Strength Training - The Basics

Options

Replies

• sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Great info Sara! What are warm up sets exactly ? Can you share a little detail about them too or just pass a link ?
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Supplemental post, I touch on warming up, stretches, and routines a bit, I like your info on rep ranges and isolation versus compound (while I do harp on excessive cardio and the group is named "*kitten* Cardio", I do touch on it as far as benefits):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/864338-f-cking-strength-training-101
  • djdube525
    djdube525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara,

Thanks for the post... wise words of wisdom! One quick favor... would you consider editing your original post to include you tube videos of proper form for some of the basic exercises (bench, squat, deadlift, row, etc)?

I know... I could stup being a lazy sob and google myself... just thought it would be helpful to others (ehem... selfishly... me) to have everything in one spot.

Thanks!

Dave
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara,

Thanks for the post... wise words of wisdom! One quick favor... would you consider editing your original post to include you tube videos of proper form for some of the basic exercises (bench, squat, deadlift, row, etc)?

I know... I could stup being a lazy sob and google myself... just thought it would be helpful to others (ehem... selfishly... me) to have everything in one spot.

Thanks!

Dave

See:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/864338-f-cking-strength-training-101
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara,

Thanks!

Dave

We have a thread within the group that discusses good resources for form:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/852401-proper-form-and-technique-sources

I am going to be expanding this thread when I have time however.
  • djdube525
    Options

We have a thread within the group that discusses good resources for form:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/852401-proper-form-and-technique-sources

I am going to be expanding this thread when I have time however.

Thanks for the pointer Sara! I'll look at that as well.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post, as always.

I noticed you said stretching isn't necessary prior to lifting. I know better than to cold stretch, but I generally do 5-7 minutes of dynamic stretching, then 3-5 minutes of jumping rope prior to starting warm-up sets.

My question is, since the dynamic stretching generally gets my heart rate up almost as high as jumping rope, would it be safe to assume the combo of dynamic stretching plus jumping rope is a sufficient cardio warm-up?

There is actually evidence that stretching prior to and during lifting can be detrimental to your strength (in that session). Stretching afterwards is beneficial, however.
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Loved your post thanks Sara. Hehe.....make you feel like a badass....yes...love it!

I'm trialling a few gyms lately to see how bub goes in the creches and yesterday i was at quite a popular 'posers' gym...Still in this day and age with a lot of young confident women interested in lifting weights, it suprises me to still see a lot of guys looking at you like you are braving the free weights area...surrounded by 99% of blokes...that's okay - it certainaly makes me feel like a badassssssss ;)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara, great info as always. Slightly OT, but do you do any plyos before your lifts? We tend to warm up and then do a couple sets of dynamic plyos, then strength (5/3/1), then assistance work (8-10reps) and cool down...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hey Sara, great info as always. Slightly OT, but do you do any plyos before your lifts? We tend to warm up and then do a couple sets of dynamic plyos, then strength (5/3/1), then assistance work (8-10reps) and cool down...

I do 3 minutes on the elliptical if I am lucky (not the best I know)...then I just do the warm ups for the main lifts, then assists (6 - 12, depending)..I get on the elliptical for a slow arsed 12 minute session after that.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

I do 3 minutes on the elliptical if I am lucky (not the best I know)...then I just do the warm ups for the main lifts, then assists (6 - 12, depending)..I get on the elliptical for a slow arsed 12 minute session after that.

Pretty similar to my old program except the plyos. I'm not sure the effect but my strength coach likes them. For bench we'd do stuff like clap-pushups or heavy wall balls... box jumps for squats and deads etc...

Man I can't wait to train again!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just now saw this! Great post, Sara! Thanks!
  • djdube525
    Options
    I have a few noob questions...

Just started stronglifts (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/) last week per Sara's suggestion

When looking at the program, there are essentially 2 workouts... If lifting 3 days a week (M,W,F), do you always flip flop (one week you do the first workout twice on M,F and the following week you do that one once on W... Or, do you always do the first one twice a week on M,F?

Is the goal to add 5lbs to the routine each week, or each time you repeat a workout. Asked differently, since you do squats on each workout, should I be addin five pounds every time I do squats?

Thx!

-D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You would do

ABA

next week

BAB

and so on.

Regarding the increments:

You should add 5lb to each lift each session you do, except for deadlifts which is 10lb.
  • djdube525
    Options
    Thanks Sara!

So if you increment each lift each session, how much should you starting weight increase between sessions?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I was just going to ask if an easy 10 minute walk to the gym is a sufficient warm up but I'm going to guess from this yes ? :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks Sara!

So if you increment each lift each session, how much should you starting weight increase between sessions?

Ooop - I missed this.

The answer really depends on what program you are on and how easy the last session was.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options

So, in summary:
    1 – 5 reps = strength
    6 – 12 reps = hypertrophy
    12+ = endurance

So, the appropriate rep ranges really depend on your goals as well as your overall lifting program. Most ‘standard’ programs focus on the upper end of the strength range so benefits of both strength and some hypertrophy are gained.

With Stronglifts 5x5 -- does one benefit from both strength and hypertrophy?

Or should one increase reps on some days?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

So, in summary:
    1 – 5 reps = strength
    6 – 12 reps = hypertrophy
    12+ = endurance

So, the appropriate rep ranges really depend on your goals as well as your overall lifting program. Most ‘standard’ programs focus on the upper end of the strength range so benefits of both strength and some hypertrophy are gained.

With Stronglifts 5x5 -- does one benefit from both strength and hypertrophy?

^ Yes, you will make progress in both.