PROBIOTICS

Options
jennaworksout
jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
Is it ok to take probiotics being Paleo? My guts are all out of whack....did some research and my intestine bacteria is all out of whack...looking into Align , would that be ok? Its been ever since I ate nutritional yeast....and now I found out some people cannot tolerate it, and ever since I ate it my digestive system has been really bad :sad:

Replies

• sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've never looked at the ingredients to see what is in Align, but I do drink Kombucha and Water Kefir, both of which are probiotics and are okay while on Paleo/Primal. Fermented food and drinks are wonderful if you are able to tolerate them.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    probiotics are totally fine as they help to balance your gut flora.I also take digestive enzymes as do a lot of people on primal/paleo.
    also,fermented foods like kimchi are great.here is a paleo recipe page for fermented foods http://paleodietlifestyle.com/fermented-food-recipes/
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Great! thanks...my flora is defeintely gone bad...going to get some at lunch, hope it starts to workfast...probably keep it up forever just to feel better, I think I may have IBS or leaky gut for sure. :grumble:
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic also, no special brand just the stuff from our local health food store. My stomache/digetive system is so screwed up from celiac/other intolerances that I need all the help I can get.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    They're generally encouraged in paleo. More often things like kefir and sauerkraut than pill-type things, though.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    i thought kefir was dairy?? hmmmmmm may have to look into that
  • MVH26
    MVH26 Posts: 13
    Options
    When first started going on paleo, I was told to take fish oil, a probiotic, and Vitamin C & D.

Centrum makes a probiotic that you can sprinkle into your water or on your food. It has NO taste, and Its what I use.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    you can buy water grains to start kefir.there is a great website that sells them called upaya and they are in Toronto.Other places sell a powder for water grains,apparently not as effective.There is also a site that has people who will send you out starter grains for free or just for the cost of postage. http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/kefir/kefirlistCanada.php
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    UPDATE: Well I started Align probiotics 3.5 weeks ago, and the first week was still a bit tough with some issues ( and they say it takes about 1 weeks to kick in) but after the first week, I am feeling AMAZING!!!! all my bloating, gas pains, and other issues are gone!!! I feel normal again...I have read alot of negative reviews on this product, but I love it, it worked wonders forme, a little pricey at $40 every 4 weeks, but so worth it, so glad I tried it :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had to get a probiotic. After 9 months of being very low carb apparently I starved out all the good flora in my gut. I bought Allergen Free-Jarro-Dophilus VegiCaps because it is the only one I found that didn't use soy for the capsules and is dairy free. It's a decent price too.