NIght eating anyone?

Options
wllwsmmr
wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
I think it is a bad habit I got aside from binge eating (Binging at night before I sleep, the worst combination ever!!!) I do it almost every night ): I do so well the whole day and then do that so I'm always over my daily caloric limit ): Any one else having this problem or knows how to cure this?

I have tried to control it but I couldn't get to sleep despite how tired I was and stayed up til 5am before deciding to eat.. ):

Sigh I know ultimately I have to be the one to change my mentality and all but wondering if anyone has any experiences too?

Replies

• ashleyolivia
    ashleyolivia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My binges almost always happen at night. I think part of it's the fact that I'm tired and part of it is that I've been resisting ALL day and I just can't resist any longer.

I think it helps when I do something in the evenings besides watching TV (reading a book, cleaning the house, etc.) and also brushing my teeth, putting my retainer in, and getting in bed. If you stayed up all night wanting to binge those things may not help you. I'm usually ok once I get into bed, it's just getting myself out of the fridge and into bed that's the hard part..
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm usually ok once I get into bed, it's just getting myself out of the fridge and into bed that's the hard part..

THIS. Ugh I binged last night at 10 pm after coming home from the gym. I had almost met my calorie allotment and completed it with an entire batch of homemade kale chips. But then I also had a whole wheat tortilla while waiting for the chips to bake. ANd some leftover chicken in curry yogurt sauce with red bell pepper and mango. And when I woke up around 2 am, I ate strawberry cream cheese and a yogurt. Ugh. Really disgusted with myself.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a lot of calories before bed, generally 400-500, but I don't have breakfast and tend to not have a large amount in the daytime, so it balances itself out. You cannot do both really. I would certainly be going over goals if I were to eat before bed, and eat when I got up, but I do not. Your body has probably become used to eating before bed, and if you do get hungry before bed(especially if you go to bed late), then there is nothing wrong with eating something, if it is done in a controlled way. I have a piece of fruit, a hard boiled egg and some greek yoghurt with peanut flour and oatmeal mixed in before bed every night. I have dinner at 9pm or so, and don't go to bed until 2am, and I tend to get hungrier at night than in day, so this works for me.

However, because I take a sleeping pill and that reduces control, I do sometimes find I binge at night, if I stay up too long. It is the time of day where most people are winding down, getting sleepy and as a result, are less in control. Best thing is to do what I am doing, and switch everything off earlier each night and go to bed. Ignore the urges to binge for a few nights, even if you find it harder to sleep, and eventually you will adjust. Have something to eat before bed, preferably something higher in protein, maybe with a hot chocolate. so you do sate any hunger, then go to bed and ready.

In the case of the person above me, well, it could simply be that your workout burnt more than your hrm/mfp showed, and your body wanted more nutrition. It happens sometimes, and the foods you did eat sound very healthy. I don't think it necessarily is always a binge when we eat more than we had intended on eating, if we are eating in response to genuine hunger.
  • nemelkb
    Options
    I tend to be busy during the day and out and about so much that I rely on what I pack. I also try not to eat much during the day to keep my calories down. This leads me to either binge at night or have a full day of binging when I am home. It's become a real problem. I try to get a hold of it and do well for about two weeks then I end up having a binge. I have tried telling myself to go 100% cold turkey o my binge items, but I always fail. I am on day five of this attempt again and hoping to succeed this time!