new member needs friends

Options
Hi, I'm Nancy. I Joined a couple of days ago and am learning to navigate the site. SIx months ago I retired after 36 years, from the field of education. With more free time, I am ready to shed my extra 40 pounds and live an active healthy lifestyle. My husband (who has no weight issues) and I love to be outdoors. We hike, bike, ski (green and easy blue slopes), fish, and love to travel. I know I could enjoy all activities more if I were carrying around fewer pounds.
I would like to friend folks who too are working toward a healthier lifestyle as well as hear some tips from those further along the journey. When I was younger, I could take off any unwanted pounds by adding in a little more activity and cutting out a few calories . Now that I'm older, that does not work so I am hopeful that keeping food and exercise journals and corresponding with others will help me reach my goals. No more sneaking the Snickers bar during prep time, I am committed to making the needed changes if I can just figure out what they are. Hope to make some new supportive friends--in turn I will support you too.

Replies

• walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    this is a very supportive group. You may very well feel at home. Check out some of the posts. Welcome!!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, Nancy, congratulations on your retirement. Every day is a good day!!
  • shaldra
    Options
    I too am over 60 and found it impossible to loose weight. Finally took a complete lifestyle change including a move to Florida and semi-retirement to make diet changes both possible and doable. I needed to lose 130 to140 lbs and have now lost 102 lbs. Unfortunately, there were a couple of things I did not know about rapid weight loss of more then 2 to 4 lbs per month. The major one was that particularly in patients over 50 who have type 2 diabetes, OR high blood pressure OR elevated cholesterol OR kidney stones, there is a significant probability that even without an elevated uric acid, the patient will develop gout. I managed to lose 100 lbs in 13 months or an average of nearly 8 lbs per month. Since I had all four of the given problems, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high choleresterol and kidney stones, I managed to develop gout. This occurred after I became a diet controlled diabetic, my blood pressure fell into the normal without medication, my cholesterol is below 200 with medication and kidney stones have been absent for 18 months. Uric acid crystals could have been accumulating in the joints of my fingers and toes as well as other places for months before gout symptoms appeared, but it was a surprise to all of my doctors when it was diagnosed.

My exercise program consists of swimming - aerobic exercises mostly along with strengthening exercises using Water Gym 80% resistant dumbbells and 60 -70 % resistance "noodles" . Total workout time is 1 1/2 to 2 hours, including abdominal crunches, water walking, treading water and lap swimming. Really works. I also try to walk for 15 to 20 minutes a day which has proven difficult. I swim at a local spa where the pool is warm and they have excellent water aerobics classes 6 days a week if you care to particapate.
  • Liz_M_
    Liz_M_ Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I am quite new here and love this site. There is a lot of information and a ton of support. :flowerforyou:
    You are welcome to add me to your friend list if you plan on logging in everyday and tracking. Good luck on your journey to good health.
    Liz
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I retired from education, too. I am new on this site and will make sure I have requested you to be a friend. If I can remember how to do that. :wink: We are hikers, too, and that is my motivation, as well. Go into retirement in good health. Wishing you well...

Berma
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options

My exercise program consists of swimming - aerobic exercises mostly along with strengthening exercises using Water Gym 80% resistant dumbbells and 60 -70 % resistance "noodles" . Total workout time is 1 1/2 to 2 hours, including abdominal crunches, water walking, treading water and lap swimming. Really works. I also try to walk for 15 to 20 minutes a day which has proven difficult. I swim at a local spa where the pool is warm and they have excellent water aerobics classes 6 days a week if you care to particapate.

I love water aerobics. I take classes 5 days a week 45-60min per day depending on what's offered. I've been doing that since I retired in June. I couldn't stand up straight, had constant knee pain, and couldn't walk right. That's all gone away AND I dropped 20 points on my cholesterol test. I also added a gentle yoga class in January and I can already feel a difference in my upper body tension. I think I am becoming addicted to exercise. Better than food, right? LOL
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new, too, and also working on building a support system. You're welcome to add me as a friend.
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am new too. You and others may add me. I need support also.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just took early retirement in May. I was working 12 hour shifts with forced OT. It was a very physical job and I would go home so stiff and sore. I have all the free time in the world to go to the gym, but don't do it. I need to change that.

Mary Ann
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi--

Also new here. I am a 70 year old semi-retired person (the adjunct professor has retired; the writer will never retire). I have a skinny but very supportive husband. I am not sure how much weight I will ultimately lose--or need to lose. I weighed in at 230 the last time I saw my PCP, who sent me to the cardiologist because I have edema in one ankle and am very short of breath. No diabetes, No congestive heart failure, but I "flunked" the EKG. I have only about 20% - 30 % of the staying power expected for me! I also have carotid artery disease even though my cholesterol has never been a red-flag issue. The cardiologist wants to start me on statins, but I'm very resistant. Childish, maybe, but I resist taking pills. We agreed that I'd lose eight pounds in two months and start walking half an hour a day. Then we'd see where we were. So far, I'm on track. Have lost five pounds. and do 1/2 hour on the stationery bike and/or 1/2 hour of walking every day. I also do a bunch of exercises my physical therapist gave me for rotator cuff, knee, and hip issues. I take the odd yoga class. And I do Alexander technique--more body awareness than exercise.

My knees hurt, my feet hurt, my hips hurt. I get winded really fast. I have GERD. My PCP says that these physical problems are the direct result of my obesity, yet I've had a hard time breaking out of my sedentary, snacking fog. I worry about the wrong stuff, I guess. I For instance, I worry that if I lose a lot of weight, my skin won't snap back. I'll look droopy and wrinkled like an elephant. I should worry more about those carotid arteries full of plaque so near my brain!

Anyway, the weight I'm losing in this initial two-month period is only the beginning of a long journey. I'm buckling down. Would so welcome friends who are somewhere near my age and have embarked on similar journeys.

My friends call me Patrizia.
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey, also retired this year an am delighted to be your friend. Together we will shed those pounds. I have about 20 to lose and those same 20 have been with me about 10 years. Time to let them go!!
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just want to let you know that I am cheering for you!! It is great that you are working towards this gift of improved health.

And I am embarking on a post-retirement effort to start writing!! I will look forward to your posts. I would love to know more about your writing interests and direction.
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! This is quite a journey and this site is fantastic! Send me a request. I would love to be your friend.!

Mary
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    Greetings Nancy, This is a great group. the chat tab is where we usually add daily encouragement and keep current with our day. Retirement has been good to me...I work more and longer hours now than ever....but it's a labor of LOVE!

sherry