Help Needed - What can I tweak?

Options
menziest
menziest Posts: 1 Member
Hi

Looking for some feedback and suggestions. I started Paleo on the 1st Jan, and apart from 2 slices wholewheat toast, I have been pretty much 100% Paleo....low carbs, high fat, high protien. No chocolate, potato, pasta, rice, bread (exception above), no sugar/sweetners, no diary, no peanuts, beans, red wine only one night, limited fruit.

Paleo was an easy transition for me, except chocolate...most of my carb intake before paleo, was probably my choc fix every night. But I have not had choc since Jan 1st.

I have a body media monitor, and have calculated my TDEE, BMI, BFP...all those numbers.

Body media says I am getting an average of 8 hours sleep per day.

My first two weeks I lost 5lb.....pretty average for me when I get on board with any food plan (especially after the excess of xmas). Last 3 weeks I have weighted the same. 178lb. Obviously I have weight to lose (I am 5'3'')

My average calorie intake for the last two weeks is 1345 calories (up from ~1200)....Should this be higher?....TDEE-30% =1554...would ~200 cals per day make a big difference? I am reluctant to increase when 1345 is just maintaining my weight....

I work out 5 days a week, a combo of cardio, yoga and weights...Body Media puts my daily average physical activity at 1.37 hours/mins per day.

Some additional background...I lost 100lb and have kept it off for about 8 years, but it is slowly creeping up, the last two years...up 20lb. I was 260lb when I started. I have exercised pretty consistently since I started this journey...completed 2 full marathons, 6 half marathons, Seattle to Portland bike ride of 204 miles.....

I have opened my diary, I am open to feedback on my eating...and any other suggestions of what I can do.

Thanks

Replies

• tkgraham
    Options
    I'm looking forward to hearing other responses because I'm on Day 18 of a Whole30 and at first lost 10 pounds but nothing for a whole week. Mi know I'm not supposed to weigh...can't help it.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If 1554 really is a 30% deficit for you then 1345 is not maintaining your fat mass, you are burning fat, and have been, it just isn't reflected on the scale yet.

Read this article

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Also, your diet looks great, I'm happy you are decreasing your risk of cancer and disease by eating a diet we are well adapted to consuming.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The thought on Paleo/primal numbers are a little different. I thought I was doing what I was supposed to until I came here. Since coming here, I have lowered my carbs to 50 (although I tend to average about 75), my protein set at 100 and the rest in fat. I don't worry about my calories. It wasn't until I adjusted down to these numbers that I started dropping weight quickly and consistently.

This was in another post (re carbs):

25-50 g Ketosis
    50-100 g weight loss sweet spot
    100-150 g effortless weight maintenance
    150-up insidious weight gain
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Given your activity level, I would certainly raise your calories. They seem way too low. Rule of thumb is 10-12 times your weight in calories as a starting point. So, at 178lb your calorie intake should be up around the 1780-2136 calorie mark, depending on activity level.

Coach Calorie does some great posts about this issue :
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-many-calories/

I stay towards the lower end of that scale as I have a desk job, but tend to increase my calorie intake on gym days to fuel my workouts and replenish my glycogen levels post workout. I'm rarely hungry between meals due to the higher fat intake when primal. Enjoy your bacon!!!