How do you ensure you get your workout in?

Options
jyarbs19
jyarbs19 Posts: 6 Member
Hi MutualBankers,
I'm doing pretty well with eating changes, but I'm sporadically hitting the gym for my workouts. I say I'll go in the evening, then something comes up or the kids schedule is crazy. I'll try for morning, but sleep calls. Those of you who make it consistently, what is your advice?

Replies

• mjohnson83
    Options
    If you can't always go to the gym it doesn't mean you can't still workout at home. That's what I do!! I even do it while watching my favorite show or a cartoon that my 2 year old is making me watch. I know it is hard to get to the gym so I have been doing a lot of workouts at home!!
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    Honestly...for me it has been a lifestyle change. In the past, I'd get home from work, eat dinner and maybe do some things around the house. Now it's, work, work out, eat dinner and I've made a goal of doing one thing each night before I sit down to watch TV. So, I might clean the kitchen, sort through items, organize a closet...something. I don't allow laundry to be one of those things and if there is laundry to be done, I do that while watching TV.

The phrase that kicked my butt when I was trying to make changes to my lifestyle was "You spend time on the things that are important to you." I'm not saying workout over kid's stuff. But I'm choosing to sacrifice 45-60 minutes of being at home for the betterment of me.

Commitment. It's hard...but you can do it!!! Accountability helps!
  • habright
    habright Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I am consistently working out, it is always in the morning. It’s brutal and I dislike it but there is almost never a reason why it can’t be done other than “I don’t want to.” In the evening there are always “more important things” (e.g. kids’ activities, dinner prep, something to do which requires a shower after working out, or just exhaustion from the day).

When I work out in the morning it’s out of the way first thing, I have more energy for the day, I’m usually in a healthier mindset for my day and I only need one shower. Oh, and I go to bed a little earlier which is less time at night to give in to bad eating and drinking! :)

For the last couple of months I have met a friend at the Y at 5:30am 3 days a week which makes me so much more committed. I do videos at home sometimes too but I’m not as committed as when I have a plan to meet someone. I’m not very good at planning social things so meeting her actually gives me some social time which I think makes me healthier in other ways.
  • grandmama59
    Options
    My younger grandkids love to go walking and playing outside this time of year. So I try to take the time to go for a walk or play football or some other outside activity with them. It also helps them run off some of the pent-up energy they have from sitting in school all day. They like to move fast so it's a workout just trying to keep up with them!