Anyone expecting foals ths year?

Options
We're about to start on foal watch in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone else is expecting any babies this year.

Mares Due for us:

Graham's Chorus Girl (Lena)- Approx. 280 days
PFP Paula Dean (Mimi)- Approx. 290 days
Rainfield Farms Ringmasters Bell (Belle)- Approx 250 days

Replies

• BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I wish! do the minis foal OK? Need help?

Dawn
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not this year, the barn had one last year at this time though!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    We had an unexpected foal last year - one of the youngsters was sent away for breaking and after two days the rider phoned to say there were suddenly two horses in the loose box... One of the colts must have been gelded too late!
  • foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Minis can have quite a few problems, especially the smaller ones (distocia can happen due to pelvic insufficeniecy). We take turns staying up over night to keep an eye on them and go out immediately when they begin labor. We do help the foaling as well so we can make sure they are coming out okay and to get the bag broken open. Minis and shetlands can also have this bad habit of foaling while standing up. My mom had to catch a filly last year as she was coming out because her momma didn't see the need to lay down to get the job done.

Minis also don't hold off as long as full sized horses (for the most part, there are always the odd balls). Typically gestation is 320 days, but some mares have been known to foal as early as 290.

I'm just really hoping we have a good, safe year this year. We have lost 2 fillies in the last 2 years, one from an abruption and the other to a small intestine blockage when she was less than a week old. We're ready to have a year where everything goes right again.
  • Im hoping to put my Shire x mare in foal this April/May..... its our first foal and im so excited :happy: Hopefully going to be a stunning Thoroughbred Dark Bay Stallion.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Minis can have quite a few problems, especially the smaller ones.

Minis also don't hold off as long as full sized horses (for the most part, there are always the odd balls). Typically gestation is 320

Very Interesting. You are definitely an expert! My first horse had a filly when I was 12. Best Ever! I worked at New Bolton Large Animal Hospital for a Very short time...cldnt stop crying with deaths in ICU and NICU! There were quite a few minis sent there to foal. They are SO stinking cute! More so when full term.

Different topic. What command do you use when driving, Right, Left?
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    We had an unexpected foal last year - one of the youngsters was sent away for breaking and after two days the rider phoned to say there were suddenly two horses in the loose box... One of the colts must have been gelded too late!

Oh Jez! Hoped the owner like theories breed!
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Sorry about above!!! My IPad has an interesting spell check.

I hope the owner liked the sites breed!
  • foxyninja398
    Options
    We try to be as close to a vet in knowlege as possible since it is too far a drive for our vet in case of a true emergency. We have to troubleshoot as much as possible.

We don't use many vocal commands in driving. We work almost entirely off of rein and/or whip cues as well as small clucks or kisses. Judges don't like loud commands, the only time you can get around it is in the draft hitch classes.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Any babies yet? Photos PLEASE!
  • MinervaTK
    Options
    I'm expecting a Fabuleux baby out of my Sempatico mare (warmbloods), but not until August. It seems so far away!
  • foxyninja398
    Options
    No babies yet. Lena (she's the mare in my weight-ticker pict) is forming wax plugs and has a decent udder started so only a few more weeks. I think she will go about the 12th but since this is baby #1 for her, not sure when she will decide it's time. Mimi's attitude is changing and she's looking close as well, but since she's never foaled out here, we don't know what her signs will be either.

We're hoping for fillies, but I've got a feeling this is going to be a colt year. I'm thinking solid bay for Mimi, bay/white minimal pinto on Belle (she's not due for a while) and a bay homozygous tobiano for Lena.
  • foxyninja398
    Options
    Lena foaled!!!!!!! She went around 9:30 pm and had a gorgeous bay tobiano colt. His name is still up in the air, but he has already passed stool and nursed, and momma passed the complete placenta. Both seem to be doing fine now. Lena had some trouble with him as she was very tight, but we managed to help pull him and while she has some swelling, she has no tearing and seems happy and alert (it was a very stressful foaling for all of us!) My profile picture is of both mom and baby before he got up for the first time. Fingers crossed and we never relax until they are about a week old. Planning on giving him a little liquid gold tomorrow morning to boost him, then he'll have his IgG at 24 hours to make sure everything is a go.

1 down, 2 to go this year, and already have a mare confirmed in foal for next year.