Skipping Days? Weeks?

Options
I have not been able to complete Insanity yet. My first attempt was the summer of 2012 i was 2 weeks away from completing Insanity but my family had to move which took weeks and by then i felt like i failed and didnt know if i should have picked up where i left off.

I started back up again in December (last month) but sprained my ankle (during recovery week) thanks to a pothole. I didnt want to feel like a quitter so as soon as i felt better i started where i left off (which was month 2) I was overwhelmed. I'm not lazy. I'm a stay at home mom who even though i homeschool my 4 yr old I have all the time in the world for a workout but i just feel like the powers that be keep me from finishing the program.

I love the results I get from insanity but i already feel bad for having to start over a 3rd time.

My questions are:
1) Is it bad to jump back into Insanity after a hiatus? Or even after the flu.
2)Does anyone else skip day(s)
3)What should i do to make my next shot at Insanity a complete one?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I would jump back but probably start from the beginning unless you've been doing some other type of HIIT training between then & now.
    I had to skip a day due to time, it was Christmas Eve and traveling between our families I just didn't have the energy or time. I picked up the next day and dropped the Cardio Recovery routine for the routine I missed.
    IMO to be successful you need to schedule the time. I have 2 kids (3y and 5m) and I get my workout in after I put the 5m old to bed. DH bathes and puts the 3yr old to bed while I am working out in the garage. Set aside an hour just for you and your workout.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was 8 days in & had to skip the last 2 days because I was throwing up. Feeling better today though & plan to start back up again tomorrow where I left off (& yes, work out on rest day.)
  • Mooraffe1
    Options
    I guess any exercise is better than none. Thank you ladies for your help. My best to you both :)
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I skip tues & thurs but that's because I have taekwondo on those days, and more often than not my instructor gives a really intense class. You can always tell when he doesn't feel well because the class is slow. I take saturdays off instead of sundays. Yeah, My Insanity lasts longer than if I followed the chart but right now, I simply don't have time to do that AND taekwondo on tues & thurs plus I don't want to kill myself trying to do both in one day.

I just took 2 days off of both of them and started insanity right back up where I left off. I think If I ever took off say, more than 2 weeks, I'd start back at the beginning.
  • Mooraffe1
    Options
    What i mean by skipping days means i dont workout with anything else. That's great for you & Super job doing both! How far are you into completing Insanity? I know now that i should always substitute one exercise for another. :)
  • chelsey728
    chelsey728 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think missing days is ok. You wont finish as fast but insanity is all about pushing yourself. My first cycle took 4 months. I would miss days, pick a random insanity workout and not record it for the week on weeks that i knew i wasn't going to be doing it 5-6 days. I don't recommend that. If you're going to do insanity do it as many days as you can and just record it. If you take 2-3 weeks off you'll be sore again but keep pushing. Once you finish your first cycle you'll be so much more motivated to do it at many days as possible (I know i have been so far). Just keep pushing & don't punish yourself if you have to miss but try not to ;-)

GOOD LUCK! you can finish it!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What i mean by skipping days means i dont workout with anything else. That's great for you & Super job doing both! How far are you into completing Insanity? I know now that i should always substitute one exercise for another. :)

I am ending the 2nd week right now. I do skip days of both if I"m not feeling well. I don't want to do anything to make myself feel worse or cause injury or anything...

We were taught a lesson in class last night.... one of our instructors showed up a bit late so he didn't warm up with the rest of class, and popped his hamstring doing a roundhouse. the back of his leg is black and blue now.. lesson learned -- WARMUP IS IMPORTANT lol.