Forks over knives problem?

Options
My family has been following the forks over knives diet for about a year now. My husband has a physical every year and last year his cholesterol was good.. This year his bad cholesterol has gone up and his good cholesterol has gone down!?
whats going on?!?!

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    can't know without more information, maybe genetic or lack of exercise or cosuming animal products. One thing for sure, it's not caused by eating whole plant based foods.
  • jdwkdw712
    Options
    Not a lack of exercise at all! We do a daily routine of weights and cardio, and have for a year now. We started that at the same time we started our vegan lifestyle. Only thing that would apply is genetics (which is there.. I know all the men in his family are on meds for it).
    He told the dr that it didnt make any sense because of the fact that we have been vegan for a year now. The dr said that he is doing everything right so there isnt anything he can tell him to do.. He goes back in April for more testing- going into more detail..
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A year isn't that long of a period in which to undo years (decades?) of bad habits and diet (especially if he was also mainly sedentary).

These have cumulative effects which are compounded by genetic factors. Childhood through early 20s nutrition has been found to be critical later in life.

If he has a strong genetic predisposition to high cholesterol (a lot of people in my family would have lived to old age if only they hadn't eaten cheese, eggs, butter, beef and bacon--their bodies just didn't deal well with animal fat), he probably should be on meds *and* remain an active vegan. He could see 90! :smile:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    issues with cholesterol can be hereditary. Going vegan did nothing for my hypertension.
  • Rawvine
    Rawvine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    issues with cholesterol can be hereditary. Going vegan did nothing for my hypertension.

For hypertension Try fresh juiced beet juice for 5 consecutive days it should help...do you have a juicer?