Struggling

Options
I've been struggling with my weight for a long time. About 10 years ago I lost almost 50 lb. with weight watchers. Fast forward, divorce, remarriage etc etc and I've gained all plus some back. I need help. I went to the Dr. and he basically said exercise more and accept that I'm 47 and menopausal. Thanks Doc.

In the past 3 years I've tried going back to weight watchers a dozen times, I tried online, going to meetings. I've tried spark people, my fitness pal, eating 1200 calories, 1500 calories. Had the great idea to start running and hurt my knee. Awesome. Anyway, I need help and I don't know what to do.

Looking forward to connecting with fellow mwopers and hopefully reaching some goals!

current weight 192lb. 5'6'' I want to lose 30lb.

Replies

• typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi.. MOM7 here... I wish I could help, but I also am struggling to find the right answers.. Went to the doctor, a doctor who has known me for 10 plus years. I told him about MFP and the calories they said I should eat.. I am 245 pounds and 5 feet 1 inch.. He wants me to try 1200 calories a day with 3 days of exercise of 30 minutes to start out. I had been eating 1500 calories and doing the walking DVD 4 times a week and only lost 2 pounds... But he said something that I am trying to tell myself.. There is no magic answer about weight loss.. What works for one person may not work for the next. Different doctors will tell you different things. The only real key is to move more and take in less. (Which goes against the "eat more weigh less folks") .... I see everyone around me dropping weight like crazy, but they are also at a gym (can't afford it and no gym close to us anyway).. doing a lot more than I am.. Some of the gals on here are at the gym over 2 hours a day.. Who has time for that ??? I barely get in 30 minutes of a walking DVD and get someone (kids) looking for me, wanting dinner during that time!. I finally decided I will try the 1200 calories and 3 days a week of exercise for a month and see what happens.. The scale is getting put back in a closet and after a month I will get on it and see where I am at... BUT, if I have eaten 1200 calories and did my DVD and am still hungry, I will find me something to eat that is nutritious and try to stay away from McDonald's (my weakness)... I say try to eat healthy, plan your calories in a day so you have enough left to be able to eat a snack when you feel hungry, try to include some exercise, do squats when you pick up toys off the ground, take the steps if you can, and give it time. I started having weight issues after my third baby and kept adding to the weight after each baby after that ... I didnt gain it all in one month and I have to tell myself I will not lose it all in one month. You can do this, make small changes, nothing drastic. The more you deprive yourself the more likely you will binge or go overboard, give yourself a break and hang in there! I wish you tons of success. cindy
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can relate. My story is long, but depression and depo provera contributed to a 100 pound weight gain in about 3 years. I've struggled since my early 20's to lose it. I've done weight watchers several times, getting down as low as 171 pounds.

When I joined MFP on 2/7/12, my only true goal was DON'T QUIT!!! Bottom line was that I was frustrated with myself when I got to the low 170's and my body dysmorphia didn't allow me to see myself any differently than when I was 222 pounds. Thus I said screw it and ballooned back up to 232 pounds, and later my MFP starting weight of 254 pounds.

What changed was several major things. This next part is going to be TMI, JM style:

1. Difficulty breathing during sex.
    2. Difficulty cutting my toenails, tying my shoes. I realized I was tying my shoes the way my morbidly obese father does, with one leg on a chair.
    3. Nasty BM's--always loose, always telling myself "I probably have IBS"
    4. Heartburn
    5. Chronic pain

I was at work one day, and everyone was talking about a very pleasant patient, but one who was a challenge because she was so obese. I weighed 10 pounds more than she did. Ouch. I joined MFP the next day.

Initially, I was frustrated with how much I had lost in terms of fitness from my previous low weight. I could barely walk for more than 10 minutes on the treadmill at a snail's pace. I just kept plugging away. Again, the motto of "Don't give up, don't quit".

I also made a huge decision in this, and the JM crap serves to make me more irritated because of this. NO GIMMICKS. NO FADS.

I don't do super low fat, or low carb. I don't judge anyone who does, it's just that I learned through weight watchers that too low of fat made me miserable. I think that lead to some disordered thinking, and disordered eating on my part. I was afraid to end up back there again, and I knew that a more balanced diet would help me. I had to log my food, and learn to think about how I was feeling physically in conjunction with the numbers on the scale, and the nutrition I was consuming.

A big lesson for me has been that diet and exercise are a natural anti-depressant for me. The are truly mood elevating and energy supporting for me. Exercise, while hard to motivate to do (Still, after a year...I'll never be one of those perky girls in a pony tail talking about how fun working out is) seems to be like priming a pump. Once primed, the energy flows.

In 2005, we found ourselves with empty arms following IVF and were hurting. At that time our lives felt so out of control, and we both decided to make major career changes. It was very scary, but we are so much happier for taking that leap of faith. People have told us that we were inspirational, but I always looked at it like this: I could try and fail--have a few bumps and bruises along the way; I could try and succeed (yeah me!), or I could wish that I had done something and sit around and wonder what could have been.

If you made it this far, I hope you can take away the following:

This is a process, a long one for some people, and it's yours. Own it, make it yours, embrace it. Love yourself NOW, and don't give up on yourself. Even if you never reach that ideal weight, research shows that a healthy diet and exercise = better health. Who doesn't want that?

Keep fighting for YOU. You are definitely worth it, and even if you don't end up at that perfect weight by the specified date, you will know that you're trying. You won't be sitting on the couch going "If only I'd tried...."