Kathy Freston Quantum Wellness Cleanse

Options
Hello! I am new to this group and easing into veganism. In December I started phasing out meats one a time in roughly 2 week chunks. Christmas was a hiccup but I pressed on. I'm in my last couple days of egg-eating before those go away too. Then I plan on cutting milk, cheese, and all dairy after another two weeks. It's just been easier for me to go slowly into it. I have done a good amount of research and reading and own several vegan cookbooks, so I feel pretty well armed. I have decided to do this for both health and moral reasons. Frankly I'd just been feeling too many pangs of guilt eating meat and eating vegan just feels good.

That being said, one of the books I read recently was Kathy Freston's Veganist. I really enjoyed it and found it easy to read and pretty informative. Today I put her book The Quantum Wellness Cleanse on my Kindle. From what I understand,the basic idea is going three weeks without any animal products, alcohol, sugar, or gluten. This appeals to be because it's not the type of cleanse that seems to focus on drinking all your meals which I know would never work for me. I was thinking that if I could read the book in February I could try the cleanse in March.

Have any of you read this book or tried this? I searched on the MFP foums but all the discussions ended up vegan-bashing and talking about how stupid cleanses are and that was just frustrating. Thanks for your input!!

Replies

• BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm open to adding new vegan friends on here to share diaries, stories, and motivation so please add me if you'd like!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't heard of that book before. But I think it sounds like a great idea! I am vegan and mostly gluten free. But I do eat sugar and drink alcohol. Lately I've only been drinking about 1-2 drinks once a week (I used to be a pretty heavy drinker). I feel so much better on my vegan, gluten free diet. I pay for it when I over do it on the gluten or alcohol. I have also cut out a lot of sugar and that feels good too. Does sugar mean refined sugar, or any type of sugar like maple syrup and agave? I think this cleanse sounds totally do-able! I also think it's a good idea that you plan to work your way to being vegan, and the cleanse. I would be interested to hear how it goes!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, the opposition around here to cutting out animal products is based on superstition and fear. There's a lot of research, not the least which includes primate evolutionary history, which indicates that a plant-based diet is very, very good for us (and incidentally, everyone else too!) :happy:

I think the opposition to cleanses is well-intentioned and generally correct (fads and short-term tactics don't work and everyone has tried them). Unless you have an allergy you're trying to suss out, cutting out common allergens won't "cleanse" anything. If you're just trying to shrink your stomach and change your habits, then maybe a short period of restriction is a good way to start, but from where you're starting a vegan diet of mostly whole fruits and vegetables will more than suffice, and it will be more nutritious as long as you stay within your set cals.

The other thing about the proposed plan is that it may lead you to feel deprived. That can lead to binging on that which you're depriving yourself of.

Whatever you choose to do, be sure you're setting yourself up for success.
  • BridgetMiko
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy you're trying to suss out, cutting out common allergens won't "cleanse" anything. If you're just trying to shrink your stomach and change your habits, then maybe a short period of restriction is a good way to start, but from where you're starting a vegan diet of mostly whole fruits and vegetables will more than suffice, and it will be more nutritious as long as you stay within your set cals.

I do see your point on how if I don' t have a gluten sensitivity, then I'm not cleansing anything per se. That's not something I had actually thought of in that particular way. I do have a problem though were pasta is always my go to meal when I want something fast. If nothing else, staying off of stuff like that might teach me some new tricks on eating so I'm not forever carbo-loading. I'm going to read it all first to make sure it still sounds good to me then try to listen to my body.

Thanks for the support guys!!
  • BridgetMiko
    Options
    Well, I haven't heard of that book before. But I think it sounds like a great idea! I am vegan and mostly gluten free. But I do eat sugar and drink alcohol. Lately I've only been drinking about 1-2 drinks once a week (I used to be a pretty heavy drinker). I feel so much better on my vegan, gluten free diet. I pay for it when I over do it on the gluten or alcohol. I have also cut out a lot of sugar and that feels good too. Does sugar mean refined sugar, or any type of sugar like maple syrup and agave? I think this cleanse sounds totally do-able! I also think it's a good idea that you plan to work your way to being vegan, and the cleanse. I would be interested to hear how it goes!

Not not sure on the sugar thing. I need to read up and get all my information straight before I do anything. One would think natural sugars would be OK but we'll see. I also do think not drinking for 3 weeks would be good. I drink just about 2 days a week right now but taking a break could be a good thing. Wish me luck!