Are there any foods(triggers) you have completely given up?

Options
I know this gets asked on the message boards... and then everyone replies "life style changes. I don't give up anything!"

While I know this is true, & good for them... just asking on here in the BED group. I know others struggle with binges, and maybe keeping certain trigger foods in the house would be hard for recovery.

So.. are there any foods you just can't have ? Maybe just for the year. Anything you haven't had in a long time? Did giving it up help the binges?

I have a couple major triggers and I'm thinking maybe it's just time to stop the "moderation" crap and just totally take it out of my diet... If I can't eat it responsibly, it probably isn't good for me to keep around!

Replies

• Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, god, yes! I've talked to others on here who are the same and I do so much better in the all or nothing category. I can't measure certain foods..so I don't buy then. I have NO peanut butter...but replace it with raw nuts instead because I can control those. I do not have baked goods around either because I will eat them when I'm stressed. I'll still bake, but right before I'm bringing it somewhere else. Occasionally I'll have dark chocolate raisinets and I'll be able to control it for the most part...sometimes I go overboard and throw them out because I'd rather waste food in the trash than waste it on my body : /. I'm working on it, baby steps! Salty things like chips and pretzels don't really get to me, just anything sweet!
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!!! My problem is I will be good for a bit and bring them back into the house and am okay for a couple days and then BAM, binge on them. Mine is Peanut butter--just need to learn I can NEVER have that around. I also can overdo it on all the nut butters, I am going to go back to individual packs, even though it is more expensive I think it is worth it for me. I can not have yogurt pretzels, cookies, ice cream (other than vanilla), any kind of baked goods, good white bread and spreadable (real) butter--strange one I know, but I will eat buttered bread like it is going out of style. chocolate anything, really anything sweet.
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see this topic in this group because, as IceyRain said, we with BED will have much different perspectives.

I seem to be giving up donuts for now. I fought a freaking BATTLE with donuts last week!! They are a huge trigger food for me, and I would never buy them right now, but someone brought them in to work, and I had this mental war with myself about whether I could enjoy half of one or even a whole one without screwing with my mindset. A friend (who also struggles with binge eating) said something that was quite valuable and that made me ultimately decide not to eat any donuts--"Donuts will still be there when you are better able to cope with them." For some reason, that made a big difference, that I wasn't saying NO NEVER to donuts, but I was saying "Not right now" because my "recovery" is too new and vulnerable. I may not have binged on donuts then and there, but I don't know that eating a half or a whole last week wouldn't have set something off, and I have loved feeling in control the last month or so TOO MUCH to jeopardize that. So while I may not have completely given up this trigger food, I have for now, until I am better able to cope with it, whenever that is.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    A friend (who also struggles with binge eating) said something that was quite valuable and that made me ultimately decide not to eat any donuts--"Donuts will still be there when you are better able to cope with them." For some reason, that made a big difference, that I wasn't saying NO NEVER to donuts, but I was saying "Not right now" because my "recovery" is too new and vulnerable. I may not have binged on donuts then and there, but I don't know that eating a half or a whole last week wouldn't have set something off, and I have loved feeling in control the last month or so TOO MUCH to jeopardize that. So while I may not have completely given up this trigger food, I have for now, until I am better able to cope with it, whenever that is.

"Donuts will still be there when you are able to cope better with them" Love it. Sometimes I eat like the food won't be there tomorrow. I think what helps me is repeating to myself that "there will always be another meal" -- when I want to eat and I'm not hungry.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep regular bread out of the vicinity, but mainly because I don't see much use in bread anyway and it is full of rubbish. I do keep basic bread around, that is just rye, water and salt basically, and have no issues with that. I don't have peanut butter around anymore, I never really binged on it, just ate more than I would like and I can think of more nutritious ways to pack in a few hundred calories. Even my ex trainer who is a nutritionist said peanut butter isn't that great nutritionally. I do still buy in tubs of ice cream sometimes, or larger quantities of chocolate, because I feel for me personally, it is burying my head in the sand and taking the easy way out to not buy it at all. I want to learn moderation, and to be able to be around foods without fear, and the only way to do that is by challenging myself. Sometimes I will binge, sometimes I will go days or a week with the food sitting there, just having a portion or none at all. I don't buy in baked goods as the only reason I ever did buy them was specifically to binge. Outside of that, I never bought that kind of thing anyway. Bread and chocolate are the only foods I used to buy in regularly, in terms of potantial binge foods.

I can keep dark chocolate around safely usually, and stick to a square or two. I can now keep nuts around and generally stick to a portion. It does come down to self control and power of will, to quite a degree. I tend to only want to eat healthy foods to sate hunger, so often the only times I do eat that kind of food is when I am not hungry. Nevertheless, I don't see myself giving it up altogether. I accept that I will probably always have days where I overeat on some things, it is just the way I am. I think the issue comes when occasional overeating is seen as somehow abnormal or a problem.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    bump!! I have some that I limit to every once in a while but nothing that I have completely given up.

Now their are certain foods that I have completely stopped eating because of fat content but not because they are food triggers if this makes sense at all :) I make healthier substitutions to these foods.
  • ashleighlive
    ashleighlive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have come to realise FOR NOW refined sugar.
    But it's a catch 22 by restricting I binge, but I don't think I am strong enough to just have one serving?!
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This whole topic is SO up my alley. Instead of saying I'll never eat these things for the rest of my life, I just say "not today." Kind of like the previous example with the donuts; I tell myself maybe one day when I can handle them like a rational individual. :tongue:

I think I have two categories of "problem foods:"

1) Foods I can have in the house, but can't stop once I start. Peanut butter is the one that comes to mind first. In general, I find it pretty easy to avoid peanut butter if it's out of sight...but once I start trying to measure it out, it's gone so quickly that I generally want more, more, more of it. Since these foods tend to be very calorie-dense, I am not satisfied with smaller portions. I get upset with this fact and end up binging on it because life's not fair. At the end, I think I'd be better off if I never started! Actually, yesterday, I looked at some PB that was in the cupboard and just said "Nope. I can't go there." Same with crackers.

2) Foods I cannot have in the house, ever. These are things like ANY baked goods, candy, plus most snack foods, especially crunchy Cheetos and potato chips. Pizza is also a big one for me. My fiance is ok with not having these foods in the house, since we both agreed that if we REALLY want something junky, we can get in the car and go get a controlled portion Hopefully, by the time I have children, I will be able to control it; since I don't want to not have snacks in the house for them.

Actually, three square meals and no snacks seems to be working for me lately. Since I don't eat snacks, I don't have a need for "snack food." I'd much rather have three hearty meals than those "portioned" snacks that seem to only exacerbate my hunger. But again, I tell myself it's not for life. Just for now.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    2) Foods I cannot have in the house, ever. These are things like ANY baked goods, candy, plus most snack foods, especially crunchy Cheetos and potato chips. Pizza is also a big one for me. My fiance is ok with not having these foods in the house, since we both agreed that if we REALLY want something junky, we can get in the car and go get a controlled portion Hopefully, by the time I have children, I will be able to control it; since I don't want to not have snacks in the house for them.
    I would not worry about your future children and snacks. They don't need to get hooked on the junky snacks. If you don't start them on them they will not like them hopefully. You will do them a favor for sure. Healthy fruits, etc are great snacks for your future children. My 2 cents.....:flowerforyou: And if I ever had kids I would make sure to tell them from infancy junk food and fast foods are unhealthy and bad for you, etc.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about your future children and snacks. They don't need to get hooked on the junky snacks. If you don't start them on them they will not like them hopefully. You will do them a favor for sure. Healthy fruits, etc are great snacks for your future children. My 2 cents.....:flowerforyou: And if I ever had kids I would make sure to tell them from infancy junk food and fast foods are unhealthy and bad for you, etc.

I hope to do this, too, Mollie! I started seeking comfort in food from an early age, and I'd like to break that cycle. Hopefully I can do this in a way that makes them not feel shameful or guilty if they have sweets every now and then.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm more sweet than savoury. I've had to give up peanut butter, toast with sweet spreads, certain yoghurts, all chocolate, cereals, biscuits, cakes, I can't eat a normal portion, I've tried but it never works.