The Weekly Male Stop 2/1/13 - 2/7/13

Options
KevinS62
KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
Hey everyone. How was your week. Mine included a crawfish boil last Saturday, but it was the only day I had above my calorie limit. Plus, I finished off with a couple of LOW calorie days. So, I was a bit excited to step on the scales this morning and was real happy to notice a 5lb loss! :bigsmile: I know I won;t see results like this every week, but it sure feels good.

I had a mini-goal that I made during my first week, that I wanted to get to 230 by Feb 1, and I made it with two lbs to spare. Next milestone is sub-220 by March 1. I need to average 2 lbs per week, so one gain can mess the whole thing up.

Okay guys, time to report in!

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Lowered my calorie limit and hit 189.5 this week!
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Lowered my calorie limit and hit 189.5 this week!

WTG Jeff. I actually changed my settings after another weight loss (staying with -2 lbs per week) and have gone from 1,480, to 1,420 and now I'm at 1,380.

-Kevin
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    I actually gained 0.6 pounds since my last weigh-in. I am not concerned about it because I consistently keep my calories in check and I worked out 4 out of 7 days. However, I did go over my sodium EVERY DAY FOR THE LAST WEEK. I set my sodium to 2,000 mg per day and I was actually closer to 2,500 mg every day. So, I am going to do a better job of keeping my sodium down and see what's what next week.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Good job fitgoal. Watch the per packaged foods will help with the sodium. My friend/neighbor has been watching his sodium for two years like I'm watching my calories. He's 43 and looks like he's 30. Yeah I'm jealous.
  • daleweideman
    daleweideman Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This was a tough week for me. I ate a lot cleaner, drank a lot less wine, exercised almost every day - and ended up almost exactly flat. The scale says down .2 but that is probably within normal variation. I was hungry a lot, really put a lot of energy and attention into the diet, and didn't lose weight. My report for the week shows me averaging under my net calorie target, so it seems I should be losing weight!

I am hoping some of the rest is true: 1) I gained some muscle from working out more, 2) I started some good habits that will pay off over time, and 3) maybe since I started going so much lower carb I won't be so hungry. I've been down around 70 grams carbs the past few days, and that includes lots of veggies with their fiber so probably even lower net carbs. And my buddy -- who lost a lot of weight going low carb -- said that when he doesn't eat carbs, he really doesn't get hungry, even though he isn't eating that much.

I'm not giving up. I'm going to double down. Keep eating clean, cut down on the portion size, keep exercising. Tomorrow will be tough at the Super Bowl party, but I'll bring lots of celery sticks. Have a great week guys, and Go Niners!
  • forgage
    forgage Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been doing carb nite for 24 days last night was my carb flush ate about 5000 calorie night. During the week I keep my carbs down to 30 g per day and protein intake to around 300 g. I have lost about 6 lbs but the biggest loss has been 1.5 % body fat. I dont believe in low calorie diets I eat around 3000 cals and lift heavy. We are Men not dainty little ladies. When you eat under your BMR (basal metabolic rate), you risk your body going into starvation mode. While you will lose scale weight very quickly, you will probably also lose muscle, which in turn will lower your BMR so that as time progresses, your body will burn fewer and fewer calories in an attempt to survive. Your body does not care that you want to lose weight, it cares about survival. THe best bet for loing term weight loss is to eat at a small deficit. There are many calculators for figuring this out all over the internet, but one good one that I usually go to is found at :
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    VERY IMPORTANT TO PUT IN YOUR CORRECT ACTIVITY LEVEL. In other words if you work out 5-6 days a week you are not sedentary. Duh.
    This is an article which explains why eating less and exercising more is not a good plan.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/why-eating-less-and-exercising-more-can-backfire/

Unfortunately there is so much bad information out there. Do your research. Knowledge is power. Dont accept everything you read on MFP.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    I'm pleased to anounce that a day after the Super Bowl, any damage I did is gone. Three days to my weekly weigh-in and unless I go overboard, I should be able to mark my fifth consecutive loss.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Three days to my weekly weigh-in and unless I go overboard, I should be able to mark my fifth consecutive loss.

And to celebrate, I think I need to swap out my profile pic with a new one. I haven't measured since my first week, but I'm sure I lost a couple inches from the beach ball gut.