Protein?

Options
lacurandera1
lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
Someone's sure to think this is a stupid question, but whatever. I'm asking anyway. I'm out of protein supplement. I'm broke and won't have more anytime soon. That said, meat selection at home is also slim pickins. What's the best, cheapest, food source of protein I could choose? Hoping you all have some ideas I've overlooked.

I drink a lot of milk, but bang for your buck wise it's not as balanced as I wish it was. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, too.

ETA: Protein supplement is cheaper per gram of protein here than pretty much any kind of meat.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A cheap whey is the best option in terms of price per gram of protein.

After that, I believe is canned tuna and chicken breast, if you can get a good price ($2 a pound or less). Buying a whole chicken is probably even cheaper.

Eggs are another cheap one, not very lean though.
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Maybe I could start cooking with bugs? :laugh:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are cheap, not the most usable protein sources though. If you have a can of beans and combine it with a grain like rice you will get a better protein profile.

Elaine
  • Belita38
    Belita38 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eggs whites are a great source or protein.
    For example: 4 eggs white have the same amount of protein as one scoop of my whey.
    I like to have them boiled with oreganos, thyme, black pepper a little bite of salt.
    You can also have an omolette with eggs whites, cherry tomatoes and cheese.
    But the easier way to eat them if you want to eat them after your workout is to have them boiled with or without seasoning.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Do you live in the town or the country?

Rabbits are pretty cheap. Know anyone with polecats or that goes shooting?

Offal is usually cheap - liver is really nice and lots of iron, hearts are good in stews or braised - taste just like stewing steak.

Fish? There are often unexplored species of fish which are cheap - I used to eat loads of dabs (a kind of flatfish) as tasty as plaice, but a world cheaper cos nobody seems to know what they are.
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Do you live in the town or the country?

Rabbits are pretty cheap. Know anyone with polecats or that goes shooting?

I live in West Virginia. It's pretty much all country. :)