Paleo vs Low Carb

Options
dihar2
dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
Looking for input. Those of u that follow paleo, please tell me what books/program's u use & the same with the low carb. I only lose and feel better on low carb and only certain carbs but feel I'm not feeding my body well. All info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My wife is Paleo and I am very low carb. These go together fairly well. She uses "Practical Paleo" (which we like a lot) and I use Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why We Get Fat".
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a way of eating that cuts out certain food groups - mainly grains, dairy, legumes (Primal allows for dairy) - and focuses on clean whole foods vs any processed foods

Low Carb is basically a way of eating in that someone watches thier carb intake.

A lot of people get the two confused and think Paleo is a form of low carb - because one of the main things you are taking out is grains - overall for most people that will lead to a lower carb eating style - however there are still a lot of fresh fruits and veggies that contain decent amounts of carbs - so someone can eat a strict Paleo but not be low carb...and vice versa - someone can eat low carb and not eat Paleo.

A good way is to educate yourself about what your body needs...and what is the best way to get there.

With low carb there are a lot of processed foods out there that tout low carb but the added junk in the processed stuff isn't good for your overall health...it is very easy to eat a paleo/primal eating style and swing it towards lower carb...

Gary Taubes is a great read...

for more about Paleo/Primal - http://www.drvita.com/blog/index.php/the-best-websites-and-blogs-for-paleo-recipes-and-resources/
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What twinmom said, plus reference the Perfect Health Diet: hthttp://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

It's not necessarily low carb or paleo, but can fit either one, too. It's closer to what I follow.

It's all about finding what works for you! Good Luck!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo/primal AND low carb. :laugh:
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Great question and great answers!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat primal/paleo & low carb and have found the website: MarksDailyApple.com a great resource. Go to the "Start Here" tab and it explains about why certain foods are good, etc. Also explains a "carbohydrate curve" for weight loss, etc. Very easy to read through.

All the books mentioned above are great too and really were helpful as well.

Best of Luck!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great answers! The Gary Taubes books are great, and I also follow Mark's Daily Apple. I definitely have changed my form of "low carb," which was pretty much Atkins. I try to use more organic sources now. I still have dairy, mainly butter from grass fed cows, cheese, and Greek yogurt (and of course my organic half & half for my coffee). I feel better this way - it's more of a trial and error thing. I still have a time with those nasty carbs and give in from time to time. Last week wasn't one of my better ones and I've paid the price pound-wise...
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do primal and low carb as well. Years ago I did Atkins and it was a great introduction to my current way of eating, but I will not touch the packaged "low carb" crap. Sugar alcohols make me very sick.