Do you have a binge escape plan?

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
If you make a binge escape plan, you will be better prepared to stop a binge even after it starts. Make a list of things that you can do to distract yourself.
post for help if I feel like I am teetering on the edge of failing.
go do house work
take a nap
get out of the house
GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN (this is especially important)
write it out (why do you want to binge? how do you fel while binging? etc...)
Do some form of exercise
Be positive. Say empowering things to yourself I can do this! I don't binge! I am going to make it today! etc...
Make a little box with things like gum, hard candy, a nail file, word games, etc... anything you can grab and use to distract yourself. In fact make two or three. Put them in various places throughout your house. One in the bedroom, near the couch in the living room, and of course one in the kitchen. They will be nearby anytime you need to grab one quick.

I will say this, going to the store can back fire. That is where all the tasty treats are! You may not want to put yourself in that position in the beginning.

Do you have a plan? Please share yours!

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do.

Best ones for me: going for a walk, listening to podcasts, taking a shower, staying in my room on the laptop going on instant messengers and chatting people, going to the library or any public place even if im with no one i know atleast im around people.

*going for a walk
    *browsing new music, listening to music
    *watching a favorite movie, or a new one, comedies help me
    *telling my negative thoughts to get lost
    *dress up nicely, put on makeup
    *sketch/doodle
    *read a book, drink tea
    *lay on my back ; breathe slowly, staying in the moment and observing my thoughts
    *go to a park and swing
    *pre planning tomorrow, making a list of goals or plans for myself...seriously, even sometimes pre planning meals makes me feel better. Telling myself I'm not hungry BUT there is always going to be another meal, and I can have any foods I want in moderation
    *calling / texting a friend
    *doing something nice for someone or complimenting them - gets me thinking about someone else other than MYSELF
    *look at old pictures, make a scrapbook, take new pictures of scenery
    *take a nap
    *journal/diary
    *smile/sing/dance/skate
    *HUG SOMEONE
    *do laundry or any other chores
    *go find youtube videos that interest
    *do crossword puzzles, play video games, do yoga, go shopping, rearrange a room,play with a pet, braid hair, paint nails, put on some pretty smelling lotion
    *light some candles

Basically.. do stuff that make you feel better, distract you, take care of yourself/pamper yourself... don't isolate. DEFINITELY get out of the kitchen, like you said!

Hope this helps.

x
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    AWESOME ideas ladies!! Thank you!!
    Options
    I just thougof another good one. Give yourself a facial. Who can eat with a mud pack on their face?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Have food on hand that I don't binge on. Think I'm hungry? Well if I am then I'm hungry enough for steak, ground beef, or worst case scenario, scrambled eggs. If none of those appeal it just means I'm craving, not really hungry.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My binge escape plan usually amounts to eating as much food as I can in as short a period of time as possible to distract me from how hungry I am. It always works.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I just thougof another good one. Give yourself a facial. Who can eat with a mud pack on their face?

Wow, really love that idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Options
    My binge escape plan usually amounts to eating as much food as I can in as short a period of time as possible to distract me from how hungry I am. It always works.

I am going to try and have a sense of humor about this one. But what would you do if you really wanted to avoid doing this? What would stop you in your tracks besides an invisible force field around the kitchen?
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    These are good ideas, thanks ladies.
  • lilrudegal
    lilrudegal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the facial suggestion... it's inspired me to paint my nails this very minute (hopefully the urge will pass before they dry - I've not binged for just over a month now, but can feel myself on the verge of losing control).
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to check out over the weekend. Thanks!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!!! I am coming up with a list right now and putting where I can see it.

Facial is great!!!!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What kind of escape plan do you have if you aren't in a situation where you can do what you want to escape? I.e., when i feel overwhelmed by a dfficult task at work, I want to binge. Normally, I would crochet or hula hoop to keep myself busy and away from the food but this is obviously not a viable option when at work. Lately, I just chew gum, and drink a glass of water and a mug of tea or coffee but many times that doesn't cut it.
  • Reza151
    Options
    What kind of escape plan do you have if you aren't in a situation where you can do what you want to escape? I.e., when i feel overwhelmed by a dfficult task at work, I want to binge. Normally, I would crochet or hula hoop to keep myself busy and away from the food but this is obviously not a viable option when at work. Lately, I just chew gum, and drink a glass of water and a mug of tea or coffee but many times that doesn't cut it.

bump
  • Reza151
    Options

bump

Anybody? I've already eaten my half peanut buttr sandwich meant to be for before my workout, and i ate it an hour after eating my lunch... :-/
  • kate99931
    kate99931 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A few ideas for reza-do something, anything to break the tension of the moment like walk outside for a moment for fresh air, watch a cute video on the internet, get up and have a laugh with a coworker, stretch at your desk doing neck rolls and concentrating on breathing, call someone you love, think about all the things you have to be grateful for in your life. Hope that helps-my go to one is take a shower but you probably can't do that at work!!
  • Reza151
    Options
    A few ideas for reza-do something, anything to break the tension of the moment like walk outside for a moment for fresh air, watch a cute video on the internet, get up and have a laugh with a coworker, stretch at your desk doing neck rolls and concentrating on breathing, call someone you love, think about all the things you have to be grateful for in your life. Hope that helps-my go to one is take a shower but you probably can't do that at work!!

I really like the going for a walk idea. That will be refreshing and get me away from the food. Thanks :-)
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have an escape plan but I never seem to use it. I have all these great ideas and things that work to stop binges but when I really want to binge it's almost like when smokers say that they don't want to stop. In that moment I don't want to stop, I don't want to even think about using my escape plan. I just want to enjoy sugary foods.

Does anyone know how to get out of this mind set once you're heading down the path? I have successfully used my escape plan when I just want to pick at things but there are certain days when nothing is stopping me and I deliberately don't even think about it.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Now that I have children, my plan usually revolves around housework, but I used to paint my nails. It stopped me from eating while they dried and by the time they were dry, the urge to binge was usually gone.
  • Reza151
    Options
    Now that I have children, my plan usually revolves around housework, but I used to paint my nails. It stopped me from eating while they dried and by the time they were dry, the urge to binge was usually gone.
    '

Lately I've taken up crocheting to keep my hands busy. Though I really enjoy reading and watching movies/television, my hands aren't busy and my mind isn't focused so I still am able to binge. Crocheting has helped.

I really like the nail painting idea but my question is...what if you have a tendency to binge at least onec a day or every other day? THat seems like it would give the nails an unhealthy tinge in the end right? And make them brittle.
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have an escape plan but I never seem to use it. I have all these great ideas and things that work to stop binges but when I really want to binge it's almost like when smokers say that they don't want to stop. In that moment I don't want to stop, I don't want to even think about using my escape plan. I just want to enjoy sugary foods.

Does anyone know how to get out of this mind set once you're heading down the path? I have successfully used my escape plan when I just want to pick at things but there are certain days when nothing is stopping me and I deliberately don't even think about it.

For me, distracting myself when I'm feeling a powerful urge to binge usually isn't helpful (though it can be helpful when it's just a nagging feeling). When I feel that binge-buzz, I know it's because my brain wants the numbing/soothing chemicals (serotonin, maybe?) that result from a binge. My rational brain KNOWS, though, that that soothed feeling is temporary, and that what follows is the post-binge shame and self-loathing. Reminding myself of this cycle of feelings is helpful. So is writing through the binge--second by second, writing what I'm feeling, how much I want to binge, how much I don't really want to binge, chronicling the entire conflict. Reaching out to other people, especially others with disordered eating, also helps. My therapist also told me that, when I'm trying to avoid the crap feelings, I need to go ahead and feel them--they're just feelings, and they won't kill me (even though it can be very unpleasant). Employing all of these strategies helped me get through the last time I really struggled against bingeing without giving in.

It's just hard, dealing with BED.