what is the difference

Options
TDEE - 20% and eat 1950 cals and not eat exercise calories...
versus
MFP 1500 calories + and eat my exercise calories over 400 exercise calories burned

at the end of the day the amount eaten is the exact same

Replies

• jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    I hope someone with more experience gives the real difference.

The difference for me was that I had a hard time eating all of my exercise calories the day I burned them. It is easier for me to eat the same amount of calories on workout days and rest days.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of people they don't have the right activity level set. But I would imagine the days you maybe don't exercise would mean for a lot of people your probably wouldn't be eating your bmr?

Personally for me if I ate at their settings but didn't exercise like yesterday my goal would be 1530 of 1830( that is with a small deficit included) if its at extremely active..... but according to my fitbit I received an extra 780 cals due to my daily activity so of course I ate them. Just my 2cents. So if I stuck to the 1539or 1830 I would be hungry and feel bad for going over when in reality it would be totally fine.

I agree with jbnl too.

Good luck
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies...I might say TDEE-20% in 6 weeks I gained 6 pounds and MFP eating exercise calories in one week lost 1 pound and I exercise every day :drinker:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies...I might say TDEE-20% in 6 weeks I gained 6 pounds and MFP eating exercise calories in one week lost 1 pound and I exercise every day :drinker:
    If at the end of the day you are eating the same, then how can you say you lost on one and not the other?
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If at the end of the day you are eating the same, then how can you say you lost on one and not the other?

OP, I have wondered what the difference is myself. So this is something I'd like to know too?
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Cosign.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    To Toxic tinker

that is why I am asking the question...if these are the same...I guess its better to eat MFP + exercise to total at end of day NET=BMR
  • DianaV86
    DianaV86 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Did you find you were actually working out less when you had your calorie goal set higher? I've noticed that with myself.

I'm thinking of changing my goal to 1,600 and eating back my exercise calories to NET no more than 1,800 cal for the day (my TDEE -20%) and NET no less than 1,500. Except on lifting days and my rest day...I'll eat 1,800 cal on those days since I don't wear my HRM.

For me, it's all a mental game. I enjoy working out but I'm finding that with my goal set at 1,800 and eating that "whether I exercise or not" and tracking 1 calorie burned makes me not so motivated to exercise after a long day of working. Personally, if I lower my goal to 1,600 (which is still over my BMR) and then need to exercise in order to eat more...then I will definitely workout because I like to eat a lot!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I've tried both and found I had better luck just setting my daily goal at TDEE-20% plus adding some extra calories on big workout days. I thought it would be more accurate to eat back exercise calories because I was using my HRM as opposed to an activity level estimate but I think overall I ended up eating more when I was eating back my exercise calories and was closer to maintenance level which resulted in no loss for ages! My active days at the time were very active resulting in eating way over my TDEE estimate and once rest days were added in it just seemed to sort of level out that way. If your workouts more consistently give you the same numbers perhaps you would have better luck than me!

You also have to keep in mind that for most of this we are relying on numbers that are based on estimates of what is considered normal, but if I recall correctly only something like 30% fall into what that normal category is actually based on. So ultimately I guess it depends on the person. If you like one approach better than the other or you do better with one over the other stick with it, you have to keep tweaking this until you find what's right for you.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    For me, I think I tended to over estimate the calories I burned with exercise. By averaging out my calories ( tdee -20%) I seem to be exercising more to make sure I do enough. As someone said, it's all in the mind. 1600 calories is 1600 calories however you add it, so do what works for you.