Cold Weather Running Gear

Options
I started running in the winter of 2011 and I love to run in the cold, but I just cannot nail down what I should be wearing. I have a great head band thing that keeps my ears warm, but other than that I am freezing during my warm-up and first mile-mile and a half... then I start sweating and feel like I'm soaking wet (and therefore very cold). I obviously need some help. What do you wear when you run in the cold? I'd like to keep it relatively affordable and love Target's C9 line- affordable and good quality- but I just have no idea what I should be buying...

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Have you got a long sleeved base layer? I usually wear that, either a short sleeved top or vest, coat, leggings, beanie and some gloves. Make sure you get sweat wicking clothing as you wont feel so soaked. This way I can remove layers if I get too cold. I am always cold when i first start but by the end of the run I usually want to take my coat off as I am too hot.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    The first layer needs to be moisture wicking. I have long sleeve tops that are different thicknesses, the colder it is the thicker the top but they are still all moisture wicking. I also have two different jackets to go over the tops again depending on how cold it is. I have some of Target's C9 line and it works great. You can also try looking online for stuff. One website I like is runningwarehouse.com they usually sell stuff below cost or if you like a particular brand go to their website and check out the sale section. I can usually get good deals off season. I just got some running skirts and tank tops for a good price.

One thing you do want to remember is that you should be chilly when you leave the house, if your are comfortable or warm you are overdressed. You shouldn't still be freezing 1 1/2 miles into your run though.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Just got back from light snow in the air and on the ground and just below zero with the wind. Agree with what all have said so far. Two other tips: I use a balm from a ski shop on my cheeks, nose, etc. and this helps. And I also do layers on my hands. At today's temps it is wind mitts over my gloves
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love to run in the cold too ( and I also do several other outdoor winter sports) First rule is layers. second is synthetic wicking materials, No cotton, Quality wicking clothes can be expensive but in my experience you get what you pay for. Lastly I would wear more than just a headband, as you can lose A LOT of heat from your head. I would get a good hat or balaclava. With some good gear I think winter running is the best, enjoy!
  • dfquigley
    Options
    Yep

Technical baselayer, breathable outer layers, full on toque, or if it's cold enough a baclava, and gloves.

I find I can wear cotton gloves til it gets pretty darn cold :p easy to take off if it's not too cold and you start to heat up.
  • linddavis
    Options
    Def. technical layers. bra, tank, long sleeve tech, outerwear/ shell
    cold weather tights - I have underarmour. I use handwarmers when it's really cold, then stick them
    in my pockrets when I'm sweating :) My training partner puts them in her shoes?! That would
    seem uncomfortable to me... I find headbands better than a hat (too hot).
    I love to be out in the snow!! it's fun.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    that all depends on the degree of cold :smile: layers are the all important factor my habitual upgrades are usually:

0C to -10C: Running leggings, long sleeve wicking shirt, running jacket (but not necessarily my winter one) thin running gloves and headband.

-11C to -20C: Thermal running leggings, long sleeve wicking shirt, winter running jacket, running beanie, running gloves (with optional extra pair of mittens to start the run that I then tuck into my water belt when hands get too hot)

-21C to -35C: merino wool long johns, thermal running leggings, long sleeve wicking shirt, tank top for extra core warmth, wind proof winter running jacket (thin), fleecy running jacket, running beanie, face mask, running gloves, extra mittens, possibly also carrying chemical hand warmers.

below -35C: treadmill at the gym.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of compression leggings from Old Navy. They're fairly thick and don't cost a ton.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Been running in as low as "feels like" 2 degrees (with wind chill.)

Here is what I wear from toe to head (not counting shoes!):
    compression socks
    cw-x insulator running tights
    mittens
    sports bra
    underarmour heatgear shirt
    smart wool 3/4 zip
    north face flash dry blaze jacket (currently on sale!)
    neck gaiter (pulls up over my mouth and nose)
    Aerial7 sound disc beanie

Last Monday I ran 22mi in freezing rain, which was an experience! I did not wear the neck gaiter and substituted the blaze jacket for the north face sonora jacket. I bought it on super duper sale last year and I can't say enough great things about it in the rain. It is a goretex pro shell and is like running in a breathable tent. Pit zips extend from just above the elbow to about 8 inches below the armpit. The hood has a visor and fit great over my wicking hat. It was a little tight over my hydration vest (Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab 5 Set Hydration Pack- say that 5 times fast!) but not restrictive, and the shell has a slight stretch to it, so once I zipped it up, I didn't notice it again. If you plan to run in rain/freezing rain and can get your hands on a Gore Tex Pro Shell, there's nothing better. (I think this year's version is called the "zero" jacket.

Ok, so these options are not inexpensive, but I would try them on in stores and then look on eBay or 6pm.com (the zappos discount site.) Bear in mind that if you buy something you can wear for years, the cost per wear drops considerably....

Edit: North face products carry a lifetime warranty, so though they are expensive at first, they will truly last a lifetime!
  • jacquiroxx922
    jacquiroxx922 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow. You guys are amazing and SO helpful!! I am going to start looking at some of the places you mentioned. I thought I was wearing moisture-wicking, but with a second look, I found that most of my clothes aren't! I really appreciate all the layering advice, too. I was literally wearing a sports bra and long-sleeve shirt that I thought was moisture-wicking. This is why I ask questions. Again, really really appreciate it!!!