One Mealers

Options
Gentyl
Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
I've been hearing and seeing more and more that many keto-ers eat just one main meal per day with a few snacks throughout the day. I'm really curious as to why this is because lately I've noticed that the time between my lunch and my dinner have gotten shorter.

Replies

• Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    I typically only eat from around 2 pm to 7 pm. As I got more keto adapted my cravings for food dissipated. Now a couple of cups of coffee with cream tides me over most of the day..ok more then a couple of cups..I drink coffee like a fiend but yeah food cravings went away. Actually don't think of it as hunger or food cravings..it's the body wanting sugar because it's like a drug to our systems..as you detox it will go subside.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way toward this myself. I've started doing Bulletproof coffee in the morning, a Quest bar for early afternoon snack and then want to have a big piece of steak/chicken and large serving of veggies for dinner.

I have several reasons for this. 1) I would like to suppress my snacking during the day, it can lead to a slippery slope. 2) I was consuming more processed meats than is probably healthy (but hey it got me where I am today, so it does work). 3) I want to eat more veggies. I think this evolution may lead me to a more organic lifestyle (since only one serving of meat and veggies shouldn't be that much $), which wasn't a goal going into this, but is definitely a win in my book!

I'm thinking that the key to this really is the Bulletproof coffee. It's a great appetite suppressant and has been working for me, 6 days and counting. I've found I'm drinking more water too. I'm usually at at least 9 cups a day, but am trying to remember to do 3 cups each by 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm. That has helped keep my hunger at bay.

It's also important to know that one meal doesn't mean low calories. Bulletproof coffee and Quest bars aren't necessarily low calories. I still come out around 1200-1500 calories daily.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not so concerned about the calories so much. I try to keep it under 1400, usually around 1200 for now And then I'll bump it up to 1400 - 1500 for a day or so and then I'll go back down ( just to keep it interesting). Every once in a while I'll go up to 1800. It's just that I've noticed that long long long term keto-ers have one humongous high calorie delicious meal with some snacks during the day. I mention this because for some reason I've been slowly gravitating that way. I'll have, say, 6 to 8 cups of Almond milk. A couple of shots of expresso., maybe some Rooibos tea before lunch, then have a good hearty lunch around 12 or 1:00 ( between 550 and 750 calories) and then a good dinner at around 4:00 - 4:30. My macros are 70% Fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs (not net carbs). Then, I'm not hungry for the rest of the day. I may have some more coffee or tea, a powerade zero, some Pepsi ones (ha) throughout the day and evening. But, I'm not understanding why it is that I can eat lunch and want more food 2 hours later.

Has anyone experienced this before? Oh. I'm not very active. Really.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I prefer two meals a day. I eat a late breakfast and early dinner (10:00AM and 4:30PM-ish). No snacks. I'm never hungry at dinner time, but I know that if I don't eat then, I will be within the hour.

For me too, coffee is my friend. I probably had 6 mugs yesterday - all with heavy whipping cream. Not only does it give me a boost from the caffeine, but it I really love it. A real treat any time I want it. I think that the fat takes away the hunger. Not sure, but it seems to for me.
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So there is a connection between my keto style to my sudden increase in coffee drinking??
    woo!! Justification!

I thought it was just me getting bad about coffee, but I had noticed an increase since going keto and not being hungry in the mornings.

I typically eat two meals; lunch and dinner. I realized early on that when I eat breakfast or some snack in the mornings that it starts a rough day to stay in control of the snacking habits.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Since becoming ketogenic, I tend to have a 6-8 hour eating window and usually have two big meals. On the weekend, I sometimes have a small meal and a big one. I just no longer need to be constantly eating. Even my big meals look smallish because I eat such nutrient dense food. I've never, ever felt better than how I feel now.

So, I'm not a "one mealer" but I think I probably would be if I didn't have to work and could just do my own natural schedule on a 24/7 basis.

And I love my coffee too. On occasion, if I'm getting too carried away with it, I will quit for awhile, but as long as I have no negative consequences I will continue to enjoy it. :)