Thinking about Increasing my Dosage

Options
I am taking (2) 100 mg tablets per day and just do not feel better yet. I am thinking to increase to (3) tablets. This would mean that I would be taking 300 mg of levo per day. Any input on whether or not I should do this?

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes, my input is that you should consult with your doctor. Your doctor should be the one working with you to determine the proper dose that you need to be on. 200 is a significant dose as is and a change from 200 to 300 is a drastic jump. As with any medication, it can be dangerous to and you should not mess with your prescription without your doctor's input.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    I would be careful increasing dosage without doing a blood test to see where you're at with your levels. How long have you been on the 200 mg/day?

You just need to make sure you don't throw your body into hyper - mode, which can be dangerous.
  • RGlass85374
    Options
    I have been on the 200 mg per day for the past 2/3 months. I am going to refill my prescription again and continue with the 200 mg for now...
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am taking (2) 100 mg tablets per day and just do not feel better yet. I am thinking to increase to (3) tablets. This would mean that I would be taking 300 mg of levo per day. Any input on whether or not I should do this?

A definite NO!!!

How long have you been on the 200 mcgs? It takes 6-8 weeks to get the full effect of dose increase.

300 mcgs is a crazy high dose. If you aren't feeling better on 200 mcgs it's probably because you're on the wrong meds. Does your doctor test free T3 and free T4? If not you need to go get those tested now.

T3 is the active thyroid hormone, and if you aren't feeling better than it's probably too low. Your current med only contains T4. If your body isn't able to convert T4 into T3 then no med increase will make you feel better.

I would suggest going to get your free T3 tested, and if it's low you have two options:
    a) add a synthetic T3 like cytomel
    b) switch to a dessicated med that contains both T3 and T4, like Nature Thyroid or Armour
  • RGlass85374
    Options
    I think I will just maintain 200 mg tabs and work on my diet for now. I do think that is where it all needs to start. My metabolism feels low and I feel lethargic. Perhaps this combination with some exercise may improve how I feel daily. I may even start waking up earlier so I don't have that "Just woke up" feeling when I get to work.
    I need to focus on my health better and I think the levo will follow suit.

Thanks all, for your input.
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    HI, so I was on 150 mcg and felt really poorly still so I did this (maybe wrong)

I booked myself in for my levels, had the bloods taken then upped (self medicated) my dose to 200 mcg. Waited till I got my results and told my Doc (a week later). My results were 4.8 which although classed as ok are high. I then told my Doc I had upped my dose to 200 mcg and after a week felt amazing! My Doc said to stay on the 200 mcg and book in for more bloods in 6 weeks and see if my level is more around the 1.0 level... Results today!!

I have never felt so great! I got diagnosed at 15 and I'm now 28 so I feel I know my body and my Doc listens, she is amazing!
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    I also went gluten free, which is the best thing I ever did!
    HI, so I was on 150 mcg and felt really poorly still so I did this (maybe wrong)

I booked myself in for my levels, had the bloods taken then upped (self medicated) my dose to 200 mcg. Waited till I got my results and told my Doc (a week later). My results were 4.8 which although classed as ok are high. I then told my Doc I had upped my dose to 200 mcg and after a week felt amazing! My Doc said to stay on the 200 mcg and book in for more bloods in 6 weeks and see if my level is more around the 1.0 level... Results today!!

I have never felt so great! I got diagnosed at 15 and I'm now 28 so I feel I know my body and my Doc listens, she is amazing!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I think I will just maintain 200 mg tabs and work on my diet for now. I do think that is where it all needs to start. My metabolism feels low and I feel lethargic. Perhaps this combination with some exercise may improve how I feel daily. I may even start waking up earlier so I don't have that "Just woke up" feeling when I get to work.
    I need to focus on my health better and I think the levo will follow suit.

Thanks all, for your input.

I think you're tired because your body isn't making T3 from your T4-only med. I would go get your free T3 levels checked.