HELP!

Options
So last night I went to the Gastric Bypass/Lapband Seminar. The doctor basically said Bypass was the best option and Lapband has a high failure rate. But Im scared of the Bypass because of more complications but then the Lapband has bad complications too..ugh help im getting very discouraged now. I wanna go through with it but im scared to death! Anyone help me by telling me how their experience was with either getting the bypass or band please!

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have seen both success and failure with the lapband. Often people who get the lapband end up going back for bypass or the sleeve. Have you considered the sleeve? I personally chose RNY because it was permanent and I didn't like the fact that the band can erode through your stomach and slip as well, but ultimately the decision is yours. Do your homework and do what you feel you can live with. Now that they are doing the RNY laproscopically I don't feel that there are as many complications with it, but you still take your chances with any procedure. On a personal note I am happy with my choice and would choose to do it all over again - I feel that my experience was almost fairytale like.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The way I see it you have two or more options. 1. go to another surgeons seminar. Some doctors have an agenda to push one particular product for whatever reasons, bottom line is the doctor's recommendation should be based on your needs, lifestyle and goals not his. 2. List these complications you are scared of here and let those of us who have been through it tell you what it's really like so we can make less scary. It's not as if the doctors really know they just read about it or get the condensed version of the story from their patients which aren't as big of a random sample as you'll find here.

I personally had the RNY and have been very pleased with my results. I know women with my same surgeon who have had the sleeve and others with the band. How well they do is often a factor of how well they follow through with the lifestyle changes not which surgery they opted for. Your overall medical condition and the amount of weight you need to lose is what you should use to pick which surgery you should consider.
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Xcarrie3137, I have had a really successful bypass. Even with some complications. I had surgery on 11/28/12, I lost 30 lbs before surgery and have lost another 40 since. January 3rd I had to have emergency surgery, as I lost so much weight so fast my internal stitches came undone. They were able to go in laproscopically (inI the original incisions) and repair the hernia by tightening my stitches. I chose bypass because the success rate is higher and the weight loss is greater. If you want to read more about my experience, I am blogging about it on http://www.fredericksburgparent.net/blogs/weigh-in/

Good Luck!
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do lots of research. I chose RNY because of it's permanence. I was afraid that the lap band would slip/erode. I am very satisfied with RNY. I develop a stricture in the beginning and was on liquids for about 2 months, but would do it again in a minute :)
    Mandy
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    Thanks for all the info ladies!! They just called and I have my first appointment with the doc next week on 2/14.. How was the downtime for the RNY? i'm just worried I have 3 small children and I dont wanna be laid up in bed for too long..i know hospital stay is 2 days, Yeah that was my worry with the band also the moving and if you really want it to work you will always have to have it and the longer people seem to have it the more complications
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did not have either one of those procedures, but I did have VGS 7 months ago. The surgeon urged me to have the bypass and like you I was afraid of complications. I am happy with my choice, but I do agree that the bypass would probably have been the right procedure for me. My eating habits probably called for a more extreme surgery. Everybody is different and has to feel good about the choice they make. I agree with other suggestion to take in another seiminar. Good luck to you.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    With my RNY I was in the hospital mostly sleeping and walking the halls for 3 days. For the first week of recovery my husband managed the house and kids with very little input from me. I focused on pain management and walking and just resting. The second week I started to do more around the house just remembering not to lift anything heavy. I went back to work and did everything else like normal and was even cleared to exercise after 2 weeks and I can admit it was too much too soon because it took another 2 weeks before I felt like I was back to 100% physically and mentally. If I could have done it different I would not have rushed back to exercise, that really could have waited another couple of weeks without any real harm. My kids were 2 and 5 at the time and I prepared them for me being unable to pick them up and lift things in advance as well as explaining post surgery where not to squish me when they crawled into my lap. If I didn't have my husband to manage that first week I thin I would have needed a friend or grandparent to step in because while I could have figured out how to do the basics like car seats and diapers without lifting the kid, I was stil sleeping a lot and taking medication that I would not have wanted to drive while on so I would have needed some help transporting them to school and other kid things.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had rny on 9/27/12 and it was very easy. I only stayed in the hospital overnight and was good to travel the 3 hours back home the next morning. I have no problems tolerating food, my hair is not falling out, and I have lost most of my weight in four and a half months. I am only 10 pounds away from my surgeon's goal and about 30 away from mine. I have not vomited once. My only problem is constipation, but I already had that problem before the surgery. I would do this surgery again in a heartbeat.
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really suggest that you do your reasearch and that you are really confident on yourdecision. I chose RNY, and I have had no complications or issues. I am 1 1/2 years out from surgery and have hit my goal weight after loosing 30 pre op and 100 post op. I had a 2 night stay in the hospital, and 1 week at home before returning to work. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I chose to go with the sleeve surgery (VGS). My starting weight was much higher, 370. I had it done in October of 2009 and it's been smooth sailing ever since. My downtime...I was sitting poolside the next day, I had 3 kids at the time (I've since has one more) so down time was important. I liked that it was permanent without re routing my intestines.

The seminars are great for gaining information, as one previous poster said, sometimes the surgeons have a motivation to push one surgery over another.

But, I agree with you and previous posters...the lap band never looked appealing to me for its failure/slip rates and the constant maintenance and adjustments.

Best of luck to you!! :)
  • NeewMee
    NeewMee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a lap-band patient. Because of my insurance it took me two years to get approved - that gave me A LOT of time to think. I was terrified of ANY surgery. I even up-dated my will I was so scared. But you know what scared me more? Continuing to live like I was living pre-weight loss surgery! I had a lot more weight to lose than most people who choose lap-band. But I ultimately decided that it was the better choice for me. I was ok with losing weight at a slower rate. I felt it was a healthier choice- for me. No doctor can choose for you. I started out at 331.6 lbs. Less than two months later I am down just shy of 50 lbs! That is way above average for the lap-band. My doctor told me not to get discouraged if I lost a pound or two a week or even stayed the same some weeks... So far so good. I couldn't be happier with my choice. It works for me because I work with it. I work out and eat healthier. The band has been an amazing tool for me. I think all options have risks but any way you choose if you work the plan the doctors give you then you will be successful!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do is research. Research everything you can, ask questions, talk with the surgeon. You could also try finding a support group in your area and talk with them. www.obesityhelp.com has some good info and support too.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Do lots of research. I have seen some success with the band..and some not. Same with all surgeries though. I was thinking of either the sleeve or the bypass. I eventually chose the bypass because all of my research led me to believe that was the best option for diabetics and I have been diabetic since I was a child. Over the years I developed a lot of insulin resistance on top of my bad pancreas so it was even harder to lose weight and control my sugar. Within days of surgery my insulin resistance started resolving. I havent taken metformin since before surgery and my insulin requirements have dropped from around 200 units per day to a more "normal" 35-40. It was the best decision for me.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    As others have already said do lots of research. My program does all three, band, sleeve and RNY. They don't do much bands anymore and do alot more sleeves since insurance co's pay for it more and of course the RNY. I had sleeve done on 6/11/12. I started out at 270 and lost 47 pre op from 2/1/12 to surgery date 6/11/12 and have lost 80.40 more pounds post op in the last almost 8 months. I don't regret the sleeve surgery at all. I was torn between sleeve and RNY but was leaning towards sleeve. I asked my surgeon which one he thought was best and he had sleeve since I didn't have diabetes or high blood pressure. I really didn't want them messing with my bowel connection with the RNY. I can eat about anything but just small portions. It is just a tool and it still depends on me making good food choices. All my post op lab work at 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months have come back normal also.
    Good luck!
  • Andrewimm
    Options
    Seminars can be scary. The surgeon wouldnt be doing their job if they weren't presenting all the alternatives and every complication that could occur. I would run away from any surgeon that didnt present a full picture of each of the procedures.

Everybody's experience is different and you have to make the choice thats right for you. I wasn't interested in the Lap Band because of its higher failure rate. Almost everybody I've known that had lap band has gained their weight back. . I went into seminar thinking I wanted to get the sleeve but after all the info I was presented with I chose RNY because it made sense for me. Once you have your one on one consult with the doctor, discuss your concerns and they should give you a recomendation. But you are the boss, don't go with any surgery you aren't 100% comfortable is the right choice for you. I had my surgery on 12/27/12, I was only in the hospital one night and back home the next evening. I took 2 weeks off from work but really could have gone back after just one. (My job is behind a desk) I went back to the gym after 3 weeks.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I had RNY March 2012 and my husband had RNY April 2012. We have had ZERO complications. ZERO. I have lost 204 pounds and he has lost 156 pounds. BEST decision we have ever made.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I researched and prayed for about a year before deciding on the sleeve. I had the same band fears as mentioned and I was scared of the idea of having my intestines re-routed. The sleeve feels like a happy medium. I have had no issues other then the first week of nausea, very happy
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You have gotten alot of good info here. Do a lot of research before you see your surgeon so you will go in prepared with questions you want to ask. They should thoroughly explain each procedure to you and discuss what may be the best option for you. My insurance in my state does approve the sleeve (VSG) which I am having soon. Some states do not, but they will know all that. The reason I chose the sleeve is because you don't have malabsorption issues since your intestines remain intact. You also will not have to worry about "dumping" because that does not happen with the sleeve. You may have other health reasons why one is recommended for YOU over another. As you know this is a life long commitment, whatever you chose, be sure it is the choice for you that you can live with. Work hard on getting your mind right about it, work on changing eating habits now or as soon as you meet with your NUT , start exercising if you are not because you are going to have to after. Don't be afraid, just embrace the changes and decide if you can live with them.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The research I've done indicates Lap Band and Bypass have the same success rate but only at the 3 yr mark. Gastric Bypass is much faster weight loss over the first 2 yrs but then there is usually a greater likelihood of gaining weight back before stabilizing whereas lap band generally has slower but more consistent weight loss than then tapers and plateaus.

I'll admit I haven't seen any clinical studies comparing the 2 beyond 3 years. And sleeves are so new I remember going to a seminar where they weren't even approved in the US yet.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    alot of people who pay for the op themselves gooo for the cheapest! (band) BUT it really depends on how much weight you have to lose also,the more you have to lose the less likely you are to sucseed with the bad and then that leaves rny(bypass) or sleeve,which in my experience of talking to alot of people do suit bigger people!...any good surgeon should have told you this.
    but even when the surgeons do bring in the heavy guns(bypass/sleeve) you are only told you will lose 50/60% EXECESS body weight....
    and it is still the stricktest diet you have EVER EVER been on for the rest of your life too! with pills,calcium,protein and iorn ect!
    good luck with what you choose!