Greeting Mutualbankers!

Options
Just giving you some scoop on "who I am," from a fitness standpoint. I'm struggling but trying. I "sat down" 16 years ago after having my only child, and haven't moved enough (physically) consistently over time. Yet. I'm a former athlete - many many moons ago - from volleyball to tennis to weight-lifting. My weight continues to go up, up, up, and I'm also a stress-eater. Agh! I fail all diets, and am dead-set against dieting per se - it's a "four letter word" in my vocab.

My cholesterol and blood pressure are showing signs of going in the wrong direction and I want to avoid any medications I can.

I'm a 3-year (thyroid) cancer survivor, and have enough sense to know I need to exercise more and eat better. Yet, the couch has a significant pull on me - once I"m home from the office. :)

I am taking small steps to eat healthier, and begin exercising consistently. How about you - what's your story, and why are you participating in GetFit?

Replies

• eramsey1234
    Options
    Here's my story, I am in my thirtes and have always had a little extra weight my entire life. I always wanted to be one of the skinny girls in high school and college, but never acheived it. I came close once!

Now I still want to be one of the skinny girls but for different reasons. I have a family history of hear troubles and diabetes. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with Poly Cystic Ovarian Snydrome (PCOS). Beacuse of this I have an additional predispostion to diabetes, so I kind of have a double whammy. I know that if I can get in shape and drop some of the extra pounds I would feel a lot better and some of the symptoms would go away.

In addition I have a bad disc in my low back that limits some things I do, but dosen't keep me down. I have had it for a couple of years and have been able to avoid surgery. One of my goals for 2013 is to build up some internal stability to help support my back and make sure I never have to have surgery!

I too would like to avoid medications, but if I can't get things under control I won't have much of a choice. So here is to 2013 the year that I finally get it all on track and get in shape. I love the fact that we have such a supportive group for fitness. The people I have been around at Mutual have been inspiring, more than any other place I have worked. Thanks to everyone!
  • BekaSteele
    BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm super excited for GetFit 2013! I love a challenge & am excited for the next few months. I've always enjoyed working out, but that problem is I enjoy eating too :) I always joke that you can tell if I've had a bad day based on what I'm eating - but it's sad how true that is.
    I'm really excited to have MFP as part of our challenge this year - I think being held accountable to what I eat is going to be really good for me.
    I'm also really excited to see a culture change at the bank, I'd love to see the support on MFP continue at the bank - lets be cheerleaders for each other's health! :happy:
  • stephaniejohnson17
    Options
    I’ve always been able to eat WHATEVER I wanted to without any repercussions; And have always fully taken advantage of that. But now, after two kids and joining the 30’s club, my metabolism is going downhill, FAST! I totally have my mom’s body now! haha :smile: And I know as soon as I get done nursing my son the pounds are only going to increase more. I definitely want to lose a few pounds but I also want to do a lot of toning. I want to start cooking and eating healthier meals and control my PORTIONS – always a huge problem for me! I’m not too hung up on the LBs but would just love to feel good in an old pair of jeans going on a hot date with my husband. Bring it on GetFit 2013!!
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    Hi all!

My story starts years ago. I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years. As a competitive swimmer you burn thousands of calories a day. Additionally, I was blessed with some decently high metabolism. After high school, I was burned out on swimming, so I didn't swim in college. Wow. What happened next was that I kept the diet of macaroni and cheese and dessert every night. That, mixed with a lack of desire to exercise helped me to gain weight over my college years. When I graduated high school, I was 125 lbs. (BTW, being 5'10" that is a bit too thin, but I couldn't avoid it since I swam so much.) By the end of college, I was 160 lbs. I got married and continued on the path of eating what I wanted and not exercising at all.

Almost three years ago, I decided I was not feeling good and I wanted to be healthier. I joined Operation Fit at the YMCA. It kicked my butt. After Operation Fit, I quit. I didn't continue on the path of exercising. Part of it was that I wasn't comfortable at the Y. I wasn't sure where to go, what to do, and I felt like everyone was watching me. So I quit. A year went by and I thought, I can't keep making excuses. I have scoliosis (Curvature of the spine) and had hypothyroidism and thought, I can't use these as crutches to my lack of weight loss.

So Operation Fit started again and I was determined to make exercise a part of my lifestyle. So I completed Operation Fit. Made some relationships with people who participated in other classes. Went to other classes and now can say I've been working out consistently (3 or more times a week) for almost two years.

What was surprising to me was after 1 1/2 years of working out, I gained three pounds. You read that right. So recently, my husband and I have been making changes to our eating. I learned that sometimes working out is just not enough. Yes, I lost inches. Yes, I gained muscle mass. YES, I WAS HEALTHIER. But I have not gotten to a weight that is more appropriate for my height. I'm currently at 183 (down 2.5 lbs since January 1).

My goal is to maintain a regular plan of exercise. (I go to the Y now 4-6 days a week) and make healthier food changes. My goal is to get to 165lbs by the end of the year. My goal is for slow and steady lifestyle changes that are sustainable.

Thanks for reading my story!
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Your stories are so diverse and interesting. I think this year's GetFit will be a grand adventure!

I'm pleased to report I'm starting my 4th week of working out with a personal trainer at Studio 22. I'm paying a LOT, but after trying so many other ways, and with so many positive stories about Studio 22, felt it was the right place for me. My 16-year old daughter is going, too, and my first goal is to get into the habit of going to the gym. We are on our 4th week of going 2x/week. I need to move that to 3x and add a day of cardio, but that scares me. I'd rather do almost anything EXCEPT cardio.

I'm trying to pace myself. Working toward adding a volleyball day. Soon. Soon. I also have to tempor my eating. I have VERY bad habits, and love sweets. One day at a time, everyone!
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Really? A Domino's Pizza ad on MyFitnessPal?
  • ohwanttobe
    Options
    I am not one to put my life story out there, so here is an edited version. My husband has chronic pain in his legs caused by genetic issues. This keeps him from exercising and I have allowed this to keep me down on the couch as well. At 41 I need to be healthier. I feel like it is now or never. My kids need it and hopefully it will inspire my husband. So here we go...
  • BekaSteele
    Options
    Dororthy - that's terrible! Pizza = too many calories! lol
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Yes, I thought the ad on here was terribly inappropriate too! Keep going Mutual friends, and don't forget to invite MORE MutualBankers! Let's go, let's go!
  • eramsey1234
    Options
    It's ok Dorothy, pizza every once in a while is good for you. And it can be healthy. One of my favorite pizzas is spinach and feta cheese. You can add other healthly items and still have your pizza! I found that is one of my biggest helps is when I can still have the "no no item" (such as pizza or burgers) but get creative and make it healthly.
  • jyarbs19
    jyarbs19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK, I've joined the group. My story isn't much different than many of yours. I'm 41, post kids, post hysterectomy, haven't watched what I ate enough, nor exercised enough. Yo-yo'd for a few years etc. In November, I started working out twice a week with a personal trainer to help me jump start exercising. That went pretty well and I'm getting to the gym more often now, but not as consistently as I would like. I noticed that I was hungrier working out and actually gained 8 pounds through December. Yikes! December 29th I decided to get serious because my cholesterol and triglycerides were rediculously high since summer and they weren't going down enough, even with meds. I've been doing nutrisystem since then and I'm down so far 8 pounds. Woo Hoo!

Nutrisystem food is OK, it's pretty expensive though. It's been a great lesson in convenience and portion control. I only plan to stay on it four more weeks, then I'm switching to my own 1,200 calorie eating plan. The biggest lesson learned so far is that lower glycemic index foods seem better for me, plus lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Portions are critical! It's easy to see that I have been over indulging on the portion size.

I'm looking forward to continued success and motivation from my MB coworkers. Good luck with your goals, I'm going to be rocking a pair of designer jeans when this is all said and done!
  • BekaSteele
    Options
    mmm..designer jeans!!
  • irishmeg13
    Options
    I am also not one to put my life story out there ... Suffice it to say, an illness and related surgeries sidelined me for almost a year and I used that as an excuse for the last year to just continue to maintain ... I need to be better ... started out the year well and just need to keep. it. going.
  • tinamchadwick
    Options
    For the cardio I have found the Wii Just Dance 4 gives a great heart rate boost and is a lot of fun. My daughter and I use it as a compitition, therefore being a great work out.
  • mbanes
    mbanes Posts: 10
    Options
    My story is similiar to everyone elses also. I am always "dieting" and never losing weight, sigh :( I walk, fast paced, 2 miles at least 4 times a week on a treadmill and still no loss. I went for my annual physical in January and discussed this with my doctor and was amazed when she told me the new excercise "standard" for weight loss is working out 5 times a week for no less than 60 minutes each time :( uugghh It is difficult to fit in the time that i was already working out and now i need to find a way to do it more often and longer. I am committed and will find a way no matter what :smile: I agree with Jenny, new jeans at the end of this challenge is a must!
  • annemay2662
    Options
    :smile: I'm cheering for you Karen!
  • annemay2662
    Options
    I don't have an amazing story, just the normal. I have been able to lose weight before but never have been able to keep it off. Like many others, the couch, or in my case, the computer chair is my best friend when i get home from work. Maybe it was my mindset going in, lose the weight and that was all i thought about, but after that, what comes next? For me it was back to the same old way of eating. Starting out gradually but usually ending up in the same pattern as before. Being 50 (eek) now, with 2 small grandchildren:heart: , i feel like i need to do something more stable, not necessarily just losing weight but being healthy so i can be around for many more years and watch my grandchildren grow up :smile:
  • grandmama59
    Options
    New jeans???? I'd just love to fit in my old jeans! Some of them are brand new or almost brand new.