Kale Pesto

1 c walnuts
    1 bunch of kale
    3 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 TB dark miso paste
    1 TB olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

all in a food processor and blend till desired consistancy, sometimes I'll add a bit of water to get it a bit more creamier

I love this on toast or as a dip. Great snack...high in protein and loaded with vitamins. My favorite way to eat kale raw
    this sounds amazing! thanks for sharing:)
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Kale Pesto

1 c walnuts
    1 bunch of kale
    3 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 TB dark miso paste
    1 TB olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

all in a food processor and blend till desired consistancy, sometimes I'll add a bit of water to get it a bit more creamier

I love this on toast or as a dip. Great snack...high in protein and loaded with vitamins. My favorite way to eat kale raw
    this sounds amazing! thanks for sharing:)

Agreed and I had some kale just a short time ago this recipe would have been perfect
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    http://thecompassionatevegan.blogspot.ca/2012/07/tofu-feta.html

Vegan feta cheese... minimal ingredients, very easy to make. I was amazed how similar the texture is, and that I could make a greek salad with it.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple recipes, with some modifications. Enjoy! :happy:

Indian Spice Frittata
    From Vegan With A Vengance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz; also check out her blog at www.theppk.com

1 pound extra firm tofu
    1 T soy sauce
    1 t dijon mustard
    1/4 C nutritional yeast
    2 t olive oil
    1/2 C diced onion
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1/2 C cauliflower florets
    1/4 C cooked chick peas
    1/4 t turmeric
    1 t curry powder
    1 t cumin
    juice of 1/2 lemon

** Notes: I used more like 1/2 C chick peas and 1 C cauliflower. I also added 1/4 C chickpea flour and 2 t baking powder (t=teaspoon and T=Tablespoon)**

In a mixing bowl crumble tofu and squeeze it through your your fingers until it resembles ricotta cheese. Mix in soy sauce and mustard. Add nutritional yeast, and chickpea flour and baking powder if using, and combine well.

In a small (8-inch) skillet, saute onion in the olive oil about 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower and saute for about 3 more minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin, turmeric and saute 1 more minute. Add the lemon juice to deglaze the pan. Transfer onion mixture to the tofu mixture and add in chickpeas. Transfer back to the skillet (or an 8 or 9 inch pie pan) and press the mixture firmly in place. Cook in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Transfer to the broiler for about 2 minutes, taking care not burn. Let the frittata sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

**Note on cooking: I baked mine for about 40 minutes and did not use the broiler.**

Middle Eastern Style Cauliflower “Rice” Salad
    Adapted from Crazy, Sexy, Raw by Carol Alt

1 medium head cauliflower
    1/3 C raw pine nuts
    ¼ C dried currants, cranberries, or raisins
    2 T EVOO
    3 T fresh lemon juice
    1 t fresh orange juice
    1 t grated orange zest
    1 t ground coriander
    1 t ground cumin
    2 pinches ground cinnamon
    Salt and pepper
    1 C minced fresh cilantro
    1/3 C minced fresh parsley
    Handful of fresh chopped mint

In a food processor pulse the cauliflower until it has a rice-like consistency. Transfer to a bowl and add pine nuts, currants, and onion. Toss to combine.

In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients, besides fresh herbs. Add the dressing to the cauliflower mixture. Add fresh herbs and toss.

**Notes: I lightly steamed the cauliflower before I made my “rice” because I find that I cannot eat raw cauliflower. Also I subbed ½ C sunflower seeds, soaked for 8 hours, for the pine nuts.

Curried Lentils
    By Me

I don’t use recipes and therefore I don’t write them. But here’s what I did, more or less for the Curried Lentils.

You need:
    Lentils, pre-cooked – See below
    Onion
    Garlic
    Zucchini
    Oil, for sautéing
    Curry powder, a few T
    Cumin, 1 t or so
    Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper

In a large skillet sautee onion in oil for a few minutes. Then add garlic and sautee a few more minutes. Add spices and mix well. Add pre-cooked lentils and some water, enough to about cover the lentils. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat a little and let the lentils cook about ten minutes. Be careful not to add too much water. Some water will evaporate so you may need to add more water during cooking. When the lentils are about done add in the chopped zucchini and any other vegetables you want (tomatoes, cabbage, peppers) and cook until the vegetables and lentils are done, about 10 minutes.

I took this from the article Lentil Measures, Equivalents and Substitutions; How many lentils do you need? On about.com
    • 1 cup dry lentils = 2 to 2-1/2 cups cooked
    • 1 pound dried lentils = 2-1/4 cups dry
    • 1 pound dried lentils = 4 servings
    • 1 pound dried lentils = 5 cups cooked

I soak the lentils about 2 hours. Drain water. Then I pre-cook lentils about 20 minutes in plain water. You could also soak, drain, and just cook the lentils with the seasonings. I like pre-cooking mine a bit so that I can drain off the water and have more control over how the final dish will turn out. Sometimes lentils cook really fast and sometimes the take longer. If you add vegetables before the lentils are done cooking you run the risk of the vegetables being way over cooked. Stop the pre-cooking when you think the lentils are 20-30 minutes from being done.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A Tex-Mex Fritatta!

92ef5e16-39a5-435e-a6db-cb677d821cae_zpsce2c6cf4.jpg

It also had cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper

Keep the basics (for me that is tofu, soy sauce, yeast, chickpea flour) and add and subtract to make it your own! It's super easy and quick. This one I made a day ahead and left uncooked. After my evening bike ride I popped it in the oven, took a shower, and sauteed some greens to go along with it. Simple. Easy. Delicious. Filling!

I find the recipe without the chickpea flour is a little too mushy for me. That is also why I have been adding in beans and chunks of veggies!
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    yams baked with cinnamon and almond milk simple easy and soo good
  • AdryHezekiah
    AdryHezekiah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wheatberry & Kale Salad

(tweaked the recipe from from downtoearth.org - took out nuts, oil & sweetener, added more veggies)

It is like tabbouleh in flavor but has more veggies than grain. Great alone or served with a cup of carrot or squash soup on the side for a filling dinner.

Serves 6-8

SALAD

1 1/2 Cups wheat berries/farro (I use 1 bag of the Trader Joes quick farro) cooked, strained and cooled
    4 Cups shredded or chopped raw kale
    1 Cup chopped or thin sliced raw red, yellow or orange bell pepper or mini sweet peppers
    1 Cup chopped or thin sliced cucumber
    1/4 Cup raw chopped or thin sliced red onion
    1/2 Cup chopped parsley
    1/4 to 1/2 Cup (to taste) chopped cilantro
    1 15oz can of garbanzo beans, drained
    1/2 Cup pearl or grape tomatoes, halved

DRESSING

1/4 Cup Braggs Apple cider vinegar
    2 Tbl Bragg's liquid aminos
    Juice from 1 lemon
    2 cloves fresh crushed garlic
    1/4 Cup minced/finely diced red onion
    A pinch of cayenne pepper

Toss all the salad ingredients together in a big bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a smaller bowl, pour dressing on the salad and mix/toss it well. Serve as is or refrigerate a few hours to let the flavors soak in and to have the vinegar make the kale a little easier to eat. If this is too much raw kale for your liking, do 2 Cups kale and 2 Cups mixed baby greens BUT eat that one right away so the baby greens don't wilt and get soggy.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I'm at work now, but want to really read through these later. I'm always looking for new recipes to try!
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A very yummy vegan dessert. Make it the night before to impress your guests with how delicious it is the day after!

Summer Pudding

175g redcurrants (stalks removed)
    350g blackcurrants (stalks removed)
    225 - 275g brown sugar
    thinly pared rind of 1 large orange
    225g raspberries
    225g blackberries / loganberries
    12 thick slices white bread, crusts removed.

NB: You can replace the fresh fruit with about 900g - 1kg of frozen mixed berries - just make up the weight with whatever mixture you've got.

1. Place the redcurrants, blackcurrants and orange rind in a large saucepan. Cover and cooke gently until the juices flow and the sugar has dissolved (if you're using frozen fruit, you can add it all at once). Add the raspberries and blackberries / loganberries and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until they are softened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.

2. Cut a round shape from one of the slices of bread, large enough to fit in the base of a 1.7 litre pudding basin. Place the round in the basin, then line the sides of the basin with slightly overlapping slices of bread, reserve the rest for the centre and top.

3. Remove the orange rind from the fruit. Spoon half of the fruit and juice into the bread-lined basin, then place a layer of bread on top. Add the remaining fruit and juice, then cover completely with the remaining bread, trimmed to fit if necessary.

4. Cover the pudding with a small plate or saucer which just fits inside the basin. Place some heavy weights on top of the plate. Chill overnight.

5. To serve, gently loosen the pudding from the sides of the basin with a pallete knife, then turn out on to a flat serving plate.

Serve with vegan cream / vegan icecream (if you're not watching the calories too much that day!).
  • lcv915
    lcv915 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on Pinterest and we all love it with blue tortilla chips.

BUFFALO CHICKPEA DIP
    The cashews do not need to be soaked for this dip, but if you’re the soaking type or don’t feel terribly confident in your blender/food processor’s capabilities, feel free to soak them overnight. Also, make at least a few hours ahead to allow all the flavors time to meld together; cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate, and bake just before serving.

1 15-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup raw cashews
    ¾ cup original Frank’s Red Hot sauce
    1/2 cup unflavored, unsweetened non-dairy milk
    2 teaspoons lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
    1 rounded tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    Ground black pepper
    Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon fresh, finely-chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon fresh chopped chives
    1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 cup Daiya cheddar-style cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375˚F.
    Add beans and cashews to the food processor. Pulse several times to break them up a bit. Add hot sauce, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of black pepper. Process until mixture is entirely smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
    Scrape bean mixture into a bowl and stir in the parsley and chives to evenly distribute. Stir in chickpeas and 3/4 cup of Daiya. Transfer the dip to a 9×9-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Daiya on top. (Note: Dip can be made up to this point a day or two ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to heat and serve.) Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until warmed through. Serve with tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.
  • lcv915
    Options
    Jicama Salad
    great summer dish! Combine in whatever quantity suits you...

Diced Jicama
    Diced Cucumber
    Shredded or Diced Carrot
    Diced Tomato
    Can of Garbanzo Beans
    Jalapeno or the spicier Serano Chili (optional)
    Salt
    Chaat Masala (sprinkle over the top to taste)
    Lemon Juice or Squeeze a Fresh Lemon
    Roasted Cumin (1 t to 1 T)
  • lcv915
    Options
    ALOO GOBI

o One cauliflower, cut

o 1 large or 2 small diced potatoes

o Heat 1.5 Tbsp oil in a deep pan or wok

o When oil is hot, add 1 tsp cumin; roast until brown (approx 30-sec)

o Add diced potato; stir until translucent

o Add 1 heaping tsp salt, 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp ground coriander

o Add the cauliflower

o Lemon juice to taste and sprinkle w/a little water to create steam

o Cover and cook, stirring occasionally

o Garnish w/cilantro
  • lcv915
    Options
    This was another huge hit at our house (can you tell we lean toward the spicy stuff, yet?):

Spicy Tofu Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients
    4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
    1 block (12 oz) extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes and patted dry
    3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
    2 cups cole slaw mix
    1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
    2 tablespoons plum/duck sauce
    1 head butter lettuce
    2 green onions, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Directions
    Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and toss; cook 5 more minutes. Remove tofu from skillet and set aside.

Pour remaining 2 teaspoons vegetable oil into skillet. Add cole slaw mix, bell pepper, minced ginger, minced garlic, red pepper flakes and sriracha; stir to combine. Cook, tossing occasionally, until bell pepper is soft and slightly charred, about 5-10 minutes.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce; toss to combine. Cook 3 more minutes. Add plum sauce and stir. Return tofu to skillet and toss to combine.

Remove leaves from head of lettuce; wash thoroughly and pat dry with a towel. Spoon tofu mixture into lettuce. Garnish with green onions and cilantro before serving.
  • lcv915
    Options
    QUINOA BROWNIES WITH PB2 FROSTING

Brownie Ingredients:
    1.5 cup cooked quinoa
    1.5 cup pitted dates
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    3 Tbsp coconut butter (melted) - just food-process dried coconut for several minutes and it turns to "butter"
    1.5 tsp vanilla extract
    sea salt as desired

Frosting Ingredients:
    1/3 cup prepared PB2
    4 Tbsp chopped peanuts
    3 Tbsp maple syrup
    1.5 Tbsp coconut butter (melted)
    sea salt as desired

Directions:
    Preheat your oven to 350. Blend brownie ingredients in a food processor until incorporated and smooth. It will be thick. Using a spatula, spread into a 9" cake pan. Mixture will be very sticky. Bake for 30 minutes.

While brownies are baking, stir together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl. It will be ready to spread on the brownies shortly after they come out of the oven. Store in the fridge or freezer.
  • lcv915
    Options
    My entire family loves these!

VEGAN SPICED COCONUT PANCAKES

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp nutmeg
    3/4 tsp allspice
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    (1) 13 1/2 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Vegetable Oil

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Whisk first 6 ingredients and 3/4 tsp salt in large bowl. Whisk coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups warm, water, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and vanilla, in medium bowl. Whisk coconut milk mixture into dry mixture until batter is pourable.

Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat; brush with vegetable oil. Working in batches, add batter by 1/4 cupfuls. Working quickly and using back of spoon, spread each pancake to about 4-inch round. Cook until small bubbles appear on surface and bottoms of pancakes are golden, reducing heat if browning too quickly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven. Top pancakes with applesauce, sliced bananas, or tropical fruit.
  • lcv915
    Options
    Sorry if I'm overwhelming this board but - these are the best Brussels Sprouts I've ever tasted. I make them every Thanksgiving!

BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH CRANBERRY PISTACHIO PESTO
    (from Chef Todd at Checkers Restaurant at the Hilton Los Angeles)

For Brussels Sprouts:
    1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup Cranberry Pistachio Pesto (see below)

For Pesto
    1/2 cup toasted pistachios
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    3 cloves roasted garlic
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1/2 cups olive oil
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400F degrees.

Cut off the knobby end of the brussels sprouts and pull off any loose outer leaves. Cut the brussels sprouts in half, lengthwise. Toss with olive oil.

On a baking sheet, spread the brussels sprouts evenly and roast for 25 minutes, until you begin to see a bit of browning on the brussels sprouts. The interior should be fork tender.

Place the pistachios, cranberries, garlic and parsley into a food processor and process until very finely chopped. While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spoon out the pesto into a bowl and stir in remaining olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. The pesto should be slightly sweet and salty.

Season the brussels sprouts with salt and pepper and spoon the Cranberry Pistachio Pesto on top.
  • lcv915
    Options
    My final contribution (for today, anyway)...my favorite side dish.

SPINACH WITH GARLIC AND CARMELIZED ONION

Ingredients:
    1lb baby spinach
    4-5 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
    1 small onion, sliced thin
    1 whole red dry chili
    1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
    salt
    1.5 teaspoons sesame oil
    fresh lemon
    some roasted peanuts, crushed would be a nice way to garnish

Preparation:
    Wash the spinach well. (take care to see there you wash off the dirt if you are using fresh spinach); drain and tear the spinach roughly.

Add sesame seeds and oil in a pan and let the oil heat up (this flavors up the oil); add the red dry chili and the chopped garlic. Fry till the red chili darkens and the garlic turns light golden. Add the sliced onions and saute at low to medium heat till the onions are light brown/lightly caramelized. The garlic with turn darker while the onions are getting brown, and that is okay.

Add the spinach and the salt and stir till everything combines. Cover and cook at low heat till the spinach is cooked and all the water is absorbed.

Sprinkle fresh lemon juice.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can add some recipes when I get home from work :)
    These all sound yummy!
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A new (to me) chocolate ice cream recipe:

-1 c. frozen blueberries
    -handful of spinach
    -1 tsp. vanilla
    -2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    -enough water to blend

Ugh--to. die. for. And a cold "smoothie" that doesn't use bananas, haha. :)
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For Pesto
    1/2 cup toasted pistachios
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    3 cloves roasted garlic
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1/2 cups olive oil
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Oh my goodness, your recipes sound soo yummy! :D