -2lbs a week. My diary is open.

Update...I've lost 2 inches in a month. Combination of hips, waist and bust.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    January results. I started SL sometime in the first week in January (notebook is in the car).

Januarycomparison_zps7c9db577.jpg

Januarycomparisonside_zps8a6652fe.jpg
  • carrie197618
    carrie197618 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much ladies for your valued advice..u all rock:)
  • Diamondmortiz
    Diamondmortiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BF% loss is a good sign! I wouldn't expect weight loss. I've read others posting that they have gained "weight" but I wouldn't care what my weight is if I'm "ripped!" :laugh:
    Agree with you on this!! :)